Thai Tourist Police Arrest Foreign Gang In 100 Million Baht Fraud

webfact

Thai police arrest Taiwan fraud ring

BANGKOK: -- Thai tourist police have arrested eight Taiwanese and initially charged them with illegal possession of credit cards belonging to other people and causing damage to the owners, a senior police officer said.

Central Investigation Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Thangai Prasjaksattru told a press conference that the eight Taiwan nationals were apprehended while they were withdrawing cash from ATMs in Bangkok’s Pratunam area.

Police also seized 659 foreign ATM cards, four computer notebooks, 20 cell phones and a large amount of computer accessories in their possession, said Gen Thangai.

He said the telephone fraud ring members had admitted to investigators during questioning that they had rung Chinese victims instructing them to transfer money to specified bank accounts "to pay taxes and other service fees". The money would be paid into ATMs in Thailand with flashdrives being used to check accounts and with funds deposited or withdrawn by computer.

The total amount swindled exceeded 20 million yuan or some Bt100 million, with each gang member receiving between 5-10 per cent out of the total money paid by a victim, said Gen Thangai.

The authorities in Taiwan said Taiwanese telephone fraud rings have set up new 'call centres' in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines after Taiwan and China joined in crime-fighting and judicial collaboration following an across-strait pact in April 2009. The task of the 'call centre' operators is to ring mobile phone numbers and con people into transferring money to specified bank accounts.

Potential victims are told that they are eligible for a tax rebate or are warned to transfer their savings from one account to another because they are being targeted by a fraud ring, according to the Taipeh authorities.

Taiwan’s Criminal Investigation Bureau has collaborated with its Thai counterpart since 2008 to jointly crack down on such fraud rings, said Taiwanese police. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-04-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I must say, it is amazing how everyone ever arrested for anything always admit to their crime in amazing Thailand.

This kind of scams have been going on for years,all around the world, still can not understand why it takes Thai police 100 000 000 loss to actually catch someone.

I must say, it is amazing how everyone ever arrested for anything always admit to their crime in amazing Thailand.

This kind of scams have been going on for years,all around the world, still can not understand why it takes Thai police 100 000 000 loss to actually catch someone.

Just be grateful they are caught; more scum off the street.

Thai police today caught a group of overseas visitors in a credit car scam

Police say they where caught red handed trying to get money from ATMs during a practice run, and they confiscated to 100 baht per person they had already taken from the machines

The police raid also uncovered a great number of defective ATMs, as they recorded 50,000 baht being taken per person on each transaction instead of the true amount of 100 baht

The police will ask the banks to repair there faulty machines as soon as possible, so to avoid a long drawn out costly accounting check up

The police raid also uncovered a great number of defective ATMs, as they recorded 50,000 baht being taken per person on each transaction instead of the true amount of 100 baht

The police will ask the banks to repair there faulty machines as soon as possible, so to avoid a long drawn out costly accounting check up

This unsubstantiated statement appears to have little to do with the Credit Card scam.

Any such defect in the ATM can only be an inside job at the bank,

and from my experience in the banking industry I think that unlikely.

Once such a defect were recognised, which should be within 24 hours

when the ATM records do not match with the money in the cassettes inside the ATM,

the bank will be hot on the task without any prompting from the police.

You got to hand it to the boys in brown; “Miss Maple’s” eat you hart out. When it comes to the big stuff, big money fraud, axe murder or other high profile crimes, the BIB are the dog’s dangly bits! We salute you……………..”Scheewing”

From what I’ve seen of the BIB the crimes are all cleaned up, confections typed out and signed with time for a group photo at the station, all before the bodies gone cold.

Let’s be honest any police force that can stop you when driving and determine you were speeding without any equipment is good. I was stopped, told I was speeding, 69 mph, yes, 69 mph, when asked how he got this figure. He actually got stroppy and said to me; “I police, you go too fast……..500bt” got it down to 150bt. Just another day!

This unsubstantiated statement appears to have little to do with the Credit Card scam.

when the ATM records do not match with the money in the cassettes inside the ATM,

Ozzieman is actually correct.

How they work is, they install a tiny device on the ATM which reads your card and camera records the pin/password.

