Thai Immigration To Waive Overstay Fee For Stranded Foreigners

Thai immigration to waive overstay fee for stranded foreigners

Thai Immigration Bureau has instructed all immigration ports in Thailand to waive fee for visa overstay for foreigner stranded in Thailand with proof of the following;

* flight details shown they are due to fly on flights which are disrupted by the airspace closure (Volcano Ash)

* visa stamp in passport expired on and after 15 April 2010

* As of now, the waive will apply till 30 April 2010

-- Thai Immigration Bureau 2010-04-19

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 30 april might not be long enough...

My father was supose to fligh out yesterday via Frankfurt. They could put him on a waiting list for athens or rome but he had to see that he got home from there by him self...

Thai Arways could only rebooked his flight the earlyest on 2 MAY. All the planes befor this date are fully booked.

It was only fair to do this.

It will save a lot of troubled people something else to worry about.

When you think about it, with all the derisiveness that foreigners, including myself, say about Thailand, this really says:

1. Amazing Thailand

2. Someone has thought this out rationally and probably thought, this may bring these tourists back next time with better thoughts about the LOS.

I congratulate the Immigration Department on their forethought. It truly is a good decision and shows that someone is thinking.

This was only fair.

what other choice do they have -- how can the possibly fine someone who is stuck here against their will and is wishing to leave - has ticket and not plane to catch - come on - even the slightest of logical thinking has to prevail -- but then again -TIT - or maybe they thought that it was going to take too much time and effort on behalf of the poor overworked and stressed immigrations officer at the airport -and they are such happy lot to reduce their work load -

i can just imagine articles in oveseas newpapers --- tourists fined because their flight were cancelled due to world wide fllight ban - well just another nail in the tourism coffin here - must also be running out of nails -- just see that france and spain temp open air space -- interesting to see how this developes--- just amagine the back log -- wonder if travel insurance covers natural disasters -- and if this falls under this category

who cares man....... I mean really......... thanks for that Thailand!!

Have to wonder though.... what foreign advisor is on the payroll...

you wouldn't think the local government came up with that on their own..... who do I send the thank you note to??

Better yet, can i get the email of the English ambassador who put this in affect...

This was only fair.

what other choice do they have -- how can the possibly fine someone who is stuck here against their will and is wishing to leave - has ticket and not plane to catch - come on - even the slightest of logical thinking has to prevail -- but then again -TIT - or maybe they thought that it was going to take too much time and effort on behalf of the poor overworked and stressed immigrations officer at the airport -and they are such happy lot to reduce their work load -

i can just imagine articles in oveseas newpapers --- tourists fined because their flight were cancelled due to world wide fllight ban - well just another nail in the tourism coffin here - must also be running out of nails -- just see that france and spain temp open air space -- interesting to see how this developes--- just amagine the back log -- wonder if travel insurance covers natural disasters -- and if this falls under this category

Don't worry..there are plenty of 'nails' left..just not much space left to bang 'em in..

Edited by rodcourt49

When you think about it, with all the derisiveness that foreigners, including myself, say about Thailand, this really says:

1. Amazing Thailand

2. Someone has thought this out rationally and probably thought, this may bring these tourists back next time with better thoughts about the LOS.

I congratulate the Immigration Department on their forethought. It truly is a good decision and shows that someone is thinking.

Well said puyaidon.

Virgin reply. Hope I send to the correct hole.

Commend Thai on this flexibility as have you. Enjoy reading this forum, but seems positive statements encouraging progress are rare. Refreshing to see yours.

Guess change will take time. Other 'developing nations' may well not have made this small token gesture. Wouldn't have been surprised if LOS hadn't done.

It's a step..

May God, Buddha, Allah etc etc bless Thai people.

Good and necessary move, and I hope it is true. And, I also hope that thePolice is informed by this decision and will refrain from deterring and extradicting overstayers they are aware of,as, after all, it is the law .... And we can see elsewhere that the Thai Police has nothing else in mind than keeping up the law, under all circumstances.

Why do ya have to turn a positive into a negative?

Yes it is a logical reaction to the crises in airspace but when has logic prevailed in LOS ?

There are enough nails being banged into the coffin aka Thai tourism by thousands of Thais in Bangkok right now, so smile, someone shows some common sense

:):D :D :D :D

Edited by BKjohn

Congratulations to Thai Government.

A bit slow to react but very sensible, I for one was was expecting this and annoyed at the negative remarks by some on other threads saying this would nether happen, some people have short memories and have forgotten the help from TAT/Thai Government following the Tsunami and the Yellow Shirt closure of airports.

For those from Europe, what have your own governments done to help???

1. Amazing Thailand

If it's true I couldn't agree more. :):D:D

For those from Europe, what have your own governments done to help???

Well, there isn't really much they can do until the airports open again. Embassies are well known for doing sweet f..a.. anyway so nothing new for them :)

[sarcasm on] Woooooow!!! Thai Bureaucrats make one intelligent move since 20 years! Amazing!

The next one we could expect by the earliest in 2020??? [/ sarcasm off]

Thank You Immigration Office! :)

Edited by Lammbock

1. Amazing Thailand

If it's true I couldn't agree more. :):D:D

Maybe it will take a awhile then the desk staff and police will look at it as Discount fine and NO RECEIPT GIVEN!

:D

This absolutely makes total sense. However this is Thailand so it may be some kind of late April Fool's Joke or some low level employee was thinking way out of the box and has yet to tell his boss.

Who dreamed that one up it actually makes sense and is against Thai logic :)

[sarcasm on] Woooooow!!! Thai Bureaucrats make one intelligent move since 20 years! Amazing!

The next one we could expect by the earliest in 2020??? [/ sarcasm off]

Thank You Immigration Office! :)

Are you sure they all know about, I doubt very highly. No joking really.

In view of the Volcano problem and with so many flights being grounded its the only sensible thing to do.

The only reason they have relaxed the laws though is because they are concerned that foreign media would criticize Thailand. "Don't complain about Thailand" is the only objective here. It will be back to extortion and banging people up before you know it.

The visa laws could be a lot more relaxed here.

Its only for 2 weeks...

Edited by Pui