Colonoscopy

Thailand

On hmficc's post above it looks like I stated:

This is never done as OP in the US. Thai people love the hospital, Esp Ram.

I priced a hip replacement at BUM RUN and they wanted me 7 nights in hosp. I am having it done in the USA-2 nights just like last time 10 years ago. This hip replacement will use a new approach so I watched the surgery on line. One should accept responsibility for their health and inform themselves. So says I.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. I have had had 4 and it is cake.

For the record - these are NOT my posts

Mods - thanks for deleting that......how are other people's quotes put in with someone elses, so that even their name doesn't appear (as in the deleted post)? Not good. :)

Elektrified - you responded to hmficc's post, not mine. :D

A overnight stay in the hosp. is a money maker and not at all needed. We are in USA today. My wife had one today- in at 10 back at 2. She took a 1 hour nap and is now, 6 pm, outside playing with the grand kids. She has a slight sore throat and her lower bolw area ia a little sore as the doc said she had more than adverage twists and turns.

I have 4 of them out PT. Cake.

I am having a hip replaced tomorrow. Doc told me to expect a 2 night stay. Same as last time on the other hip 10 years ago.

I considered Bum Run. They told me to expect 7 nights. The nurses are eye candy but 7 nights of their food should be banned by the Geneva Convention.

Good on you to go for it. I had my first at 50 and they removed some early stage stuff the may have killed me by now.

I priced a hip replacement at BUM RUN and they wanted me 7 nights in hosp. I am having it done in the USA-2 nights just like last time 10 years ago. This hip replacement will use a new approach so I watched the surgery on line. One should accept responsibility for their health and inform themselves. So says I.

Very sorry uptheos. One should never drink and post

Very sorry uptheos. One should never drink and post

These things happen - mai bpen rai :)

• 9 months later...

I hadn't given a thought to having a colonoscopy until 2 days ago. I'm 57 and never had one (the last physical exam I had was in 1971 and only because the college I was admitted to required it) but my older sister, who had one 4 years ago at age 63, was diagonsed with colon cancer and had the tumor removed 3 weeks ago and is now undergoing chemo treatment.. My younger sister, aged 54, had polups removed last week. The other 3 brothers and sisters are fine. I'll be in C.M. from February 24 through March 9 and don't kow if that is enough time to have it done. My thai wife will be with me to translate, so the cheapest quality proceedure would be my preference. If I saw a doctor on February 25 and had the proceedure done early the following week, that would fit my schedule but I don't know for sure if it can be done that quickly.

I hadn't given a thought to having a colonoscopy until 2 days ago. I'm 57 and never had one (the last physical exam I had was in 1971 and only because the college I was admitted to required it) but my older sister, who had one 4 years ago at age 63, was diagonsed with colon cancer and had the tumor removed 3 weeks ago and is now undergoing chemo treatment.. My younger sister, aged 54, had polups removed last week. The other 3 brothers and sisters are fine. I'll be in C.M. from February 24 through March 9 and don't kow if that is enough time to have it done. My thai wife will be with me to translate, so the cheapest quality proceedure would be my preference. If I saw a doctor on February 25 and had the proceedure done early the following week, that would fit my schedule but I don't know for sure if it can be done that quickly.

They'll fit you in the same day, if nothing else is scheduled.

Hmm on second thoughts they can't - you need to drink that horrible stuff the night before and again on the morning of the procedure.

Sensible to have it done though - so good luck. smile.gif

Reading this because it's time I had one done, again. Last time was too long ago, maybe fifteen years ago, in New York. I was surprised to learn that people ever have anesthesia for this procedure. It was uncomfortable, yes, but not painful. Not physically, that is, at any rate. : )

Reading this because it's time I had one done, again. Last time was too long ago, maybe fifteen years ago, in New York. I was surprised to learn that people ever have anesthesia for this procedure. It was uncomfortable, yes, but not painful. Not physically, that is, at any rate. : )

They will give you anesthesia here if you want - you won't know a thing.

