Architecture Cad Software

LeungKen

'

I am looking for a basic software package to do the initial drawings of the house I want to build.

I have tried a couple of free downloads with Smartdraw the easiest to use so far, but it doesn't come with 3D in the free deal.

I'd be interested to hear from those who have had some experience and might have a few suggestions to make.

I'm doing a quick trip to Oz next month, so would it be better to buy there, here in Phuket or duty free at Singapore A'port.

Thanks in anticipation.

First off - don't buy anything abroad, there's a wealth of choice in Bangkok at Pantip Plaza

Second - I assume you have a PC, not a MAC so your choice of software will be greater, but all the packages take a fair bit of learning. You mentioned 'initial' drawings, so by this I assume you mean 'design' not 'technical' drawings?

There is no 'best' package, but for 'design' drawings, 3D included, you might look at Google's 'Sketch-up', or 'TurboCAD' - both with free demo packages or downloadable from P2P sharing sites, also free.

For more technical drawings (although 3D is included) AutoCAD is the 'industry standard' for PCs - MAC users will normally use Microstation or ArchiCAD, both of which I personally find hard to fathom.

Finally - dont forget you will have to print the results to scale and at a decent size so an A3 printer is a minimum requirement - or access to a local agency who has A3 or larger format. File transfer may be a problem here.

Personally, although I have many of the packages referred to, for initial design work I still prefer the drawing board! Good Luck!

Have to agree with you canopy. With Google Sketchup you can have all your drawing to scale. I am using it to design my new place. When I’m happy with the plan will just give it to the architect. He uses this program to show design changes to clients. Not only good but fun to use.