Retirement Visa Question

Hello,

I am about to apply for a retirement visa (O-A) in the US.

On the website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

There is choice for a single or multiple entry visa (2000/5000bt)

I don't understand how I would use the multiple entry visa ?

Maybe instead of the re-entry permit ?

Also how is a multiple re-entry permit used ?

Any advice from people who have recently applied for a retirement visa in the US would be appreciated.

Michigan

You have to apply for and use what the Consulate in the US will issue. Some have only issued single entry so in that case you have no choice.

The multi entry allows unlimited travel for first year with a one year stay on each return - so if you arrive just before it expires you get almost two years from it. During first year no re-entry permit would be required.

The other option is a single entry non immigrant O visa and then do the one year extension of stay in Thailand. No medical/police check required but money (if using 800k) must be in bank two months here in Thailand before application.

You only need to prove you have pension in come of 65000 baht or the 800K not both!! also a single entry is fine unless you plan on traveling out of Thailand more the 4 times, other wise the cost doesn't justifie the cost, this is my 4th retirement visa that I am on now!! :)

You only need to prove you have pension in come of 65000 baht or the 800K not both!! also a single entry is fine unless you plan on traveling out of Thailand more the 4 times, other wise the cost doesn't justifie the cost, this is my 4th retirement visa that I am on now!! :)

1. Nobody said you had to have both.

2. A single entry is used on first entry and there are no more allowed. You must obtain a re-entry permit for any travel.

You seem to be talking about single and multi re-entry permits - we are talking about OA visas from home country.

related to the oop question:

i just got my retirement this morning, i will get a single entry in my passport.

question: is a single entry valid until the extention end date or only for said few months ?

A re-entry permit will hold good for use for the duration of your new (current) permission to stay.

related to the oop question:

i just got my retirement this morning, i will get a single entry in my passport.

question: is a single entry valid until the extention end date or only for said few months ?

A visa can be used anytime until the day before expiration for the normal 60 or 90 or 1 year stay authorized by the visa. Just enter before the expiration (use before) date.

On the website:

No wonder the OP's confused. That misleading MFA website has yet to be corrected, still spreading misinformation that O-A visas can be obtained in Thailand. And it's laughable that the nonexistent Thai variety can be obtained in 2 flavors: 2000 or 5000 baht. I guess that approximates what single and multiple entry O-A visas cost in farang currency, or did a few years back, when this MFA site first went up.

I guess when the MFA first heard that the Immigration Police could now issue Non Imm visas (TM86 and TM87 conversions), they just naturally assumed this included the O-A variety. Whether they still believe this -- or are just too lazy to change their website -- either way makes for confusion.

For the OP: visit the DC website for what's required. HERE

Note: they allow you to get the multiple entry variety -- highly recommended per many discussions on this forum. LA restricts you to a single entry variety. Don't know about NY or Chicago. (And the honorary consulates are out of the O-A business.)

Oh, even the DC website has misinformation. You can obtain by mail using 'priority mail,' not just the 'express mail' indicated -- and for about one-fourth the cost.

On the website:

No wonder the OP's confused. That misleading MFA website has yet to be corrected, still spreading misinformation that O-A visas can be obtained in Thailand. And it's laughable that the nonexistent Thai variety can be obtained in 2 flavors: 2000 or 5000 baht. I guess that approximates what single and multiple entry O-A visas cost in farang currency, or did a few years back, when this MFA site first went up.

I guess when the MFA first heard that the Immigration Police could now issue Non Imm visas (TM86 and TM87 conversions), they just naturally assumed this included the O-A variety. Whether they still believe this -- or are just too lazy to change their website -- either way makes for confusion.

For the OP: visit the DC website for what's required. HERE

Note: they allow you to get the multiple entry variety -- highly recommended per many discussions on this forum. LA restricts you to a single entry variety. Don't know about NY or Chicago. (And the honorary consulates are out of the O-A business.)

Oh, even the DC website has misinformation. You can obtain by mail using 'priority mail,' not just the 'express mail' indicated -- and for about one-fourth the cost.

Thanks so much for all the information,

I checked the DC website for the visa fee:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/Visa/VisaFee.aspx

Non-Immigrant ( 1 Year / Multiple Entries )175.-Non-Immigrant ( 1 Year / Multiple Entries )175.-1 Transit (per entry)30.-2 Tourist (per entry)35.-3 Non-Immigrant ( 3 Month / Single Entry )65.-4 Non-Immigrant ( 1 Year / Multiple Entries )175.-Non-immigrant (1 year / multiple entries) ..............$ 175.00

I am wondering if that is the fee for the retirement visa and if it gives you now multiple entries automatically?

I looked into a retirement visa two years ago and at that time it was no problem getting one while in Thailand, has that recently changed ?

