Thai Army Tells Red Shirts To Disperse From Rally Base

webfact

Thai army warns protesters 'time running out'

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's army warned Red Shirt anti-government protesters Thursday that "time is running out" to leave their rally site in Bangkok's commercial heart before a likely crackdown.

But the mostly poor and rural Reds, who have paralysed an area of the capital that is home to five-star hotels and major shopping centres, remained defiant and ruled out talks with the authorities until the military withdraws.

Tensions remained high in Bangkok after overnight scuffles between the red-shirted demonstrators, who are seeking immediate elections, and hundreds of rival pro-government protesters calling for the Reds to go home.

The supporters of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who include local residents and business owners, confronted the Reds and threw bottles, while some of the anti-government protesters hurled stones, bottles and firecrackers.

One foreign tourist was reported to have been slightly injured.

The red-clad movement has ruled out immediate talks with the government, despite the threat of "decisive" action by the army.

"We don't want you to risk your lives. If there is a clash you could be hurt by stray bullets," said army spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd. "Your time is running out. Please leave the area."

Sunsern said there were currently 6,000 of the red-shirted protesters at the site, down from 14,000 Wednesday evening.

But there was no air of compromise as the protesters dug in, following street clashes in Bangkok earlier this month that left 25 people dead.

The Reds have fortified their rally base in central Bangkok with home-made barricades made from bamboo poles and piles of car tyres.

"When there are guns pointed at our heads, we cannot talk," said a Reds leader, Weng Tojirakarn. "The easiest way (to resolve the crisis) is to dissolve parliament and then we will all go home."

Piles of sharpened bamboo sticks and broken paving stones have been stockpiled, triggering fears of new confrontations with security forces who are threatening to use tear gas and live fire if necessary.

The Reds are seeking immediate elections to replace the government, which it accuses of being elitist and undemocratic.

The United States urged both sides to seek a peaceful resolution to the weeks-long crisis, which has shut down the Thai capital's retail and hotel heartland, worsening the damage to the economy of the tourist destination.

"We would continue to encourage both sides to work out their disagreements peacefully," State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said. "We don't believe that violence in any shape or form is a solution to this political challenge."

Hundreds of members of the security forces and Red Shirts are now facing off at the perimeter of two zones in central Bangkok, separated by a long stretch of the makeshift barricade.

The political crisis has spread to the rural northeast, where protesters have blockaded a military train and forced busloads of troops to return to their bases.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said that although negotiations were the best way out of the crisis, there was little chance the two sides would sit down together.

"There have been several attempts to connect with the Red Shirts. I'm sure you are fully aware how difficult it is to talk to them in a unified manner," he said.

Talks last month ended in failure after Abhisit's offer of elections at the end of the year was rejected by the Reds, who insist on immediate polls.

The protesters are mainly supporters of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and is living in exile to avoid a jail sentence for corruption.

The Reds say Abhisit's government is illegitimate because it came to power in a parliamentary vote at the end of 2008 after a court ruling removed Thaksin's allies from office.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-22

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he is not in charge. Watch your back mate. If he shouts fire, who knows which way the bullets will be flying. Certainly Thailand will be flying up the UN's list of oppressive regimes and even onto US sanctions lists.

PAD, the people who wrested power from the People on the premise they were too stupid to vote, through mob rule and army control by their elite backers are now coming back on to the street to ensure that the power is not returned through the ballot box.

Can I have accurate soundbite of the day for that please on the BBC?

Nice organisation and I am not surprised they are disguising themselves as multi colourted protesters.

Once the yellow shirts go on, then the army will split.

Edited by grandpops

6000 hard core reds. That sound manageable.

And 8000 just vanished into the night? nobody saw them go? Think we would have noticed 8000 issanies on the move dont you?

This jerk is just trying to pressure Anupong into killing.

Put him and the CRES in jail and this could be resolved.

And he is not in charge. Watch your back mate. If he shouts fire, who knows which way the bullets will be flying. Certainly Thailand will be flying up the UN's list of oppressive regimes and even onto US sanctions lists.

PAD, the people who wrested power from the People on the premise they were too stupid to vote, through mob rule and army control by their elite backers are now coming back on to the street to ensure that the power is not returned through the ballot box.

Nice organisation and I am not surprised they are disguising themselves as multi colourted protesters.

What utter Nonsense Sir.

Geesh never really took note of your posts much before but you are a crackpot I see.. time to ignore your ramblings. Why are so many of the RED-farangs unstable?

Oh no need to answer won't be read

And 8000 just vanished into the night? nobody saw them go? Think we would have noticed 8000 issanies on the move dont you?

This jerk is just trying to pressure Anupong into killing.

Put him and the CRES in jail and this could be resolved.

as most of them are in Bangkok, they just drive away and fade into the night.

Every day on the drive home I see a few coming and going, but less and less each day.

Whereas 2 weeks ago, they were proudly waving flags, now their branding is a lot more subtle.

Happens every night; a group go in, and a group comes out. It isn't like they are all coming and going as a single group, but rather as a large number of individual comings and goings.

Not too hard to understand if you are here.

Geesh never really took note of your posts much before but you are a crackpot I see.. time to ignore your ramblings. Why are so many of the RED-farangs unstable?

Vacuous post only help the cause. Carry on posting mate. Sorry that you will not see my witty reply now I am on your ignore list. Or did you lie about this as well...... we will soon see.

OT

Sounds fair enough to most and am sure it will sound fair at the UN.

An election looks like democracy in action.... as opposed to a coup, constitution change and Elite (cant say army now as they are not keen to back them) mob closing an airport.

Think the call for Democracy gets lost here sometime.... what say you traderjm? oh, you won't see this will you, and in any case you never offer much other than sneers and insults.

Missing you already

Don't feed the trolls...