Same with me - outpatient in Texas.

Same in Australia, always as an outpatient, unless they anticipate complications from an existing condition. I'm making a request for raspberry flavoured "glug" for my next one :)

Sounds good to me.

I might ask for Green flavored next time to be different. :ermm:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done at different times by Professor Kannika (woman) at Rajavej.

Some insurance companies want you to have this as an outpatient, so they don't have to pay the full whack. Both times she admitted me, telling the insurance that I was too anxious to have it done as an OP.

The cost including admission etc was 20,000 which the insurance paid. Actually I was nervous (but could have had it done as OP) and wanted reassurance that I wouldn't know anything about the procedure. I remember getting on the op table both times, turning on my side and that's all until I woke up.

I believe it's about 12,000 Baht if you have it done as an OP. My wife had a colonoscopy done at Ram by Dr Lee?. She was OK and he plays a CD for you afterwards showing the procedure, with little snips he takes off here and there - I thought he was very professional. I didn't get that just a discussion about the results.

It's a very standard procedure, but don't worry you won't feel anything. :)

Are You 100% sure it was prf. K. herself who did the Colonoscope/Gastroscope ? She had me sign a consent (minutes before being taken to the op.room)

so other hosp.med.staff did the job. Never seen her again on the day. Bad taste.

Are You 100% sure it was prf. K. herself who did the Colonoscope/Gastroscope ? She had me sign a consent (minutes before being taken to the op.room)

so other hosp.med.staff did the job. Never seen her again on the day. Bad taste.

It's not bad taste. It's the way it's done. In the USA I had at least 6 of them when I was ill. Not once was my doctor in the room. The people who do these are usually residents or interns. Sometimes there is a Professor there supervising but not always. It's not a major deal. It's a diagnostic procedure, not surgery. I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

As Electrified said, 'It's the way it's done', but I understand your concerns.

Never be rushed to sign a consent form and prior to going for any procedure tell the doctor / nurse to arrange for a consent form in English unless you understand Thai and all its nuances extremely well. When you sign the consent form add; "any surgical or investigative procedures performed on me today are to be done only by Dr XXXX". Sign and date this part too.

Of course once you're asleep you still don't know, but having been closely aligned with the medical profession in previous life, I would say it's usually taken note of.

Edited by uptheos

It's not bad taste. It's the way it's done. In the USA I had at least 6 of them when I was ill. Not once was my doctor in the room. The people who do these are usually residents or interns. Sometimes there is a Professor there supervising but not always. It's not a major deal. It's a diagnostic procedure, not surgery. I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

I had mine done in the USA. It was done in the doctor's office so I am pretty when I was knocked out, he didn't rush out and get a replacement intern.

I had mine done in the USA. It was done in the doctor's office so I am pretty when I was knocked out, he didn't rush out and get a replacement intern.

They usually do the sigmoidoscopy in the doctor's office and the colonoscopy at the hospital as an outpatient. I've never seen a doctor's office with the full set-up (and staff) required for a colonoscopy. I suppose some GI guys could have a outpatient suite but I don't think it works that way at least in Los Angeles. I've also never been "knocked out", completely.

Edited by elektrified

They usually do the sigmoidoscopy in the doctor's office and the colonoscopy at the hospital as an outpatient. I've never seen a doctor's office with the full set-up (and staff) required for a colonoscopy. I suppose some GI guys could have a outpatient suite but I don't think it works that way at least in Los Angeles. I've also never been "knocked out", completely.

I had both completed in a doctors office (different doctors) in California. Both specialized in the procedures they performed.

My wife is a medical person and has a fair bit to do with the Hospitals. CM Ram is clearly the best up here. The best Hospitals are in Bangkok though.

Expensive also.

IMO if you are Australian or British and have free health care back home.........that's the better option.