I recently send e-mail to the DC Thai Embassy asking for directions for the income statement, but have received no feedback.

Michigan

The fee is for any non immigrant visa - single entry one fee and multi entry the higher fee (2,000 and 5,000 baht aprox).

What you can obtain in Thailand is an extension of stay for retirement - not a visa. Any travel would require re-entry permit be obtained to keep it alive.

I am wondering if that is the fee for the retirement visa and if it gives you now multiple entries automatically?

Again, ignore that MFA website. They are totally confused, mixing apples and bullshite.

If you get a Non Imm O-A multiple entry visa from the Thai Embassy DC (again, LA Consulate only gives the single entry variety), it, yes, gives you multiple entries, by definition -- but ONLY DURING ITS ONE YEAR VALIDITY PERIOD. Thus, during this one year of validity, you can exit and enter Thailand as many times as you like -- each time receiving a brand new "one year permitted to stay" stamp. No re-entry permit is needed to be obtained from Thai Immigration during this one year validity period.

Exit and re-enter Thailand just before this one-year validity expires, and receive another "one year permitted to stay" stamp. Hence, the nearly 2 year period in which you never need to visit Immigration (assuming your 90 day reporting is by agent or mail).

HOWEVER, if you plan to travel during that second year, yes, you'll need to visit Immigration for a re-entry permit -- since now your visa has expired, and your stay in Thailand is now at the mercy of your last and final "one year permitted to stay" stamp. If you now exit and re-enter Thailand -- without first having obtained a re-entry stamp from Immigration -- it's exactly as if you've entered without a visa (which you have, since it's expired). And you'll get a new "permitted to stay" stamp -- for 30 days (assuming air entry) under the visa exempt criteria.

From the MFA website:

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1 Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure.

(My emphasis added)

This is right after they say you can receive a multiple entry Non Imm O-A in Thailand for 5000 baht. Well, you can't -- for any price -- but if you do receive a Non Imm O-A from abroad, and it's the multiple entry variety, paragraph 5.1 is totally out to lunch. As has been explained.

Again, ignore that MFA website. They are totally confused, mixing apples and bullshite.

If you get a Non Imm O-A multiple entry visa from the Thai Embassy DC (again, LA Consulate only gives the single entry variety), it, yes, gives you multiple entries, by definition -- but ONLY DURING ITS ONE YEAR VALIDITY PERIOD. Thus, during this one year of validity, you can exit and enter Thailand as many times as you like -- each time receiving a brand new "one year permitted to stay" stamp. No re-entry permit is needed to be obtained from Thai Immigration during this one year validity period.

Exit and re-enter Thailand just before this one-year validity expires, and receive another "one year permitted to stay" stamp. Hence, the nearly 2 year period in which you never need to visit Immigration (assuming your 90 day reporting is by agent or mail).

HOWEVER, if you plan to travel during that second year, yes, you'll need to visit Immigration for a re-entry permit -- since now your visa has expired, and your stay in Thailand is now at the mercy of your last and final "one year permitted to stay" stamp. If you now exit and re-enter Thailand -- without first having obtained a re-entry stamp from Immigration -- it's exactly as if you've entered without a visa (which you have, since it's expired). And you'll get a new "permitted to stay" stamp -- for 30 days (assuming air entry) under the visa exempt criteria.

From the MFA website:

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1 Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure.

(My emphasis added)

This is right after they say you can receive a multiple entry Non Imm O-A in Thailand for 5000 baht. Well, you can't -- for any price -- but if you do receive a Non Imm O-A from abroad, and it's the multiple entry variety, paragraph 5.1 is totally out to lunch. As has been explained.

OK Thanks very helpful.

Do you have any idea what they exactly require for an income statement when applying at a US Thai Embassy ?

I have income from 3 sources and from 2 different countries. (US and Canada)

Do they want proof that money is being deposited to a US bank account or a statement from the company that provides my pension income ?

Also what is the local immigration looking for, when renewal is neccessary after 1 year ?

Michigan

Also what is the local immigration looking for, when renewal is necessary after 1 year ?

What was it about the following statement that you did not understand? (Or is it you plan to get a single entry Non Imm O-A, as your plans don't include the nifty 'second year' feature of the multiple entry variety.........?)

Hence, the nearly 2 year period in which you never need to visit Immigration (assuming your 90 day reporting is by agent or mail).

The Thai Consulate wants a bank statement only if you're going the 800k baht equivalent in the bank. If you're going the income route, proof that that income exceeds the equivalent of baht 65k/mo is needed from the issuer, not a deposit note from the bank.

They will want to see some kind of pay slip/income statement.

When the time comes to apply for an extension of stay you will have to go to your embassy and get a letter from them confirming your income. It is your embassy that decided what they will accept as proof. In the case of the US-embassy you make a sworn statement and no proof is necesarry.