350 British Tourists Cause Near-Riot At Bangkok Airport

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these people at the airport are idiots. Firstly, the fault lies with NATS and the CAA in the UK who closed the airports without valid reasons for doing so or carrying out an appropriate risk assessment. Why should Thai Air, the Thai people or the British tax-payer pay for their hotels? If they are now skint they really should not have come here should they. You have to be thick to think you are going to get home without a long wait: ten or eleven Thai Air flights to London did not run so that is about 5000 people trying to get the spare seats on the planes now flying. However, whilst I agree Thai Air are hopeless in a crisis they are no worse than other airlines. I am stuck in Thailand and Thai gave me a new confimed seat on 03 May but put me on the waitlist for the next 3 flights -- it was obvious I would not get on those flights. "How many are on the waitlist?" I enquired. "I don't know." was the answer. Airlines always lie.

I find your ranting a bit rich, most northern European countries shut their air space to all flights, the one main issue was that jet engine manufactures had never conducted tests on jet engines to determine what was an acceptable levels, and initial statements indicated that if ash could be detected it could damage the engines.

Emirates seem to be saying they are on top of the problem with extra fights to/from Asia and Europe, anyone waiting or got out on Emirates like to comment?

Emirates Media Statement

I haven't seen this much vehement trash-talk between Euros-Yanks-Aussies on this forum in awhile (Farangs) :) It certainly makes for a more entertaining Forum, as it was getting boring reading about the Reds and the Yellows :D

Personally, I wouldn't stay at the airport if it was clear that no flights were available for an extended period of time--even if they were giving out blankets and provisions--descent lodging can be had for as low as $15 USD around bangkok. Perhaps, they enjoy the social ambiance of being able to complain to one another about thier sorry situation--like a Pub without beer? :D

Most of these stranded passengers chose Thailand as a vacation destination; they should've made the most of thier situation by extending their vacation so-to-speak. They've been given the perfect excuse for not having to not return to work!

Edited by Rathai

I haven't seen this much vehement trash-talk between Euros-Yanks-Aussies on this forum in awhile (Farangs) :) It certainly makes for a more entertaining Forum, as it was getting boring reading about the Reds and the Yellows :D

Personally, I wouldn't stay at the airport if it was clear that no flights were available for an extended period of time--even if they were giving out blankets and provisions--descent lodging can be had for as low as $15 USD around bangkok. Perhaps, they enjoy the social ambiance of being able to complain to one another about thier sorry situation--like a Pub without beer? :D

Most of these stranded passengers chose Thailand as a vacation destination; they should've made the most of thier situation by extending their vacation so-to-speak. They've been given the perfect excuse for not having to not return to work!

I presume many of the people camping out at the airport have been given travel dates a long time in the future and are there in the hope of catching a stand by seat.

There probably will be many stand by seats due to the mess of many airlines booking systems and multiple bookings, the only way to get these seats is to be at check in when it closes.

The UK Government along with many others has advised it citizens to avoid Bangkok and for those with travel insurance (that actually pay out) going into Bangkok may invalidate them, (note while most governments are advising all it's citizens to avoid Bangkok one is inviting all it's citizens to a Town Hall meeting in the centre of Bangkok, tomorrow). :D

Another issue while many have chosen to make the best of it and stay on and wait a few weeks for the first flight bookable may fall foul of the immigration amnesty for stranded passengers which may cease when there is no longer stranded passengers camped out at the airport.

I presume many of the people camping out at the airport have been given travel dates a long time in the future and are there in the hope of catching a stand by seat.

There probably will be many stand by seats due to the mess of many airlines booking systems and multiple bookings, the only way to get these seats is to be at check in when it closes.

The UK Government along with many others has advised it citizens to avoid Bangkok and for those with travel insurance (that actually pay out) going into Bangkok may invalidate them, (note while most governments are advising all it's citizens to avoid Bangkok one is inviting all it's citizens to a Town Hall meeting in the centre of Bangkok, tomorrow). :D

Another issue while many have chosen to make the best of it and stay on and wait a few weeks for the first flight bookable may fall foul of the immigration amnesty for stranded passengers which may cease when there is no longer stranded passengers camped out at the airport.

It sucks to travel low budget.

It's a very annoying scenario for many travelers:

They're not familiar with Thailand. They don't know where the lower priced hotels/guest houses. They're easy prey for taxi drivers and others who can easily take advantage.