I wonder what are some of the members looking for? a violent show down? a blood shading clashes??

I only wish, and prey; that this level of tolerance will be attained by the army and the Thai authority ; in order to keep peace and save lives, spearing lives and blood is what's matter the most.

No matter how big the financial losses, or the fallback effects on economy: but all could be healed and retrieved ; after months or even years: But:: never you could enforce peace back, once civil conflicts would cause loss of lives. Yet; it would only seed violence and avenge in the hearts and souls of many people.

It is not a video game, nor an online game, it is real life, it is not human neither fun to anticipate or await for the final scores of who destroys who, or who takes out who....

I have to walk through these red animals every day, currently they have piles of car tyres, soaked in petrol (i saw this with my own eyes), reinforced with sharpened bamboo sticks, piles of bamboo spears stacked near by. The red guards are now carrying pistols (cant confirm if its all of them or just a few - but i saw at least 2 guards armed with firearms) i tried to take a photo but they chased me off.

Still convinced the reds are the good guys?

From my own personal vantage point having spent the last 3 weeks going through their camp twice a day every day i can say, hand on my heart, these guys are pure and simply thugs. The military need to act and soon, yes people will get hurt, and yes people will die, but these reds have been warned multiple times already, if its red blood in the streets they have nobody to blame but themselves. Simple as that.

Apocalypse Now?

Reminded me of that famous line.

"I love the smell of naplam in the morning!"

Gas soaked tires... jeeze Louise,

I hope the wind is not too high or variable when they light this off.

hel_l of a smell too.

But that will be nothing compared to the

multi-directional fumes and carcinogens put out.

There is no Thailand if the government can't disperse a mob of 6000 armed rebels occupying an important district of the capital. No, it is not a game. It is about the very existence of Thailand as a nation. This is civilization vs. anarchy. Would the red thugs be tolerated for weeks in your country? You say yes? I don't believe you.

Edited by Jingthing

Pity they did'nt crackdown on the yellows previously, if they had of, maybe the reds would'nt have copied them. The two airports and government house were occupied without any resitance from the army or police. Double standards.

Pity they did'nt crackdown on the yellows previously, if they had of, maybe the reds would'nt have copied them. The two airports and government house were occupied without any resitance from the army or police. Double standards.

Broken record.

*SIGH* where do they keep coming from? I thought it was LOW season now so all the tourists left...

-

I guess it will come down to a fight, not army, not police, but between protestors, pro and anti government.

It will be nasty, bloody and dirty, but my money is on the pro-government side...they're boiling over...

you should be ashamed of yourself to bet on others "nasty, bloody and dirty" grieves.

I wonder what are some of the members looking for? a violent show down? a blood shading clashes??

I only wish, and prey; that this level of tolerance will be attained by the army and the Thai authority ; in order to keep peace and save lives, spearing lives and blood is what's matter the most.

No matter how big the financial losses, or the fallback effects on economy: but all could be healed and retrieved ; after months or even years: But:: never you could enforce peace back, once civil conflicts would cause loss of lives. Yet; it would only seed violence and avenge in the hearts and souls of many people.

It is not a video game, nor an online game, it is real life, it is not human neither fun to anticipate or await for the final scores of who destroys who, or who takes out who....

That's a good point Zaza which was brought home to me last week up in Udon Thani.

2 nephews were playing with "toy" guns and as one them pointed he gave a "war cry" "Arisman".

This was before his great escape but it said much about the attitude of many in the so called "heart-lands" of the Reds.

Like wise the adults treat the whole thing here in Bangkok as something akin to a football game.

It's almost perfect seeing the Reds bear the same colours as the beloved ManU and Liverpool.

But, sadly this is not a football game or an online game...it is as you correctly say, REAL LIFE

Maybe the Red so called leaders should think a bit more about their followers, before they end up as cannon fodder.

But the reds did not respond until Thaksin lost his court case. So presumably there is a connection?

Paint ball guns could put a swift end to this stand off. Green, yellow, blue, orange....no one will know who's who.

LOL - That would be great. The world's biggest paintball fight!

Seriously though, can somebody tell me why the army and Police can't go in with just riot gear, baton's, and shields and physically move people? Why is there the need for the soldiers to arm themselves with anything resembling a firearm, be it rubber bullets or live ammo? If they can man-handle people on to the big mobile lock-up trucks that are everywhere, then surely that would be a start, wouldn't it?

that sort of thing used to happen every saturday afternoon outside most football stadiums in the UK, but without the Army!

It's ok, the Air Force commander has just joined the fray.

Sorry can't link to it on here, you will have to look elsewhere.

He is saying that the Mulitcoloureds must respect the law and that the country belongs to everybody Red, Yellow anything.

F-16 attack on the CRES anybody?

Also, Special Branch Police reporting 40,000 reds on site.

Many prevented from bolstering site planning second protest site!!! This crowd is only static because of some serious blocks in the area.

Disperse this and it will move one two blocks if they are lucky and spread to all of Bangkok if they are not lucky. Instantly that is... no 6 weeks preparation for a panicked mob fleeing the army guns. INSTANTLY!!! 40,000 vengeful people will probably show to the CRES, that they really have been peacful all this time.... It's all relative.

Might even affect Nana Plaze if they drive them that way!!!!

Edited by grandpops

It's ok, the Air Force commander has just joined the fray.

Sorry can't link to it on here, you will have to look elsewhere.

He is saying that the Mulitcoloureds must respect the law and that the country belongs to everybody Red, Yellow anything.

F-16 attack on the CRES anybody?

You should get up on the red stage. You've got the violent rhetoric down pat.

Why are so men red-farangs unstable? The down and out in the west seethe with anger towards people with educations and blame everyone else for their problems. And when in Thailand they gravitate to the same ilk.