This scam/incident took place in Australia about 7 years ago, people had money going missing from their accounts and no one could understand what the hel_l went on. Luckily Oz police is slightly better then Thai, so they caught on it in 3 days and arrested people with the "machines"

It looks like a small box and is usually placed just above the key pad on ATM.Some times very hard to see it even with a trained eye as it seems to blend with the machine.

Ozzieman is actually correct.

How they work is, they install a tiny device on the ATM which reads your card and camera records the pin/password.

This scam/incident took place in Australia about 7 years ago, people had money going missing from their accounts and no one could understand what the hel_l went on. Luckily Oz police is slightly better then Thai, so they caught on it in 3 days and arrested people with the "machines"

It looks like a small box and is usually placed just above the key pad on ATM.Some times very hard to see it even with a trained eye as it seems to blend with the machine.

I remember the same thing here about 18 months back, I remember seeing an interview on Thai PBS with the Technical Director at Siam Commerical, I think they in particular had their machines targeted and he was assuring the public that SCB ATM's were safe after additional checks and added security features.

Well actually most criminals do admit their guilt when caught. You have obviously never worked as an investigator on complicated white collar crimes with multiple victims and numerous locations over a long period of time. Another ignorant post.

Ha, ha. Because they're from Tawain they get the honour of being called 'foreigners'

What if it had been an Irishman, Brit, German and Kiwi etc? I very much doubt they'd have been called a 'foreign gang' More like a 'farang gang'.

Put your own spin on the spin.

Well actually most criminals do admit their guilt when caught. You have obviously never worked as an investigator on complicated white collar crimes with multiple victims and numerous locations over a long period of time. Another ignorant post.

oH BOY and here we go again Mr Know it all and done it all.

what do you know of my background and what do you know of Thai investigation techniques?

If anyone is ignorant, that would be you with your baseless not to mention useless assumptions!

I always think the same thing. I dont think I have ever read a report where an accused has declined to be questioned.

Actually, most dont, and before you have a go at me too, I am a former law enforcement officer. Sorry, but you are wrong, most criminals unless caught red handed will not admit anything.

I always think the same thing. I dont think I have ever read a report where an accused has declined to be questioned.

Lol, yeah not only they admit but always give up all associates. Makes you wonder what techniques Thai police uses, i am sure it would be helpful to other country's law enforcement as well as CIA to gather information about Al Queda.

You got to hand it to the boys in brown; "Miss Maple's" eat you hart out. When it comes to the big stuff, big money fraud, axe murder or other high profile crimes, the BIB are the dog's dangly bits! We salute you…………….."Scheewing"

From what I've seen of the BIB the crimes are all cleaned up, confections typed out and signed with time for a group photo at the station, all before the bodies gone cold.

Let's be honest any police force that can stop you when driving and determine you were speeding without any equipment is good. I was stopped, told I was speeding, 69 mph, yes, 69 mph, when asked how he got this figure. He actually got stroppy and said to me; "I police, you go too fast……..500bt" got it down to 150bt. Just another day!

:):D

Just be grateful they are caught; more scum off the street.

which scum? the police or the Taiwanese? Which is worse- a person to swears to uphold ethic. And totally , for a very, very large part, betrays its completely and utterly.Show me an honest policeman here( they do exist, thank God, most lady's it seems) and I will show you a local who knows the full true history of his country- and religion..Or something whose is following their chosen way of life

and in this case, something which causes a lot less harm.

Not everyone admits.

Have you looked at Thai "law".I did not when I was accused of something, and in this case, i must say, the police dealing with it, by Thai standards very decent and fair.It only cost apx 20'000, but I had to buy some whiskey!

Put em in jail and throw away the key. I don't care where they are on the planet, dirt bags like this need to never see the light of day again!

a few words for you( by the way- you are in a form of prison yourself ,sorry to have to tell you this( it does some of coures))

1- you pay the bill

2- you make the crooks richer-and angrier, one man told me how upon his release he arranged the murder/death of an innocent person of country that jailed him( by a clever means one can find on the net)

what makes this bad is that the "offence" was procession of very small amount of LSD

he claims he was beaten, lost his wife, and was filled with hate,i actually took some time out to look into this.He told me he no longer has this hate because of what he did.

