Colonoscopy

Thailand

I went to Ram a year ago and the cost was about 12,000B. Everything seemed to be done well and the cost was less than my insurance copay ten years ago in the US.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I am curious - do you recall whether you were put to sleep during the procedure?

I think it would be safe to say that you would be in good hands at either Sripat or C.M. Ram. There is a GI doctor (I forget his name) at Sripat who impressed me. He is a Professor or Associate Professor and his English was exceptional.

Ajarn Piset Pisetpongsa

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done at different times by Professor Kannika (woman) at Rajavej.

Some insurance companies want you to have this as an outpatient, so they don't have to pay the full whack. Both times she admitted me, telling the insurance that I was too anxious to have it done as an OP.

The cost including admission etc was 20,000 which the insurance paid. Actually I was nervous (but could have had it done as OP) and wanted reassurance that I wouldn't know anything about the procedure. I remember getting on the op table both times, turning on my side and that's all until I woke up.

I believe it's about 12,000 Baht if you have it done as an OP. My wife had a colonoscopy done at Ram by Dr Lee?. She was OK and he plays a CD for you afterwards showing the procedure, with little snips he takes off here and there - I thought he was very professional. I didn't get that just a discussion about the results.

It's a very standard procedure, but don't worry you won't feel anything. :)

Edited by PeaceBlondie
edited out mobile number as requested. PB

I went to Ram a year ago and the cost was about 12,000B. Everything seemed to be done well and the cost was less than my insurance copay ten years ago in the US.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I am curious - do you recall whether you were put to sleep during the procedure?

Yes. I cannot imagine not being asleep (although I suppose it may be possible to have it done under a spinal anaesthetic??). Just like Uptheos, all I remember of the actual procedure was turning on my side on the table. Then I woke up in a recovery room. After my head had cleared the doctor showed me the CD, although it was not exactly riveting viewing!

They usually give a combination of IV Demerol and Versed with sometimes a little Benadryl so you are not knocked out but really drowsy. I've had a few of them in the past when I was sick and the doctor performing the procedure always encouraged me to stay awake and watch the video monitor next to me. It is completely painless but you can feel the colon scope making its way through your colon and it's a weird sensation. You can not feel anything when they snip here and there for the biopsy.

I think it would be safe to say that you would be in good hands at either Sripat or C.M. Ram. There is a GI doctor (I forget his name) at Sripat who impressed me. He is a Professor or Associate Professor and his English was exceptional.

You're right..sometimes best not know who did the procedure..

Edited by rodcourt49

Had one a week ago at Ram.

Started the colon cleansing routine at 6 am, went to Ram at 10:30. Was checked in & waited a short time before going to theatre. Was given sedative gas & then an injection to put me out, & woke up one hour later having not even realised that it had been done. The surgeon gave me a short verbal report & a colour photo record of my interiors & I walked out 12 000 THB poorer but very satisfied with the whole experience. Will go back in 5 more years for my next check-up.

Best advice I can give is plaster your bum with barrier cream BEFORE you start the colon cleansing & repeat it regularly throughout & there will be none of that painful burning. :)

Had one a week ago at Ram.

Started the colon cleansing routine at 6 am, went to Ram at 10:30. Was checked in & waited a short time before going to theatre. Was given sedative gas & then an injection to put me out, & woke up one hour later having not even realised that it had been done. The surgeon gave me a short verbal report & a colour photo record of my interiors & I walked out 12 000 THB poorer but very satisfied with the whole experience. Will go back in 5 more years for my next check-up.

Best advice I can give is plaster your bum with barrier cream BEFORE you start the colon cleansing & repeat it regularly throughout & there will be none of that painful burning. :)

To the OP. Yep same here...nothing to worry about. :D

I like the fact that Ram gives a photo record, maybe that's the route to go.

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done at different times by Professor Kannika (woman) at Rajavej.

Some insurance companies want you to have this as an outpatient, so they don't have to pay the full whack. Both times she admitted me, telling the insurance that I was too anxious to have it done as an OP.

The cost including admission etc was 20,000 which the insurance paid. Actually I was nervous (but could have had it done as OP) and wanted reassurance that I wouldn't know anything about the procedure. I remember getting on the op table both times, turning on my side and that's all until I woke up.

I believe it's about 12,000 Baht if you have it done as an OP. My wife had a colonoscopy done at Ram by Dr Lee?. She was OK and he plays a CD for you afterwards showing the procedure, with little snips he takes off here and there - I thought he was very professional. I didn't get that just a discussion about the results.

I've undergone the colonoscopy procedure twice in the US as an outpatient and experienced the same as above - turned on my side, and woke up and it was over. I was curious if it is the same in the LOS. Nice to hear about this option of inpatient for I prefer that the insurance pays. I think that is the route I will take.

Had it twice in London at a private Harley Street hospital, paid by my firm's insurance. The last time was two years ago at a cost of £1,100 (50,000 baht) so I'm surprised it is as much as 20,000 baht in Thailand.

