Thai Protesters Brace For Crackdown As Compromise Rejected

webfact

I visited Ratchaprasong last night. The turn out of Reds is huge, and is increasing markedly by the day. Any discussion of the army attacking it appears to be absolute propaganda, and propaganda that is backfiring as it appears to be drawing more Reds to the battle zone. A Red crowd this massive hasnt been seen since the opening day of the protest weeks back.

It is not the Reds who need to fear the goverment. They understand that if the Army attacks them, the risk is that the soldiers will turn on their own officers. Its hard to believe that the Reds wont continue to move the boundries of of their encampment further out along Sukhumvit. It already runs from MBK to Ploenchit. How long before they own Asoke?

With Red numbers like this, it is the ancien regime who must be quaking in their boots. Any one at Ratchaprasong last night might be forgiven from wondering is this isnt fast turning from a protest into a revolution.

I agree, with lots of alcohol and probably other substances people start cross-looking getting double visions or even more. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited Ratchaprasong last night. The turn out of Reds is huge, and is increasing markedly by the day. Any discussion of the army attacking it appears to be absolute propaganda, and propaganda that is backfiring as it appears to be drawing more Reds to the battle zone. A Red crowd this massive hasnt been seen since the opening day of the protest weeks back.

It is not the Reds who need to fear the goverment. They understand that if the Army attacks them, the risk is that the soldiers will turn on their own officers. Its hard to believe that the Reds wont continue to move the boundries of of their encampment further out along Sukhumvit. It already runs from MBK to Ploenchit. How long before they own Asoke?

With Red numbers like this, it is the ancien regime who must be quaking in their boots. Any one at Ratchaprasong last night might be forgiven from wondering is this isnt fast turning from a protest into a revolution.

all BS

A disappointing but unsurprising response from the biggest stubborn mule PM the world has ever seen.

It is kind of hard to negotiate with terrorists. Not a good precedent really.

Yes. Forget negotiating with the redshirts.. by the way, what is the sense of urgency to dissolve Parliament in 3 months instead of 6? Are they afraid of Thaksin dying of cancer? Thaksin must be on his death bed.

Anyone can explain why the red shirts can't negotiate six months and are demanding 3? I mean, they have been protesting and have already wasted one month!

The Reds undoubtedly have a point about Abhisit never having faced the Thai people as PM in an election.David Cameron has proposed that any British PM who has not received such a national mandate must call an election within six months.Where I differ from the Reds is that I think Abhisit's offer of elections by year end was quite reasonable.I also agree that mobs should not be able to twist the arm of legitimate governments in this way, and Abhisit's government is certainly legitimate.But in response to all these little lectures on this forum about democratic form, it's important to remember that the Reds do have a very strong case which is valid even if one discounts altogether the appalling record of the elite sponsoring coups, court decisions,military interference and a rigged constitution.

jayboy often shows how it's possible to be sympathetic to the reds and yet still be fair-minded and reasoned. The above post is no exception. If only the reds took an intelligent approach like this, just think how far they could get.

...this is worth seconding . :)

This whole red shirt protest experience has become a total farce and a waste of time. There are so many greedy incompetent people involved, it will take years to unwind all the BS being thrown around. Meanwhile, life goes on.... listening to the reds and the government make hollow excuses is like Internet dating.... A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!

A disappointing but unsurprising response from the biggest stubborn mule PM the world has ever seen.

It is kind of hard to negotiate with terrorists. Not a good precedent really.

Yes. Forget negotiating with the redshirts.. by the way, what is the sense of urgency to dissolve Parliament in 3 months instead of 6? Are they afraid of Thaksin dying of cancer? Thaksin must be on his death bed.

Anyone can explain why the red shirts can't negotiate six months and are demanding 3? I mean, they have been protesting and have already wasted one month!

Thaksin needs to have his supporters within the army in place before the re-shuffle to avoid a coup after he returns

Edited by BKjohn

With all the hoopla, calls to rally, free rides and money handouts the red army is only able to get a few thousand people to continue take part in their illegal actions. Surely there is a great deal more people who would like to see more opportunity for the poor to excel in Thailand but it is clear the reds days are numbered and that they are not the kind of people Thai folks, even those sympathetic to the cause, want to be associated.

Interesting too is even at their highest numbers they didn't even surpass the numbers attending a large sporting event or concert.

Edited by jcbangkok

With all the hoopla, calls to rally, free rides and money handouts the red army is only able to get a few thousand people to continue take part in their illegal actions. Surely there is a great deal more people who would like to see more opportunity for the poor to excel in Thailand but it is clear the reds days are numbered and that they are not the kind of people Thai folks, even those sympathetic to the cause, want to be associated.

Yes, but dude.... the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

all BS

Oh great. "all BS", you say. BRILLIANT. Simply BRILLIANT. I was going along with everything in the above arguement until I read your STUNNINGLY bright counterarguement. Thank you for clearing everything up for me. Please just post "all BS" again any time you see a report that is false so that I can know what to believe.

