Amnesty International Public Statement

sabaijai

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

PUBLIC STATEMENT

AI Index ASA39/003/2010

20 April 2010

Thailand: Accountability must prevail in political crisis

All sides in Thailand’s widening political conflict should immediately commit to ending human rights abuses, Amnesty International said today. Amnesty International welcomes the Thai government's pledge to investigate promptly, effectively, and impartially the recent violence, and urges it to provide accountability for any violations by security forces as well as abuses by violent protesters.

On the night of Saturday 10 April, the Thai military attempted to clear protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) from Bangkok's old quarter, resulting in the deaths of at least 25 people (18 protesters, one foreign journalist, and six members of the security forces) and at least 840 wounded. The military used lethal force in the operations, while some individuals among the protesters also used guns and grenades, as well as improvised weapons. 134 people remain in the hospital, six in intensive care, as a result of the violence.

Amnesty International recognizes the Thai government’s obligation to protect the lives and well-being of all people, including by exercising due diligence to prevent attacks by non-state actors.

Amnesty International also pointed out that the right to freedom of assembly protects only applies to peaceful assembly, and that those who engage in human rights abuses may be subject to accountability for their actions. Opposition political leaders—including former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, an ally of the UDD—should publicly commit to ending human rights abuses, and to specifically ask their supporters to refrain from further violent attacks on political opponents.

Thai security forces must adhere to international principles on crowd dispersal and the use of force. Principle 14 of the Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms states, "In the dispersal of violent assemblies, law enforcement officials may use firearms only when less dangerous means are not practicable and only to the minimum extent necessary. Law enforcement officials shall not use firearms in such cases, except under the conditions stipulated in principle 9."

Principle 9, in turn, states, "Law enforcement officials shall not use firearms against persons except in self-defence or defence of others against the imminent threat of death or serious injury, to prevent the perpetration of a particularly serious crime involving grave threat to life, to arrest a person presenting such a danger and resisting their authority, or to prevent his or her escape, and only when less extreme means are insufficient to achieve these objectives. In any event, intentional lethal use of firearms may only be made when strictly unavoidable in order to protect life."

Background

Most members and factions of the UDD, commonly known as "Red Shirts" for the colour of their clothing, are supporters of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin, who was deposed in a 2006 coup d'etat. Thaksin, who is currently in voluntary exile, faces numerous allegations of serious human rights violations.

The UDD has been demonstrating in Bangkok since 12 March, demanding the dissolution of Parliament, new elections, and since 10 April, the resignation and exile of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

On 18 April, PAD, which opposes the UDD, gave the government a seven-day ultimatum “to enforce the law”—which can be interpreted as a demand to disperse the Red Shirts—before they too would begin demonstrations. Should it do so, the PAD must not engage in abuses of human rights. The PAD, known as the “Yellow Shirts”, was formed in 2006 to oppose Thaksin. They engaged in large-scale demonstrations in 2008, including an occupation of Bangkok’s two airports, against two successive pro-Thaksin governments.

ENDS/

Benjamin Zawacki

Researcher, Southeast Asia

Amnesty International, International Secretariat

--

Working to protect human rights worldwide

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems quite obvious to me...... six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Cue the posters claiming that Amnesty International are part of a conspiracy against the reds...................

Yeah, don't go saying that down at the red shirt state in downtown Bangkok. An opinion as neutral as that would not be acceptable and would certainly induce a verbal if not physical attack.

Cue the posters claiming that Amnesty International are part of a conspiracy against the reds...................

I have to live right about them with all the noises and stupid problem. Somebody please fix and make this problem go away

Agree 100% with Amnesty International and an Independent investigation needs to be done and those guilty of crimes punished to the full extent of the law.

This would however include examining private recording made by individuals which have been made Illegal to view in Thailand.

Can somebody tell if shooting rubber bullets at somebody kneeling on the ground covering the head for protection and

at the same time Soldiers beating them over the head with a clubs is against Human rights?

Bring it on and let Justice be done!!

Edit: Also is it normal to use have Anti aircraft weapons loaded and mounted on Armored vehicles during protests??

whilst we are at it who were the Snipers? Obviously they were professional Soldiers but which side were they really on?