Each morning, they pack up all their baggage, take an overpriced trip to the airport, hang around asking unanswered questions for hours in the hope they'll get a flight back home (stand-by or.....?). And more often than not they won't get a flight, so at the end of a v. frustrating day, they take another taxi back to an overpriced hotel (same one?) and prepare to do it all over again, day after day.

Thai tourist services are known for doing things well when the money is flowing. For the above scenario, the money is only flowing to taxis and hotels, so other tourist sector people (airlines, ticket sellers, etc) give the stuck tourists a big 'mai pen rai' or 'so sorry' or 'just a moment please'.

To top it off, some of the hotels where the tourists are dropped are alongside the combat zone created by the ultra loud Red shirts - plus the airlines won't pay for hotels, claiming it's 'an act of God.'

No matter that they don't know about or believe in God (they're mostly Buddhists), it's just convenient legalese for avoiding responsibility for taking proper care of stranded tourists.

I heard that some Thai's tour groups got stuck in Europe stayed at Thai temples while waiting for their flight home.

Any Farang wants to sleep in BKK churches?

Also, those Farang which have no money while waiting for their flights might consider joining the RED, now that warning RED is no longer compulsory. There are plenty of tent to shelter from rain/sun, and the food there are free (you may need to invest 10 Baht on a foot clapper to show your support). You may need to appear on stage 5 mins a day as a gratitude to the host. Just my thoughts. Hehehe :)

Most of these people at the airport are idiots. Firstly, the fault lies with NATS and the CAA in the UK who closed the airports without valid reasons for doing so or carrying out an appropriate risk assessment. Why should Thai Air, the Thai people or the British tax-payer pay for their hotels? If they are now skint they really should not have come here should they. You have to be thick to think you are going to get home without a long wait: ten or eleven Thai Air flights to London did not run so that is about 5000 people trying to get the spare seats on the planes now flying. However, whilst I agree Thai Air are hopeless in a crisis they are no worse than other airlines. I am stuck in Thailand and Thai gave me a new confimed seat on 03 May but put me on the waitlist for the next 3 flights -- it was obvious I would not get on those flights. "How many are on the waitlist?" I enquired. "I don't know." was the answer. Airlines always lie.

I find your ranting a bit rich, most northern European countries shut their air space to all flights, the one main issue was that jet engine manufactures had never conducted tests on jet engines to determine what was an acceptable levels, and initial statements indicated that if ash could be detected it could damage the engines.

Emirates seem to be saying they are on top of the problem with extra fights to/from Asia and Europe, anyone waiting or got out on Emirates like to comment?

Emirates Media Statement

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access...mp;pqatl=google

BA have learned its lesson.

My Thai flight on 21st was cancelled but it looks as though I will fly on 28th. Overall, I haven't been greatly disturbed by the delay. The wife reluctantly agreed that we would be safer at the seaside, so I got to visit sin city for the first time in years. The worse thing has been the lack of information and Thai's general inefficiency. They couldn't say until late on 20th that the flight was off, the website was not updated, the call centre was understaffed with 50 minute waits on the internal call handling system. It was only when I started calling the Khon Kaen office that I started to make progress. Even then Thai did not call me back on the day promised, and I am treating their current offer of a confirmed flight with reserved seats as still just that bit uncertain. My insurer has confirmed that my coverage is good, but still expects me to get a letter from Thai confirming the delay and that they will not meet my costs.

It will be interesting to hear later which airlines did and did not pick up the tab. I heard that Qantas (as an example of a non-EU based airline) did. Thai is not a budget airline and their decision not to pay may well have a marketing impact, especially given their recent fare hikes. I suspect that some of those who are out of funds had wrongly believed that there was a safety net in cases like this. Apparently many Thais stuck in Europe have also been suffering.

My Thai flight on 21st was cancelled but it looks as though I will fly on 28th. Overall, I haven't been greatly disturbed by the delay. The wife reluctantly agreed that we would be safer at the seaside, so I got to visit sin city for the first time in years. The worse thing has been the lack of information and Thai's general inefficiency. They couldn't say until late on 20th that the flight was off, the website was not updated, the call centre was understaffed with 50 minute waits on the internal call handling system. It was only when I started calling the Khon Kaen office that I started to make progress. Even then Thai did not call me back on the day promised, and I am treating their current offer of a confirmed flight with reserved seats as still just that bit uncertain. My insurer has confirmed that my coverage is good, but still expects me to get a letter from Thai confirming the delay and that they will not meet my costs.

