Rwanda Style Genocide.

Richb2004v2

I noticed on TV last night some scenes from the movie 'Hotel Rwanda'. They were being shown in slow motion with musical accompaniment rather than the actual sound track. I didn't think much of it and just wondered why it was on as it's doesn't seem the kind of movie to interest the Thai audience. Then this morning my wife asked if we had this move and if she could watch it. It seems that one of the TV programs last night commented on the possibility of a Rwanda type genocide occurring in Thailand in the near future if things don't improve. I was quite shocked it this and wondered if it is a realistic prospect to even talk about. I guess Asia has had episodes of inter-race genocide in the recent past but it still seems an extreme prophecy. Did anyone see the program, and what do you think?

there was a genocide in cambodia, but it's a long gone history. In rwanda there are genocides happening now and than, due to the conflict of two tribes.

I don't see anything near happening in thailand or anywhere in the world, with an exeption of a very few african countries.

what we can see is a beginning of the civil war, like the cromwell's english revolution, in france at the end of 18th century or closer to our times the spanish civil war - all of them were as bloody as rwanda, but at least they served some political and social progress

Edited by londonthai

Isn't Genocide by definition killing based on racial, ethnic or cultural background? So it wouldn't even be considered genocide if the killing was based on political views or wealth..?

(ie one could simple change their political views to avoid death, whetheras one cannot change ones ethnicity and thus with genocide cannot avoid being killed)

So it seem that no matter how much killing were to occur in Thailand it could not be a genocide, so could not be compared to Rwanda...

there was a genocide in cambodia, but it's a long gone history. In rwanda there are genocides happening now and than, due to the conflict of two tribes.

I don't see anything near happening in thailand or anywhere in the world, with an exeption of a very few african countries.

what we can see is a beginning of the civil war, like the cromwell's english revolution, in france at the end of 18th century or closer to our times the spanish civil war - all of them were as bloody as rwanda, but at least they served some political and social progress

The similarity ends with the words"Civil War" What happened in England under Cromwell who was a Republican and the events of the French revolution have no connection with Thailand and the present unrest. Very basically in both England and France, the monarchs lost their heads because they had no interest in their subjects..

I rightly got suspended previously for discussing further, so use your imagination. It isn't going to happen, is it?

Maybe the 'have not's' will rise up against 'have's'. In Cambodia I think it was partly based on wealth and intellect. In Thailand the 'haves' could be picked out by their Blackberry, Fortuners and pale skin.

Those that can't be mentioned will just continue doing what ever it is they do.

Maybe the 'have not's' will rise up against 'have's'. In Cambodia I think it was partly based on wealth and intellect. In Thailand the 'haves' could be picked out by their Blackberry, Fortuners and pale skin.

Those that can't be mentioned will just continue doing what ever it is they do.

Thats a possibility.

Maybe the have nots will send people to every chemist and check who is buying the whitener,but at the end of the day there isnt that many haves,even though they are not a nice bunch.