Lets get to the bottom of it with hard facts and evidence only!

If the P.M. refused an independent inquiry then we will know!

P.S. where is the PM's evidence of Red Shirt Terrorists?? I mean hard fact Evidence!!

Edited by monkfish

I don't think I've ever seen Amnesty International fail to endorse a righteous citizen's movement against what the movement would call an "oppressive regime". It's something to note and wonder about if you still aren't sure what this is all about.

Edited by lannarebirth

Agree 100% with Amnesty International and an Independent investigation needs to be done and those guilty of crimes punished to the full extent of the law.

This would however include examining private recording made by individuals which have been made Illegal to view in Thailand.

Can somebody tell if shooting rubber bullets at somebody kneeling on the ground covering the head for protection and

at the same time Soldiers beating them over the head with a clubs is against Human rights?

P.S. where is the PM's evidence of Red Shirt Terrorists??

I am sure you can back your statement with some evidance?

Which one? This one

gunv.jpg

Which one? This one

gunv.jpg

No, the one I made bold.

Which one? This one

gunv.jpg

So it is a no?

Pictures of a legacy APC and a bullet says exactly nothing.

Back on topic, that clearly was a good, neutral and responsible article on the part of AI. That's what they need to do, in order to make both sides take notice; can't be perceived as being biased either way. It's good that an organization like AI manages this. :D

Kee Kwai. :)

actually but really nice response. I suppose thaksin tried to buy them like he does the other media and didnt quite get what he expected. I have never EVER seen them not overly side with the "people"

Edited by Shah Jahan

I don't think I've ever seen Amnesty International fail to endorse a righteous citizen's movement against what the movement would call an "oppressive regime". It's something to note and wonder about if you still aren't sure what this is all about.

As a light hearted remark... do you think Amnesty Internl would endorse this citizen's rights against a crowd of protestors deciding who enters and who doesn't enter my street, who also take it on themselves to search the bags of those returning home and going to their place of work?

Which one? This one

No, the one I made bold.

Here is one not blocked yet!

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-432683

A reasonable statement, ant it says much that AI not only explicitly supported the government's right to disperse the mob using appropriate measures while at the same time noting that the reds are supporters of Thaksin and that he was himself connected with many human rights abuses....

I have to live right about them with all the noises and stupid problem. Somebody please fix and make this problem go away

I guess as long as your problems are solved no one else's problems matter

Calling it a stupid problem is ignorant to the facts

Thinking the problem will go away is also ignorant to the facts

Its all the PM fault

Now we have to work harder to convince everyone we are in the right

Why has not our leader Taskin allowed this to happen

He tell us he has much money and can buy what ever he want

Must be the PMs fault he take money from our leader to pay Farang

Must be Farang fault they just want Money

Must be the yellows fault, they not like us

Must be Americas Fault, they tape out phone calls

Must be Dons fault he not xxxxxxxxxxxx

Can't wait to hear from Red TV members of more why it is everybody elses fault that stupid farang write these words that can not be true

Time to clear all Farang from Thailand

They make us Red shirts loose face

Here is one not blocked yet!

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-432683

Give it up already

he said .... she said

You have your opinion and others have there's

The real truth will never emerge as it is not in the best interests of either group.

As much as the reds have there video clips that they are releasing you can be sure

the Govt is amassing just as much evidence vs the reds, that they will release

in due time.

/If the reds has any desire for peace they would accept to negotiate, the fact that

they do not want to negotiate indicates they have no issue with more people dying

for the cause.

If a full blown riot erupts, just look around and see if your leaders are beside you,

or if they have run for cover in a penthouse suite

Its all the PM fault

Can't wait to hear from Red TV members of more why it is everybody elses fault that stupid farang write these words that can not be true

This is why the reds can't be allowed to win. They are clearly insane. Any loss of face is strictly their own. The statement from AI seems pretty balanced. No one would have a problem with peaceful demonstrations by the reds, but that isn't what we have. I agree with the statement that the soldiers have the right to defend themselves, especially since the reds are arming themselves and have every intention of injuring and killing soldiers who try to enforce the law. Don't blame foreigners for all your problems. Creating a reclusive society with no interaction with the outside world is just ridiculous. See how much they will be able to sell rice for if they stop exporting it. Thailand is not an island, it is a member of the international community and trade, foreign investment, and tourism are all part of that package.

