Recommendations For Resort For Romantic Weekend

Artamus

There's plenty of resorts on the web to choose from in the Chiang Mai area, but wanted to ask for specific recommendations. [And a specific search on Thai visa for "romantic resort recommendation chiang mai" didn't come up with anything useful].

I am looking for a resort recommendation (up to 100 km from Chiang Mai is fine) for me and my better half for a romantic weekend. Loosely the specification would be:

- Outside the city, preferably in "nature" (or at least some greenery).

- Quiet, romantic.

- Bungalow style preferred over a hotel room, but not too fussy on that.

- Swimming Pool (must have with all this hot weather).

- Anything up to 3,000 bhat/night OK (but I'm sure not necessary to pay anything like that now in low season).

- Up in the hills? Cooler?

Any recommendations and first hand experiiences welcome.

The Botanic Resort at Mae Rim seems to fit the bill. Anyone stayed there?

Thanks

We are big fans of the Chiang Dao Nest. It seems to hit all your prerequisites. We have stayed there many times and never been disappointed.

I agree, but the OP needs to be aware that it has no aircon in the cottages so it can be a bit hot at night right now. But otherwise it is a great place to get away from the city, and the staff are great as is the choice & quality of food.

If I was heading out I'd want somewhere shady with trees. Would seem like up the 118 might offer a few places, but it was very dry and brown when I drove up last week.

Just followed that link and Chiang Dao Nest have a swimming pool (10mx4m) now. Is that since 2007?

Personally I'd just invest in a few candles and stay home. Wait a few months, much rather have it raining all day than searing heat like this. :)

My wife and I stayed at the Botanic Resort last year. It's very nice but very remote. Certainly the air is cleaner and the silence is deafening! The views are incredible, but tend to be misty. We had one day of torrential rain. All we could do was to sit in the lobby and read. It's within walking distance to the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens which was a main focus for our stay. But the remoteness and the extreme slope on which it is situated meant we had to use taxis or the hotel bus to get around.

The hotel is in a beautiful position but for walking it was not easy as it's a very steep walk. Also if you need a 7-11 or some snacks, it's a long way from one. The hotel shop offers little, mainly OTOP products. Also the restaurant was very disappointing. A huge restaurant with open views across the Mae Rim. But the menu was restricted to Thai food and a very limited wine list. Breakfast was okay (buffet with good choice) whilst there was a party of Korean visitors staying there, but when they left, there were very few guests and breakfast was reduced to a limited choice menu.

The pool is very nice and in a tropical garden. So if it's total seclusion you want, it's great. I thought it would be a great place to seek inspiration to write a book.

There are over 50 bends in the road as it snakes up from Chiang Mai to the hotel. Expect a 250-300 baht fare.

Have fun!

P&M

My wife and I stayed at the Botanic Resort last year. It's very nice but very remote. Certainly the air is cleaner and the silence is deafening! The views are incredible, but tend to be misty. We had one day of torrential rain. All we could do was to sit in the lobby and read. It's within walking distance to the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens which was a main focus for our stay. But the remoteness and the extreme slope on which it is situated meant we had to use taxis or the hotel bus to get around.

The hotel is in a beautiful position but for walking it was not easy as it's a very steep walk. Also if you need a 7-11 or some snacks, it's a long way from one. The hotel shop offers little, mainly OTOP products. Also the restaurant was very disappointing. A huge restaurant with open views across the Mae Rim. But the menu was restricted to Thai food and a very limited wine list. Breakfast was okay (buffet with good choice) whilst there was a party of Korean visitors staying there, but when they left, there were very few guests and breakfast was reduced to a limited choice menu.

Yikes, are you sure this is a recommendation?? Did you perhaps forget to mention the snakes and scorpions? :)

I would like to offer yet another vote, from my soulmate and I, for Chiang Dao Nest.

Towering cliffs right outside your windows, delightful smallish but very clean and comfortable bungalows, romance to the MAX, hikes, great food, very sweet people..

We WILL be going back again and again and were, in fact, JUST talking about it before I came across this thread.

Be open to staying longer than you had planned - you won't regret it...

Edited by Dustoff

The best and most beautiful resort fitting your needs is The Suan Thip Vana Resort in Wian Pa Pao, about 1 hour away. The rooms are huge and have great bathrooms. They have more than 100 rai of beautiful manicured grounds. The regular rooms surround the pool, the largest pool and jacuzzi in Northern Thailand. They also have private bungalows on a hill overlooking rice fields and a stream. The main lobby area is magnificent and has a sauna, restaurant, bar that has a big television for movies and workout room.

The breakfast is included and I would have to say that they only drawback is that the food is just regular.

The best part? There is never anyone in the place unless a group books it. Regular rates are about 3500 Baht but you can negotiate this down to 2500. Not to be missed.