Help What Kind Of Snake Is This

monkfish

I have read that most venomous snakebites in Australia occur when people try to kill them.

The bucket idea might not be a good one, venomous snakes can "uncoil" rather remarkably fast and often can move very fast too. If someone put a bucket over my head I would not sit there placidly, and I doubt that the viper would either.

In America in the Mojave dessert in our SouthWest there is the "Sidewinder Rattlesnake," who has quite the reputation for not only being aggressive but for attacking a person from quite a distance without any provocation at all. They will even chase a person! They can be extremely fast in sand.

Neat thread, and I'm happy you got rid of the viper.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these comments only prove one thing....total ignorance about snakes.

Thailand has dozens of species. And most people even in Bangkok and Pattaya do not realise their roof space will have at least one snake of some kind living in it eating birds, mice and rats. Leave them alone and they will stay well away from you.

A recent survey in the USA found that 90% of snake bites had resulted from people poking around or touching the animal and in over 50% of the cases alcohol had been a prime factor as well.

Snakes do not see humans as food and only bite them in self defense.

snakes are teritorrial. Kill one and another will move in and might be more dangerous.

Leave them alone and do as the woman did - get expert help.

All these comments only prove one thing....total ignorance about snakes.

Thailand has dozens of species. And most people even in Bangkok and Pattaya do not realise their roof space will have at least one snake of some kind living in it eating birds, mice and rats. Leave them alone and they will stay well away from you.

A recent survey in the USA found that 90% of snake bites had resulted from people poking around or touching the animal and in over 50% of the cases alcohol had been a prime factor as well.

Snakes do not see humans as food and only bite them in self defense.

snakes are teritorrial. Kill one and another will move in and might be more dangerous.

Leave them alone and do as the woman did - get expert help.

Just like your posts proves you didn't read every reply. :)

I'll bring you one of these and then you'll only have ONE snake to worry about. :):D:D

The kings eat other snakes... as well as rodents. They are also territorial and stay in one area if there is enough food available. They are also very smart and can not only recognize different people, but analyze if someone is a threat or not.

Cobra_077.jpg

Ian_with_cobra_2.sized.jpg

That cobra looks rather super-imposed IanForbes...

Also the shadow of the snake's head and neck, and Ian's body don't seem at quite the same angle for one source of sunlight?

Always some bloody stupid conspiracy type theories on TV eh!!! Thanks for posting Ian.

Does anyone have a list or link of snake rescue people in Thailand? Sound like they were really on the ball.

Most of the people in this thread will not agree with my opinion, but I hate snakes. I must admit most have ran away before I could ensure they wouldn't return.

The 3 times the snakes that decided my home is their new home, I chopped up, unfortunately one was a python and I felt a little bit guilty later, but the first two were very venomous and very aggressive. Ended up chopping them in half with one of those tree branch pruning tools on a 15 foot pole with a rope for a trigger that you pull. I have no regrets, one was a red belly black snake in my home, I slept much better. I did recycle it though and helped global warming by composting it, so I am a little bit environmentally friendly.

In your home - as in "In your sleeping quarters?"

Snakes in my dreams - ruining my retirement sleep in LOS.

I'm going to invest in one of those tree pruners, though.

I'm never going to get close enough to a snake to throw a bucket over it. :)

As a by-the-way-

A life time ago, I worked for a Pharmaceutical company which kept a colony of Malayan Pit Vipers for venom extraction. Following many reports of after affects of bites in Malaya - one of the perculiar aspects of the venom is the anti-clotting affect on blood. Strange as it may seem, many people who were bitten, and suffered from coronary thrombosis, actually incurred some degree of recovery from their CT.

The pharmaceutical company 'distilled' the venom to extract the agent responsible and produce a drug which would break down the clots in various veins and arteries.

Perhaps Irrelevant to th topic - but it may be of interest to some.

This is a Malayan Pit Viper which they state is poisonous.

57.jpg

sian-info

As a by-the-way-

A life time ago, I worked for a Pharmaceutical company which kept a colony of Malayan Pit Vipers for venom extraction. Following many reports of after affects of bites in Malaya - one of the perculiar aspects of the venom is the anti-clotting affect on blood. Strange as it may seem, many people who were bitten, and suffered from coronary thrombosis, actually incurred some degree of recovery from their CT.

The pharmaceutical company 'distilled' the venom to extract the agent responsible and produce a drug which would break down the clots in various veins and arteries.

Perhaps Irrelevant to the topic - but it may be of interest to some.

I heard exactly the same thing. There are often beneficial side affects that are found when studying something completely different.

This is true. I've had several torches stolen by these thieving snakes. :)

So How do you know it was the snakes if they'd nicked your torch?

The shape of a 'dolphin' torch is quite distinct...even when it's in a snake's belly. :D Ever seen a snake that glows in the dark? :D

Unless you piss them off, most snakes will just try to escape.

I have to give you a caution about this statement. I used to do a lot of hiking in the States when I was younger. I can think of at least 3 times I/we came upon copperheads on the trail that had no intention of moving out of the way. Same once with a rattler.

Yep. You're right. Lots of snakes become aggressive, especially depending on the time of the year in the U.S. If you ever encounter a Water Moccasin and expect it to retreat, you are in for one nasty surprise.

Here is another snake I assume it is a harmless tree snake as it jumped to the next tree before I could get a decent shot.

aaa00013.jpg

That is a great photo just as it is. It is artisticly more pleasing than a standard photo of a snake on the ground. All the angles and colors fit perfectly, with just enough detail to give the photo life.

We also got a Malaysian pit viper at home (twice). There's a family of those living in the grassland near our home. I tried to use a stick to get it away (we have a baby at home). I didn't want to kill it. I didn't know it was dangerous.

My neighbor is a doctor. He saw me and advised me to never do that again. He's retired now, but during his career he saw several people loosing a finger, hand or leg because of this kind of snake. Even his own son was bitten by one of these and he almost lost his foot.

He told me it's better/safer to kill it and he did so.

This is true. I've had several torches stolen by these thieving snakes. :)

So How do you know it was the snakes if they'd nicked your torch?

The shape of a 'dolphin' torch is quite distinct...even when it's in a snake's belly. :D Ever seen a snake that grows in the dark? :D

My girlfriend's seen a snake that grows in the dark.

but luminous dolphin eating snakes?

You're talking cobras