Max 80% Credit Line From Fixed Deposit

Hello,

I wanted to ask if anybody personally has had the experience to deposit an amount of money in a fixed deposit and get a related credit card and what is the limit. I heard about 50%, who talks of 80%.

Personally I will soon want to deposit about 500/600.000 baht into a fixed deposit account with SCB. I hope to get at least 80% not less!!

Anybody has ever made a deposit of more than 100,000 baht and get a credit card? I need experiences. Thanks.

Uhm.. sounds interesting but I live in Phuket and I do not see many HSBC around... (maybe no one) ... And also their credit cards are not too much attractive... I'd like more the Beyond Platinum from SCB...

Anyway thanks for this information :)

To clarify, do you still need a work permit in addition to the deposit? I've been here for over four years, I own a condo and a car in Bangkok and I pay taxes here (for dividend income), but as I'm not working (nor retired) I haven't been able to get any Thai credit card. I have only ATM cards.

The last time that I spoke with a KTB manager he said I would otherwise be an ideal customer and he really wished he could give me their card but it's just not possible due to Bank of Thailand regulations, which say I need a WP and are being enforced even more strictly now than earlier.

Amex in Singapore was quite helpful and said I could get a Platinum card there for a $20,000 bank guarantee, the bank then said that I need to deposit $20,000 but they will pay no interest, just charge me 1.5% more annually for giving that guarantee. Sigh.

What interest rate do you expect for long term fixed deposit at SCB?

I do not know but I think around 2%, I do not really care too much about it.

To clarify, do you still need a work permit in addition to the deposit? I've been here for over four years, I own a condo and a car in Bangkok and I pay taxes here (for dividend income), but as I'm not working (nor retired) I haven't been able to get any Thai credit card. I have only ATM cards.

Amex in Singapore was quite helpful and said I could get a Platinum card there for a $20,000 bank guarantee, the bank then said that I need to deposit $20,000 but they will pay no interest, just charge me 1.5% more annually for giving that guarantee. Sigh.

Regarding WP, no you do not need it. If you would have one you get a credit card without put a fixed deposit at the bank. They ask you the deposit for guarantee.

Amex in Singapore: Sounds good but how much credit line did they give you? The same of the deposit or less?

HSBC Bangkok, 100% available Platinum Visa Card. Credit Line is 100% of your secured deposit account.

More, I read about their CC that you get a "Up to 56 days interest free on purchases if you pay your whole balance in full and on time", so your credit line would be cleared after almost 2 months. So actually they are giving you 50% of the deposit in one month..... Sounds no good :)

Uhm.. sounds interesting but I live in Phuket and I do not see many HSBC around... (maybe no one) ... And also their credit cards are not too much attractive... I'd like more the Beyond Platinum from SCB...

There is only one single HSBC branch here in Thailand, which is located on Rama IV at 999 Abdulrahim Building. Very arrogant staff and we only use them for our Biz Banking these days. I banked with HSBC since 1992 (HKG and US) and couldnt be bothered to work with them here in Thailand.

SCB is the way to go in my opinion. Works pretty good for me. Just an example, I made a booking for the 3 of us to Europe on Etihad over the internet. Everything was confirmed and paid with my SCB Card. It was 1124pm at night. 10 mins after my booking I received a call from SCB Customer Service asking me in proper english if everything was ok and if I am glad with the service and if I would like to pay off the tickets in 6 installements at 0%.

I am a Farang, have WP and Visa since early 2008 and did not pay any deposit. My card has a 200K THB Limit.

There is only one single HSBC branch here in Thailand, which is located on Rama IV at 999 Abdulrahim Building. Very arrogant staff and we only use them for our Biz Banking these days. I banked with HSBC since 1992 (HKG and US) and couldnt be bothered to work with them here in Thailand.

SCB is the way to go in my opinion. Works pretty good for me. Just an example, I made a booking for the 3 of us to Europe on Etihad over the internet. Everything was confirmed and paid with my SCB Card. It was 1124pm at night. 10 mins after my booking I received a call from SCB Customer Service asking me in proper english if everything was ok and if I am glad with the service and if I would like to pay off the tickets in 6 installements at 0%.

I am a Farang, have WP and Visa since early 2008 and did not pay any deposit. My card has a 200K THB Limit.

Wow! That sounds so good and professional. I think SCB is a good choice too.

What about trying for an Amex Thai Airways credit card? I received a mail shot asking me to apply for one as I was a Thai Airways Gold Card holder, I sent off the application in fun, I am retired and do not have or need a work permit, knowing I would be refused.

My credit card with a 310,000 Baht credit limit was couriered to me a couple of weeks later, I was not asked for a security deposit. I don't really need a credit card, but it's really handy for booking flights, hotels and hire cars.

• 2 months later...

What about trying for an Amex Thai Airways credit card? I received a mail shot asking me to apply for one as I was a Thai Airways Gold Card holder, I sent off the application in fun, I am retired and do not have or need a work permit, knowing I would be refused.

My credit card with a 310,000 Baht credit limit was couriered to me a couple of weeks later, I was not asked for a security deposit. I don't really need a credit card, but it's really handy for booking flights, hotels and hire cars.

I have an AMEX Gold credit card with a limit of 40,000 baht and a KTC Platinum Visa Card with 50,000 credit limit.

Had to apply twice at KTC for them to approve me a Platinum Visa card.

No Fixed deposit required.

Edited by Blackberry9700

HSBC Bangkok, 100% available Platinum Visa Card. Credit Line is 100% of your secured deposit account.

More, I read about their CC that you get a "Up to 56 days interest free on purchases if you pay your whole balance in full and on time", so your credit line would be cleared after almost 2 months. So actually they are giving you 50% of the deposit in one month..... Sounds no good :)

Actually 100% whenever you want to use it, which is not necessarily averaged per month.smile.gif