3- prison does, not, in so many cases, not all,s work and cause the opposite effect

4- prisons are schools of crime

next

" distrust all those to whom the impulse to punish is powerful"

"the worst deeds like poison weeds

Bloom well in prison air

It is only that what is good in man

That wastes and withers there"

oscar wilde

Actually, most don't, and before you have a go at me too, I am a former law enforcement officer. Sorry, but you are wrong, most criminals unless caught red handed will not admit anything.

100%, admit it,???? Did i read that right?

you have got to admit you are totally and utterly wrong, where on earth did you get such bull from?

I have a relative who is lawyer, and another two who are in European police force

i once grabbed a man caught on camera, loads of witnesses,included a member of the UK Flying squad- he denied

the only time they admit is when they understand that they simply have no way out of it- and seek a lesser sentence

it worry's me when i hear such nonsense,

and this is the biggest crock i have seen for a long time, and thats saying something on TV where so mnay seem to live and enjoy living in pure denial,ignorance, negativity,and you even claim to be qualified- God help us and our boys out there on the streets for us- and you say the word ignorant,

two thugs, very simealr to above- denied

It looks like a small box and is usually placed just above the key pad on ATM.

Reason enough to always cover your fingers when doing keypad entry, regardless whether or not people are looking over your shoulder.

The lazy banks could fix this easily by switching to a more complicated method of authentication. Most banks have dual authentication mechanisms for online banking, yet for physical ATM banking there is still only the ancient 40 year old 4-digit PIN.

The only way around it is to limit the amount of money you keep in the account from which you will take ATM money, and keep the rest of the money in another account which can be transferred online. Same goes for online purchases. Have one account with a limited daily purchase limit and use for only for online transactions.

If the banks are too lazy to prevent these brute force fraud schemes, then it is incumbent upon the individual to do so.

This must be the first time the tourist police arrest someone.

Where are the suspects held ?

In the big tiger or on the hilton?

Like Cartman in SouthPark "Show me your autoratta". :):D :D :D

PS.

to post no2 (rkidlad)

A foreigner is a person who is from a country that is not the country he or she is currently in. When a person goes to another country, they are a foreigner in that country. Such people are also often said to live abroad.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreigner :D

But you are excused maybe English is a foreign language for you. :D

DS.

I wish Thailand would institute CANING as a punishment. This would really deter crime. Look at Singapore... virtually no crime... lots of caning. I'm sick of people getting off on technicalities, because they have money or because the penalty is too light. Cane all these bastards and let's see if they do it again here in Thailand.

A foreigner is a person who is from a country that is not the country he or she is currently in. When a person goes to another country, they are a foreigner in that country. Such people are also often said to live abroad.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreigner :)

That is a typical simplistic view.

The Thai language is very much more specific.

Farang is used for all caucasian people, Europe, America and Australia.

All the Asian countries are foreigners with specific words for where they come from,

e.g. Gouwli - Korean, etc

Let’s be honest any police force that can stop you when driving and det

ermine you were speeding without any equipment is good. I was stopped, told I was speeding, 69 mph, yes, 69 mph, when asked how he got this figure. He actually got stroppy and said to me; “I police, you go too fast……..500bt” got it down to 150bt. Just another day!

69 miles per hour? Are you sure it was a Thai policeman? If he meant 69 kph you were barely moving.

Thai police today caught a group of overseas visitors in a credit car scam

Police say they where caught red handed trying to get money from ATMs during a practice run, and they confiscated to 100 baht per person they had already taken from the machines

I don't believe it

You took my joke post as serious

Read it again and this time read between the lines

Police claim to get 100 baht per offence

Bank records show 50,000 baht

Police say must be ATM error, as he jumps into his new Mercedes

repair there faulty machines as soon as possible, so to avoid a long drawn out costly accounting check up

What is this site coming to, has every one lost there sense of humour

Will now sit down and wait for all the flamers

why is it that there has to be always someone like u who just likes to make "ignorant comments" in this forum - or just wanting to stir the pot first thing on a sunday morning as u have nothing better to contribute - suggest u get outside and take you dog or wife for a walk in the fresh air - might clear your mind - like to know why your expertise are - maybe an undercover agent for Interpol - and knows everything - about nothing