Getting To And From Work By Motorbike

maxcherry

This is more aimed at those people who do not have access to a local transport system.

I am moving over to Thailand in a couple of weeks(out in the sticks) and I wanted to buy myself a motorbike to get to and from work.

I would like to know how do others get around the fact that when it rains and you get soaked on the way to work - what do you do? have a change of clothes in work?

I really cannot afford to buy a car

I ride 20 miles back and forth everyday through the Pennines in the UK.

Maybe it rarely rains as hard as in LOS, but I wouldn’t mind betting it rains more often.

A good set of modern motorcycle rain clothes will keep you completely dry. I use a “cat” suit.

I ride 20 miles back and forth everyday through the Pennines in the UK.

Maybe it rarely rains as hard as in LOS, but I wouldn’t mind betting it rains more often.

A good set of modern motorcycle rain clothes will keep you completely dry. I use a “cat” suit.

It may not rain as much here in Thailand but it is a lot hotter. Rain gear will likely make you more wet inside the cover than outside. Most rain here can be avoided if you allow a 15-30 minute window as it is usually just a heavy shower. But a change of clothes would be a good idea.

I commuted daily to a white-collar profession in Texas for 8 years on motorbike, and now two years in Thailand. Twice in the last 30 hours, because I forgot it's the start of the rainy season, I got drenched on the way home. Can't afford to do that on the way to work.

Buy one or two suits, either one-piece or two-piece, at home and bring it with you, because unless you're Thai size, you might not find one. I just brought over one US$100 suit and another is on its way next week. Don't buy a winter or fall weight rainsuit; it's always summer here. When it gets 'cold,' there's usually no rain. Try for bright colors and reflective stripes.

Two piece suits are a little handier. Wear washable (driable) tennis shoes and change to leather shoes at work.

If there's a downpour just before you leave for work (and you're normally punctual), Thais expect you to arrive late. Do not hurry in the rain. Lower your speed at least 20%. Visibility, which is critical, is greatly hampered by rain, not to mention road traction. Five minutes late is better than a life of paraplegia.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

ive got a two peice wet weather set... a jacket and trousers - look bloody daft as a brush when wearing them but it keeps me dry.

Should the rain get really bad and i simple have to travel i normally put my cloths in a plastic bag and ride to where ever i'm going in shorts and a t-shirt. Simply change your cloths when you arrive.

But like the others said, nobody expects you to arrive if its pissing down with rain...

Welll...I don't use anything hi-tech at all! I have one of the cheappy thin plastic rain coats the Thais wear, I roll up my trouser legs (if I'm wearing trousers) and I carry a spare pair of shoes. Haven't had any problems so far. I drive verrry slowly in the rain partly because I'm scared and partly because I can't see a ###### thing! Helmets with visors are a must. (better than my sunnies!)

Welll...I don't use anything hi-tech at all! I have one of the cheappy thin plastic rain coats the Thais wear, I roll up my trouser legs (if I'm wearing trousers) and I carry a spare pair of shoes. Haven't had any problems so far. I drive verrry slowly in the rain partly because I'm scared and partly because I can't see a ###### thing! Helmets with visors are a must. (better than my sunnies!)

I ride to work with professional leather gear, with protections on the spine, elbows, shoulders, + leather gloves.

I have in the Office plenty of shirts, and 2 suits + shoes

When they're used my secretary brings those dirty clothes to a nearby laundry shop, so no need to take them home.

I arrive in the office, I have a coffee, I change clothes and I start working, and I look serius indeed!!!

Safety first, and if you are on the bike with casual clothes, you do not need to go home and change, you can immediatly stop by and have a beer or some chat ...

This is more aimed at those people who do not have access to a local transport system.

I am moving over to Thailand in a couple of weeks(out in the sticks) and I wanted to buy myself a motorbike to get to and from work.

I would like to know how do others get around the fact that when it rains and you get soaked on the way to work - what do you do? have a change of clothes in work?

I really cannot afford to buy a car

Thailand has such a hot climate and the culture is such that not much protective gear is sold, made, or even worn locally.

You'll need at least a jacket. Best to bring something both cool and protective like:

http://www.fieldsheer.com/sections.php?display=mesh

Then you absolutely need a light BREATHABLE rainsuit like:

http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog%20page.html

Or:

http://www.rainshield.com/

You can bring rainboots like:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....=115&Division=1

Or you can wear waterproof socks and gaiters (note the gloves as well):

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/sealsocandgl.html

Best of all, you can wear waterproof and highly protective boots that also look great as street wear:

http://www.motonation.com/item.asp?cid=2&s...&pid=282&rdir=1

If you can't bring good stuff with you, you can try to find decent stuff in BKK (but the selection is limited and expensive). For a list of shops, see:

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/index.html

Rest in peace to Dan Storey and a hand full of other farang who have lost their life to motorcycle accidents in Phetchburi province...Co-teacher/friend, Dan's accident a few years ago was a matter of impaired ability on the bike after a night of partying. However, there are a few before him that were taken sober in rainy conditions..Wasn't real close to the others, just heard the stories.

I used to sport a susuki akura in Phetchburi back then...such freedom and convenience especially when my commute at that time just to my office was 70km roundtrip (from Bpuktien beach to Amphur muang)

Don't worry about getting wet so much...worry more about staying sober and alive on your bike. Don't take these little vehicles for granted like hundreds of other unfortunate farang and thousands and thousands of thais.