It will be interesting to hear later which airlines did and did not pick up the tab. I heard that Qantas (as an example of a non-EU based airline) did. Thai is not a budget airline and their decision not to pay may well have a marketing impact, especially given their recent fare hikes. I suspect that some of those who are out of funds had wrongly believed that there was a safety net in cases like this. Apparently many Thais stuck in Europe have also been suffering.

Yes it will be interesting which airlines did best and who's earned the wooden spoon?

Hope all goes well for the 28th.

I went up to Swampy this morning, on the very bottom floor they have made an *encampment* With various embassies being represented with kiosks.

There is food, water, toiletries, books, internet, medicine etc. It's not ideal but at least the Thais are trying. A lot of pissed-off people though.

I went to see if anybody wanted putting up at my home because I only live 20 mins from Swampy and I thought it would be better than sleeping on the floor but when I got there I didn't seem necessary.

Not trying to be a hero, but being skint in a foreign country is no joke. I know! I thought maybe I could help a family out or some backpackers or something.

I could have earned myself a full merit-making for 2010 in one hit....lol.

same, same in that paper... so-called "Western journalism"... phfft

Western "journalists" in Thailand are constantly desperate to have their stories published and will basically write complete and utter sensationalist fabrications to get noticed. No one really cares about or is interested in Thailand in the outside world so it is a constant struggle for them to get printed.

And given how cheap Thailand is I have difficulty understanding how they can't afford 500 baht for a hotel or 30 baht for a bowl of noodles.

I've read your post and I just feel sorry. Do you really want to know why they can't afford 500 baht for a hotel, or 30 baht for a soup?

The answer is easy : YES.

But: Where I'm staying are many people jobless, those who're working lower jobs are making from 150-240 baht/day. Please make your own Math how you'd live......

The source puts it all in perspective. :)

I never realised that EU regulations applied in Thailand.

What are the international rules for the situation where a national airline cannot fly to another country for reasons that are beyond their control?

An EU Transport official clarified the the situation on BBC World TV.

He said that any Airline that is based in the EU is resposible for rebooking/refunding the passengers, with accomodation and food.

This applies to inbound and outbound flights.

He said the Airlines are not liable for any compensation, Because of the unusual nature of the delays..

A non EU based Airline is only responsible for accomodation food etc., for flights departing from Europe.

My daughter left with the additional Thai Airways flight to Paris on Sunday.

According to her, there were still 30 to 40 seats available on the flight that were not filled up.

Well, I guess they wanted the stranded passengers to feel comfortable...

Edited by eurasianthai

(with thanks London Standard .AD.)

Britons stranded in Bangkok since the Icelandic volcano erupted today accused airlines of telling lies to avoid their responsibilities.

As some Britons slept for the eighth night at Suvarnabhumi airport, with only a trickle finding seats back to London, the airlines were accused of:

Smuggling VIPs on to flights through “staff” check-in desks to avoid angry confrontations.

Denying they have seats but offering them on the internet for up to £3,000.

Refusing to allow other airlines to buy spare seats for stranded passengers to maximise profits from people paying cash.

Tracey and Phil Groves, from Braintree, Essex, and their twins Harry and Sophy, were bumped from this morning's Thai flight to Heathrow.

She said: “They said they had no seats but when I checked on their internet website I was offered two tickets to fly out on Tuesday for 300,000 Thai baht.

That's about £6,000. It was unbelievable.”

Russ Camm, 29, an IT consultant from Leeds, travelling on India-based Jet Airways with his girlfriend Kim Mellor, said: “We have been faced with nothing but dishonesty, and occasional sarcasm.

Everybody is trying to avoid their responsibilities.”

The problem in Bangkok is compounded by a couple of small anti-government protesters who have brought the Thai capital to a virtual standstill

:D

So looks like the ESCAPE Ticket price has levelled out at @ £3000 per punter.......

Family of 4 ...that will be £12,000 please .......luvly jub ...

but of course for all of the rich expat gov supporters that only dimes ...init...

Quick.. book your next holiday before the price goes UP..........dont aaaall rush............. :)

Fun in the Sun......

Boo hoo. Next time Brits travel maybe they should bring more of their commonly bragged about pound over to spend instead of trying to shoestring it up like homeless gypsy vagrants.

I was in two frames of mind about WM whether he was an idiot or not. He has, without a shadow of a doubt, just made my mind up.