Thanks again,

FreedomDude

Yes, but dude.... the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

the red terrorists are anything but squeaky

all BS

Oh great. "all BS", you say. BRILLIANT. Simply BRILLIANT. I was going along with everything in the above arguement until I read your STUNNINGLY bright counterarguement. Thank you for clearing everything up for me. Please just post "all BS" again any time you see a report that is false so that I can know what to believe.

Thanks again,

FreedomDude

LMAO ... you might try using it too since that is all you have appeared to say in reference to my using it.

some people in this blog are in deep denial about the depth of feeling among the Red masses. and they are fooling themselves about the relative power of the government, which is in freefall.

we are not witnessing a protest any longer. its a revolution.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, have the "red shirts" not taken their red shirts off so that they can not be so easily identified when they commit their terrorist acts like launching M79 grenades at innocent civilians heading home ?

This would be an obvious move to be able to blame the government or the other groups to have launched grenades at themselves or petrol bombs or RPG's - well they tried to do so before but the red shirts were a dead giveaway

some people in this blog are in deep denial about the depth of feeling among the Red masses. and they are fooling themselves about the relative power of the government, which is in freefall.

I'm not saying you are wrong but what are your qualifications and references for such a sweeping statement please?

Actually, what most people are seeing is a small and very violent insurrection with the stated goal of returning a convicted criminal to power.

Looking at the adverts showing real-estate its sort of wild, offering low prices I wonder if they had any idea how low those prices will be very soon

good luck to those who booked uncompleted units . looks like they will never be completed now.

dumping may be the way to go now, i.e. quit while you are ahead or cut-losses now.

tomorrow may be too late if all flights out of bangkok are cancelled for one reason or another.

it has happened before and may happen again.

watch for the bahts diving down in a tailspin like a kamikaze plane in pearl harbour. :)

I think you're right about the depth of feeling among the Reds (both the minority at the actual protest and the majority at home in the provinces).

The PM actually made at least one correct statement when he said the problem is much bigger than Ratchaprasong.

These guys used to be considered terrorists.

georgewashington.jpg

nelson_mandela4.jpg

And this guy isn't considered a terrorist today. (The one on the right)

Julia%20Allison%20and%20Henry%20Kissinger-thumb.jpg

Just sayin'

how appropriate...a picture says a thousand words.

sad that the george bush gang is not included,though :) .

Edited by sealy

I'm not saying you are wrong but what are your qualifications and references for such a sweeping statement please?

wait until the other mob is joining. Then comes the big eraser

I think you're right about the depth of feeling among the Reds (both the minority at the actual protest and the majority at home in the provinces).

The PM actually made at least one correct statement when he said the problem is much bigger than Ratchaprasong.

Recent reports out of KKU have shown that even in "Red" provinces like Kohn Kaen that there is a split of about 50% of people against the dissolution of the house. So, with numbers dropping that steadily, in support of Thaksin's crowd ..... It shows the red's support even at home failing rapidly!

I think Abhisit is handling himself well. He's got more patience than I. In nearly any other country, the leader would have called for tougher measures sooner to sweep out the threatening mob. However in this scenario, if Thais see Thai blood on the sidewalk, many will begin crying and blaming whoever's involved - without thinking deeper about why the blood was spilled.

It's like a person (Bkk) who has a bad internal infection (Reds occupation) and needs surgery. The head of the hospital (PM) and doctors (security forces) decide to operate (crowd dispersal) in order to save the patient. However, as soon as observers (Red sympathizers and others) see some blood, they flip out and accuse the head doctor and surgeons of being butchers.

Why do red supporters always blame the "elite" for holding down the poor?

How about the reds look in their own backyards at the rich pooyais, and the rich local businessmen, that continually rip off the farmers.

These are the people that made the most money from Thaksin with his million baht per village cash handouts and the easy credit provide to the poor.

They are the ones that don't want the poor educated. They are the ones that stop the governments policies from working in their areas. They are the ones with the most to lose. And they are the ones that are fighting the hardest to get Thaksin back here so they can continue on their merry ways ripping off the poor.

Good observation melbpete. So true. Gives new meaning to the Russian expression, "can't see the forest for the trees."

Edited by brahmburgers

go take a look at what is actually happening, rather than base your views on a controlled press.

the number of Reds is huge, compared to the numbers at previous rallies, and rising. their energy and organization is no match for their opponents.

* Bangkok Post article deleted *

I think the forum rules preclude us from quoting and linking Bangkok Post articles. I don't care for the policy myself, but I comply with it.

I understood that it was not TV 'policy' but the Bangkok Post who do not allow quotes/links.

Am I wrong ?

earthpig - first I would like to congratulate you on the fitting name choice - secondly it is quite obvious where you come from.

A revolution is carried out by people, usually by educated people such as students for a higher cause such as freedom or by people who want to change the political system. However, a few thousand, even a hundred thousand thugs make no revolution .. well may be on an Island in the Maldives, but not in a country with 61 Million people

Considering that Thailand is a free country and the only reason those thugs are here, trying to topple the legal government is money and the return of their master to call this a revolution would be a affront to any real revolution carried out in history. You are a lot of little thugs and criminals - nothing else