Is Martial Law Same As A Coup?

Kleenex

Do your own homework...

Little harsh as he is a newbie, though fair enough you have a point, the OP could have just googled it as i have done. look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law, if u dont like wikipedia, just google it and you can read enough articals to make you a pro. Basically it give the military control, they can impose what they like, rather than normal rule etc going through parliment.

Edited by Takeo

Well I am sorry, it seems only bitter arguments between red posters and yellow are encouraged in this forum it seems, a genuine non headline argumentative post seem to be meet with a slap in the face, just had that just confirmed, thanks for the reply Mr Takeo ............ Gezz.

I had already read this link provided, I sorry I did not link to it previously. So, under Martial Law, it is using as it's first example the 2006 Thailand Coup. I now presume that in Thailand Martial Law = a Coup. I was confused as the Chinese didn't have a Coup in the 2nd example by memory. Clearly the law of the land has been ignored with these rallies, the Gov not even bothering with Police on that sad night a couple of weeks ago and using the Army, I would have thought that would have been done under Martial Law. Gezz, I would have thought that when you need Army for crowd control that is what martial law is in developed countries.

In martial Law are farlangs expect to tip the soldiers like we have to tip corrupt police?

What I was trying to get at, was if they do the ML thingo, is it expected to later hand back control to the Gov in a few days or is it a new election?

Really, facts have proven that you can not compare Thailand to any other country in the world for normality of these riots, airport takeover blunders, Gov house take overs by the opposition of the day, wide spread scams, corruption etc. Clearly things are different in Thailand. I thought if was a good question, but clearly I failed in not trying to have a color T shirt argument. There is more than enough of that on the News Threads unfortunately. Anyway, back to the Leo refrigerator and my old hangout.

Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated region(s) on an emergency basis—usually only temporary—when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, and provide essential services), or when there are extensive riots/protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread. In most cases, military forces are deployed to quiet the crowds, secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and maintain order. Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions. The constitution could be suspended, and in full-scale martial law, a high-ranking military officer may take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government.

Martial law can be used by governments to enforce their rule over the public. Examples: after a coup d'état (Thailand 2006); when threatened by popular protest (Tiananmen Square protests of 1989);

Edited by Kleenex

Is the impending Martial Law same as a Coup?

No. A coup can result in martial law, as can many other situations

What is Martial Law?

In this case it would be the imposition of temporary military law in a limited area to quell riots and widespread disobedience of the law

How will it effect people?

Hopefully it will allow millions of people to get back to their normal lives

Actually,

It was a serous question, and I thank the serous replies. Thank you.

What is normal for the rest of the world, is certainly not normal protocol for Thailand. What is online as normal, certainly does not apply to Thailand. In a normal country, the problem would have been fixed prior to the airport take over, everybody who hijacked the airport would have been charged and prosecuted, everyone that did those silly acts in Pattaya would be in jail for a very long time, simply the current shenanigans would simply not be tolerated and would have been history long ago, but This is Thailand, Normality is not normal, TiT NnN. I was trying to ask if Martial Law was done to clear the streets so the normal citizens can live a normal life, would that in NnN Thailand be a Coup?, or would power be handed back to the Gov the following day?

I think if Martial Law does happen, (or what happens) Tourism will suffer a lot. Yes, it's all bad for your wallet.

Yes, I think I shall use western standards and definitions that is in a western dictionary's as normal practice. Try that when trying to get a refund of a broken product in Thailand, Try that when a cop pulls you over and demands bribes for something you have not done.

Just tell him, to look in the dictionary for a definition of how a police man should behave.

Wouldn’t it nice if no one else was hurt, and there was a 6 month federal election campaign that was not bought or rigged and everyone respected the result like grown ups and all normal Thais had a better quality of life. Anyway. It doesn't change the price of cheese or a big mac. I was just curious.

Edited by Kleenex

Actually,

It was a serous question, and I thank the serous replies. Thank you.

What is normal for the rest of the world, is certainly not normal protocol for Thailand. What is online as normal, certainly does not apply to Thailand. In a normal country, the problem would have been fixed prior to the airport take over, everybody who hijacked the airport would have been charged and prosecuted, everyone that did those silly acts in Pattaya would be in jail for a very long time, simply the current shenanigans would simply not be tolerated and would have been history long ago, but This is Thailand, Normality is not normal, TiT NnN. I was trying to ask if Martial Law was done to clear the streets so the normal citizens can live a normal life, would that in NnN Thailand be a Coup?, or would power be handed back to the Gov the following day?

I think if Martial Law does happen, (or what happens) Tourism will suffer a lot. Yes, it's all bad for your wallet.

Yes, I think I shall use western standards and definitions that is in a western dictionary's as normal practice. Try that when trying to get a refund of a broken product in Thailand, Try that when a cop pulls you over and demands bribes for something you have not done.

Just tell him, to look in the dictionary for a definition of how a police man should behave.

Wouldn’t it nice if no one else was hurt, and there was a 6 month federal election campaign that was not bought or rigged and everyone respected the result like grown ups and all normal Thais had a better quality of life. Anyway. It doesn't change the price of cheese or a big mac. I was just curious.

I doubt that Thai civilians have ever lived a "normal" life, as seen from a western perspective, since the 1930s when the asolute monarchy was overthrown. Having as many coups etc. as in LOS is scarcely conducive to a "normal" life.

I remember when Chuan was the PM. The "golden days" of LOS IMO, but, of course, it didn't last, thanks to Soros, one of the most evil people on the planet, IMO.