I went up to Swampy this morning, on the very bottom floor they have made an *encampment* With various embassies being represented with kiosks.

There is food, water, toiletries, books, internet, medicine etc. It's not ideal but at least the Thais are trying. A lot of pissed-off people though.

I went to see if anybody wanted putting up at my home because I only live 20 mins from Swampy and I thought it would be better than sleeping on the floor but when I got there I didn't seem necessary.

Not trying to be a hero, but being skint in a foreign country is no joke. I know! I thought maybe I could help a family out or some backpackers or something.

I could have earned myself a full merit-making for 2010 in one hit....lol.

Last time the airport was closed I let one of our customers stay in one of our condos for free for 5 days. He owed us £30 from the previous months rent and promised he would send it on. Despite several reminders he never did, it kind of takes the "goog samaritan" out of you when this happens.

Boo hoo. Next time Brits travel maybe they should bring more of their commonly bragged about pound over to spend instead of trying to shoestring it up like homeless gypsy vagrants.

I was in two frames of mind about WM whether he was an idiot or not. He has, without a shadow of a doubt, just made my mind up.

second that :)

put two brits out of their country and u soon enough you get hooliganism. in many brits there is this left over arrogance from the days of empire which asserts their alleged right to behave as they bloody well please.

still, it has to be said i'd take a brit hooligan over a german any day.

Dear oh dear....get over it, referring back to the days of the Empire when all this forum has to do with is people queuing for plane tickets. You must have some serious hang-ups to deal with...you may as well start your xenophobic arguments against the French, Portugese, Spanish etc etc etc. Maybe your problems go back as far as the Egyptians or the Romans... you could do a search on your family tree and see how far back you were abused by Imperialists. Tell you what, you can come and wash my British underpants if you feel so insecure about your status and that will make you feel much more oppressed.

Edited by eltelboy

put two brits out of their country and u soon enough you get hooliganism. in many brits there is this left over arrogance from the days of empire which asserts their alleged right to behave as they bloody well please.

still, it has to be said i'd take a brit hooligan over a german any day.

Dear oh dear....get over it, referring back to the days of the Empire when all this forum has to do with is people queuing for plane tickets. You must have some serious hang-ups to deal with...you may as well start your xenophobic arguments against the French, Portugese, Spanish etc etc etc. Maybe your problems go back as far as the Egyptians or the Romans... you could do a search on your family tree and see how far back you were abused by Imperialists. Tell you what, you can come and wash my British underpants if you feel so insecure about your status and that will make you feel much more oppressed.

:)

According to her, there were still 30 to 40 seats available on the flight that were not filled up.

I would be curious to know if THAI is upgrading passengers to fill every seat, or if they are flying with empty First Class...

I would be curious to know if THAI is upgrading passengers to fill every seat, or if they are flying with empty First Class...

Smuggling VIPs on to flights through “staff” check-in desks to avoid angry confrontations.

Denying they have seats but offering them on the internet for up to £3,000.

Refusing to allow other airlines to buy spare seats for stranded passengers to maximise profits from people paying cash.

For these priced tics I would expect the co-pilots seat :)

incid read that JET is now getting a "slagging off" for the way its treating its horoured guests/passengers ...cattle

thought about giving them a go but looks like AVOID :D ...sad .....whos next....?

WARNING is now to AVOID Thailand.

Looks like the FCO and now upped their previous travel statement that tourists should avoid Bangkok ...only essential business etc ..

but according to BBC this morning the WARNING is now to AVOID Thailand. :)

If correct that could now mean NO insurance cover anywhere in country......sad .......Cmon Abbi ....solution.....on more than just a nail in the coffin..... :D

should avoid my computer ...need a new keyboard..

Travel Summary

FCO ...28th April 2020. :)

The overall level of the advice has changed on 27 April; we currently advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

•We advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand due to the increasingly volatile and tense political situation. Violent incidents of an unpredictable nature are occurring in many parts of Thailand.

•In the early hours of 27 April, substantial numbers of troops deployed in Central Bangkok.

On 26/27 April there were at least eight incidents in various parts of Thailand involving protestors setting up barricades, in some instances leading to clashes with the security forces.

•In the last week, protests and violent incidents have taken place in other parts of Thailand including popular tourist destinations such as Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ayuthaya and other locations.

(See Terrorism/Security section for further details

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living...ceania/thailand