Both times as an outpatient under drowsiness drugs not an anesthetic. The consultant recommended it that way. One hour prep, one hour procedure and one hour tea and buscuits. Don't be wimps. Avoid the dangers of anesthetic. It doesn't hurt - it was mildly uncomfortable on a couple of occasions when the scope was pushed around a bend on the first visit (a bit like being punched by a two year old in the stomach, but I did not hesitate to do it that way again and the second time had no pain or discomfort at all - easy as falling off a log when you are not stressed about what to expect.

I would not mind betting that the Thai hospitals recommend an anesthetic and that the reasons are nothing to do with medical advisability!

Had it twice in London at a private Harley Street hospital, paid by my firm's insurance. The last time was two years ago at a cost of £1,100 (50,000 baht) so I'm surprised it is as much as 20,000 baht in Thailand.

Both times as an outpatient under drowsiness drugs not an anesthetic. The consultant recommended it that way. One hour prep, one hour procedure and one hour tea and buscuits. Don't be wimps. Avoid the dangers of anesthetic. It doesn't hurt - it was mildly uncomfortable on a couple of occasions when the scope was pushed around a bend on the first visit (a bit like being punched by a two year old in the stomach, but I did not hesitate to do it that way again and the second time had no pain or discomfort at all - easy as falling off a log when you are not stressed about what to expect.

I would not mind betting that the Thai hospitals recommend an anesthetic and that the reasons are nothing to do with medical advisability!

It's about 20,000 baht if you get admitted into a VIP room and stay overnight because you are in pain and anxious etc. Then insurance companies cough up. :D

As an outpatient it's 12,000 (240 pounds at todays rate) including anaesthesia, but a lot of insurance companies don't cover the procedure as an outpatient.

Tough guys can always opt to be fully awake. :)

I'm due for one anytime soon, and as a previous poster mentioned, the worst part is drinking all that rotten glug the day before. In Australia it's a two hour procedure from start to relaxing with a cuppa, and only mild sedation is given. It's interesting to watch on the TV monitor, and ask about the procedure.

A delicate hand on the end of the endoscope can make all the difference :)

It's about 20,000 baht if you get admitted into a VIP room and stay overnight because you are in pain and anxious etc. Then insurance companies cough up. :D

As an outpatient it's 12,000 (240 pounds at todays rate) including anaesthesia, but a lot of insurance companies don't cover the procedure as an outpatient.

Every insurance co is different. Mine will pay up to the equivalent of 16,000 baht. They don't care if it's inpatient or out. But obviously if I do it as an outpatient, I'm paying most of the extra expense.

ymmv.

Every insurance co is different. Mine will pay up to the equivalent of 16,000 baht. They don't care if it's inpatient or out. But obviously if I do it as an outpatient, I'm paying most of the extra expense.

ymmv.

Absolutely. Some people have great policies and other's fairly basic. It's a good idea to read exactly what the cover is, for in and outpatient treatment.

I had it also done at Rajavej by prf. Kannika. It also cost Bt12,000. I stayed overnight in the Hospital before the operation.

I had a deluxe suite for BtI,000. Total cost Bt about Bt13,000 so I can't undedrstand why or how you paid bT20,000

They usually give a combination of IV Demerol and Versed with sometimes a little Benadryl so you are not knocked out but really drowsy. I've had a few of them in the past when I was sick and the doctor performing the procedure always encouraged me to stay awake and watch the video monitor next to me. It is completely painless but you can feel the colon scope making its way through your colon and it's a weird sensation. You can not feel anything when they snip here and there for the biopsy.

Sounds awful! I'm glad I was asleep both when I had it here and in the US. No drowsiness for me.

It's a very standard procedure, but don't worry you won't feel anything. :D

I had it also done at Rajavej by prf. Kannika. It also cost Bt12,000. I stayed overnight in the Hospital before the operation.

I had a deluxe suite for BtI,000. Total cost Bt about Bt13,000 so I can't undedrstand why or how you paid bT20,000

Well, I didn't pay anything, the insurance did! :)

The deluxe suite, which has a seperate living room with TV and cooking facilities was all they (said ) had, is 3,000 Baht at Rajivej - I certainly didn't want or need it, but my insurance covers that so it was OK with me. The minute you are admitted to any hospital there are other costs apart from the room, so I don't know how you avoided them, but well done.

Costs, pre-op consultation, nursing charges, discharge medications etc, came to 20,000 Baht that's all I know. I had it done for a particular reason, not as a routine check up. Costs will certainly vary accordingly.

Next time I'll check out the 1,000 Baht deluxe suite.

This is never done as OP in the US. Thai people love the hospital, Esp Ram.

Colonoscopy is never done as an OP in the USA??? Not true. They are always done OP. I had about 5 of them in the USA some years back and there was usually a dozen others getting them done at the same time. Everyone was OP; arrive around 7:30 and usually on your way home around 12:30 depending on where you are in the queue. In the USA they have you start the cleansing at least 24 hours before the procedure. The day before you can only drink apple juice and clear broth. Then you drink that horrible stuff at about 23:00 the night before.