Welocme to Ratchaprasong Resort!

Lighten up and take a positive attitude! Make the best out of it and just neglect the political propaganda wherever it comes from. Enjoy the nice music and the dancing at times down there, go down and explore the new and growing street market, enjoy the great and tasty food of the hundreds of new food stalls, switch off your alarm clock and listen to and enjoy the sweet Thai music they play most loudly at 5am, go down and mix with your new neighbors and experience the genuine friendliness and warmth of nice Thai people. Open up your mind and you will experience a wonderful and truly exciting new world. You will meet many new interesting and exceptionally nice people. You don't need to be a Red Shirt to enjoy your time; just be a neutral observer with an open mind and heart and show respect to any human being regardless of its color or belief.

Enjoy and embrace this new experience while it still lasts - don't miss this unique opportunity, you will never find anything comparable again in your life.

I know well what I'm talking about because I also live in an apartment right in the heart of the Ratchaprasong area. I keep documenting what I see in my neighborhood and regularly update a growing collection of photos. So far I had over ten thousand visitors at this collection of photos:

Ratchaprasong Resort

Its all the PM fault

This is why the reds can't be allowed to win. They are clearly insane. Any loss of face is strictly their own. The statement from AI seems pretty balanced. No one would have a problem with peaceful demonstrations by the reds, but that isn't what we have. I agree with the statement that the soldiers have the right to defend themselves, especially since the reds are arming themselves and have every intention of injuring and killing soldiers who try to enforce the law. Don't blame foreigners for all your problems. Creating a reclusive society with no interaction with the outside world is just ridiculous. See how much they will be able to sell rice for if they stop exporting it. Thailand is not an island, it is a member of the international community and trade, foreign investment, and tourism are all part of that package.

You get my vote come the next election

The necessity of a statement by Amnesty International (and other similar organizations) is due in large part to the fact that Thailand has not agreed to many of the international agreements that foreigners assume apply in Thailand. For the sake of clarity, please note that Thailand has neither signed nor ratified multiple agreements that relate to the treatment of civilians. Specific agreements as they relate to the series of agreements grouped as "Protection of Victims of Armed Conflicts" include;AP I 1977; AP I Declaration art. 90; AP II 1977; and AP III 2005.

Note that AP II 1977 is the Additional Protocol to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts (Protocol II), 8 June 1977. The agreement deals with the treatment of civilians that can be captured during actions. It also is an agreement to preclude torture, including the rough handling or truncheon beating of captured protestors. The military leadership of Thailand has not supported consideration of these agreements.

actually but really nice response. I suppose thaksin tried to buy them like he does the other media and didnt quite get what he expected. I have never EVER seen them not overly side with the "people"

You suppose Thaksin tried to buy them? Why do you suppose. Don't be a coward and play the innuendo game. You know very well that Thaksin did not try to bribe or pay AI off. So why play the game of "you suppose"? That speaks volumes about your character. You cannot come up with something intelligent so you make something up. Are you proud of yourself now that you managed to get in a cheap shot?

Yes also notable for me. and this section.

Amnesty International recognizes the Thai government’s obligation to protect the lives and well-being of all people,

including by exercising due diligence to prevent attacks by non-state actors.

Amnesty International also pointed out that the right to freedom of assembly protects only applies to peaceful assembly,

and that those who engage in human rights abuses may be subject to accountability for their actions.

Opposition political leaders—including former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, an ally of the UDD—

should publicly commit to ending human rights abuses,

and to specifically ask their supporters to refrain from further violent attacks on political opponents.

I can't remember AI ever so directly pointing a finger like this.

In essence they seem to see which side is creating the conflict.

And which side is trying to "protect the lives and well-being of all people".

Also AI seems to be noting the long term, ongoing Red attacks

on all political players not on the TRT/PPP/PTP message up north.

