Buying Experience From Ebay. Seller In Usa

Hi friends,

Just wanted to know if any one of you have had any problems in buying laptops/ desktops from Ebay.com where the seller is based in USA. I am planning to purchase a laptop from the site and just wanted to know if there will be any complications getting the stuff here{ie, complications by customs and any extra import fees}

Items will be shipped by UPS Intl Standard shipping

Thanks a lot.

If it's coming by courier (UPS) be prepared for duty and VAT as well as 'storage' whilst they decide on a suitable rate :)

If possible get it sent by regular mail (with insurance etc.) more likely to slip through, but if it does get intercepted be prepared for duty and VAT as well as 'storage' whilst they decide on a suitable rate :D

I'm not sure what the official rate is on computers, but others have reported being charged 20-50% :D

have it sent to a hotel in Singapore ( make a reservation for the day it will arrive),,, and when you know it will arrive (you can track it (online i think) , go down and pick it up,, much cheaper

return flights to Sing appx 5,000- baht

Edited by clinique

Have it sent by registered air mail or be prepared to pay customs duty. I had a mask for my CPAP machine sent by DHL and was charged 50% import duty. Next one by registered air mail and no charges.

If it's coming by courier (UPS) be prepared for duty and VAT as well as 'storage' whilst they decide on a suitable rate :)

If possible get it sent by regular mail (with insurance etc.) more likely to slip through, but if it does get intercepted be prepared for duty and VAT as well as 'storage' whilst they decide on a suitable rate :D

I'm not sure what the official rate is on computers, but others have reported being charged 20-50% :D

20-50% of what, the declared value/invoice or the amount customs puts on the item?

20-50% of what, the declared value/invoice or the amount customs puts on the item?

Yes.

And there's a reason I didn't say which value :)

Dealing with Thai customs is a lottery, you may get away with a small rate on the invoice value, or (if the officer is late with his rent), a large rate on a random value :D

We had used clothes valued at $250 (and duty charged at 20%) but they missed the 1000mm lens they were protecting (which was on the packing list and declared at $500).

Like I said, a lottery.

From very recent experience if it comes by courier i.e DHL - FedEx you will get screwed .. both on duty and "handling " fees ..I have very bad experiences with both of them ..

If you must do it, have it sent by registered regular mail,it might,as said here,slip thru' but given the value/size that is highly unlikeley .. because the valuation is documented,in my experience,you wll be charged the correct valuation + vat and you collect/pay @ your local post office who charge a 50 bhart handling fee.....

HOWEVER why not save the hassle and buy in Thailand...

Hi all,

Thanks for the advise and tips. After reading through all of them it seems an unnecessary hassle to buy from ebay and import the item. 20-50% duty is a lot. I will just buy here in BKK.

Anyway thanks a lot for replies.

kites

You can save probably 20-25% on laptop prices by buying in the US, but unless you have a friend/family member to actually bring it over for you the shipping/tax costs are just not worth the savings. Plus you run the risk of the laptop being damaged during shipping, imagine what a headache trying to return it would be.

I had terrible experience with DHL, and very pleasant delivers from UPS. Once I sent some gifts through DHL marked as gift to europe, the total value was less than 150 euro in value, and they charged my relative (the receiver) 200 euro of taxes and surcharges (more than the actual value of the items). My relative didn't pay because they never delivered the package to him, but he has been only informed by phone and has to go to collect it, and when there (twice) they changed the amount to pay (220 euro first and then 200), and when he requested a document that states what the taxes are for, they said they are not authorized to release any document. So I requested to dhl in thailand to resend the package back to me. When the package came back, they asked me to pay the 200 euro taxes, plus the 90 euro for shipping back. I asked why I should pay taxes to spain if the items never crossed the borders of customs in europe, and they later called me to pay only the shipment, I refused and said I will not pay, and after talking with a supervisor they called me back and said I will receive it back at no charge. In the end I couldn't deliver the package and the gifts to my family, I lost the money of the first shipment, and more than 2 months of wasted time and phone calls. With UPS I got 2 packages from europe to thailand and never got any charges (but were not new items).

Edited by aeon

You can save probably 20-25% on laptop prices by buying in the US, but unless you have a friend/family member to actually bring it over for you the shipping/tax costs are just not worth the savings. Plus you run the risk of the laptop being damaged during shipping, imagine what a headache trying to return it would be.

Exactly what I was thinking. But it seems that I have to wait a few months untill my relative decides to make a trip to USA.