Somehow I don't see this being quoted on the Red Stage.

Oh wait Amnesty International must be a running dog lackey of the 'Elite'.

Edited by animatic

You suppose Thaksin tried to buy them? Why do you suppose. Don't be a coward and play the innuendo game. You know very well that Thaksin did not try to bribe or pay AI off. So why play the game of "you suppose"? That speaks volumes about your character. You cannot come up with something intelligent so you make something up. Are you proud of yourself now that you managed to get in a cheap shot?

why wouldnt he try to pay AI off? If I was Ai Meaow I would do the same. try to get some sympathy like the tibetans. suppose he will be comparing himself to H.H.D.L. next.

so go ahead and put on your red shirt and get pissed. Peaceful protest. you just want democracy right?

:)

The necessity of a statement by Amnesty International (and other similar organizations) is due in large part to the fact that Thailand has not agreed to many of the international agreements that foreigners assume apply in Thailand. For the sake of clarity, please note that Thailand has neither signed nor ratified multiple agreements that relate to the treatment of civilians. Specific agreements as they relate to the series of agreements grouped as "Protection of Victims of Armed Conflicts" include;AP I 1977; AP I Declaration art. 90; AP II 1977; and AP III 2005.

Note that AP II 1977 is the Additional Protocol to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts (Protocol II), 8 June 1977. The agreement deals with the treatment of civilians that can be captured during actions. It also is an agreement to preclude torture, including the rough handling or truncheon beating of captured protestors. The military leadership of Thailand has not supported consideration of these agreements.

Martial law.....

Someone once said martial law is to law as military music is to music. We don't have martial law yet but we are being 'eased' into it by the public statements of the military which is now in charge.

Thaksin was PM for something like five years and the only related thing he had to say to the kind of international agreements cited in the post was "the UN is not my father." Since being deposed Thaksin has insanely tried to compare himself to Gandhi and madly tried to compare Abhisit to Hitler.

AI is well aware no Thai government has signed the agreements of international standards regarding civil disorder, rioting or civil insurrection, but AI also knows Abhisit has spoken repeatedly of responding to the Redshirts in accordance to "international standards," which is quite the difference from the Thaksin years of tyrannic government. AI further notes Thaksin's record of human rights abuses and his support (sponsoring) of the Redshirts. Neither side is pure and AI is basically reminding the government to keep its necessary actions to the minimum, which one would have to agree is a remarkable and exceptional position for AI to take - indeed, the necessary and proper position of this time, place, circumstance and given the nature of the insurrectionists and their benefactor.

I'm afraid though this delay, delay, delay by the government is making the situation so much worse than it had been. The Redshirts have more and more time to erect diabolical medeval barricades, to sharpen bamboo poles into spears, to collect ammunition to feed the weapons they've seized or already have etc etc. When the time does come, a lot of grunts in uniform are going to have to suffer needlessly because of the Hamlet Gen Anupong's shortcomings as a commander who is indecisive in the face of civil insurrection and unassertive within his own military chain of command.

Edited by Publicus

Back on topic, that clearly was a good, neutral and responsible article on the part of AI. That's what they need to do, in order to make both sides take notice; can't be perceived as being biased either way. It's good that an organization like AI manages this. :)

It is a marker that the World is watching and taking note. If civilians are killed or injured, the government and army will be held to account by international bodies like AI. If it ever has been, this is no longer an internal Thai matter.

On a different, but related note, I see fom yesterday's closed thread that the government's assertion that terrorists were involved in the violence has had an unintended consequence. Acts of terrorism are not covered by travel insurance. According to the thread, this has been given as a reason why people have cancelled trips to Thailand. "Choose your next words carefully Mr Bond. They may be your last!"

Dear Amnesty International,

A big congratulations. Accurate, impartial, and honest. My faith in your organization is restored.

This is a 100% different from their webpage quoted earlier in this forum, which unbelievably ignored anything about Mr. Thaksin's past wrongdoing or his current role. In fairness to Amnesty International, that webpage was the work of a single individual, not an official statement of the organization.

Well done and welcome, Amnesty International.

Edited by rabo