Lest We Forget

egg

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Kia Kaha to those in Bangkok...may there be peace settled.

Quote from brother's email yesterday:

"Reg Louden, who lived across the street from Mom in President Street Kalgoorlie and was in the 2/28th with Dad is the guest of honour at tomorrows ANZAC Day in Bunbury. Reg is 96 and I called in to see him yesterday at his shop – yep still working at 96."

That's a digger...bless 'em all.

"Those heroes that shed their blood

and lost their lives;

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies

and the Mehemets to us where they lie side by side

here in this country of ours.

You, the mothers,

who sent their sons from far away countries,

wipe away your tears;

your sons are now lying in our bosom

and are at peace.

After having lost their lives on this land they have

become our sons as well."

Lest we forget.

Should we remember also the brave men who killed our fathers and gradfathers?The Luftwaffe who blitzed London, and killed Jews and gays for their vaderland?The loyal Japanese who bobed Pearl Harbor?Why not?

Brave men were slaughtered on all sides in most conflicts and November 11th, Remembrance Day is set aside to remember them.

Today is ANZAC Day, a day to specifically remember the sacrifice made by members of the Australian and New Zealand armed forces.

I'm sure the German and Japanese remember their own fallen in their own way too.

That's nice and all but probably less than 5% of this forum are made up of aussie or new zealand members. Last time I read this forum it wasn't Aussievisa.com but _thai_ visa.

Yeah but its a big day for many of them, and some of them are in Thailand, so what's the hurt?

That's nice and all but probably less than 5% of this forum are made up of aussie or new zealand members. Last time I read this forum it wasn't Aussievisa.com but _thai_ visa.

Well there are a great many buried in the War Cemetery at Kanchanaburi where there was a very moving ceremony this morning.

Also some Aussie guys do great work at the Death Railway Museum also in Kanchanaburi and at Hellfire Pass where there is also a fantastic museum remembering the events surrounding the construction of the railway.

let me remind everyone this a thread dedicated to show respect and rememberance. You are not obliged to contribute to the thread, but I personally will not tolerate any comments showing any disrespect. Please keep that in mind.

Lest we forget

"Each year on 25 April, ANZAC Day in Thailand is commemorated by conducting a Dawn Service and Gunfire Breakfast at Hellfire Pass, Sai Yok and a Memorial Service and Wreath Laying Ceremony at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.

This year the timings for the Memorial Service and Wreath Laying Ceremony at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery have changed from 11am to 10am. The service is being conducted one hour earlier due to the hot weather at this time of the year."

Thailand Embassy

Tourism Authority of Thailand

The unknown soldier

I crouched in a shallow trench on that hel_l of exposed beaches... steeply rising foothills bare of cover... a landscape pockmarked with war’s inevitable litter... piles of stores... equipment... ammunition... and the weird contortions of death sculptured in Australian flesh... I saw the going down of the sun on that first ANZAC Day... the chaotic maelstrom of Australia’s blooding.

I fought in the frozen mud of the Somme... in a blazing destroyer exploding on the North Sea... I fought on the perimeter at Tobruk... crashed in the flaming wreckage of a fighter in New Guinea... lived with the damned in the place cursed with the name Changi.

I was your mate... the kid across the street... the med student at graduation... the mechanic in the corner garage... the baker who brought you bread... the gardener who cut your lawn... the clerk who sent your phone bill.

I was an Army private... a Naval commander... an Air Force bombardier. No man knows me... no name marks my tomb, for I am every Australian serviceman... I am the Unknown Soldier.

I died for a cause I held just in the service of my land... that you and yours may say in freedom... I am proud to be an Australian.

borrowed from diggerhistory

A word of thanks to the Australians and New Zealanders that were part of the Commonwealth air crews that kept the North Atlantic open during the bleakest days of WWII. The RAAF at various times of the war provided 10-15% of airforce manpower for the UK. I suppose the Asian and African activities are is more known, but they were present on D-Day and paid in blood.

Edited by geriatrickid

Should we remember also the brave men who killed our fathers and gradfathers?The Luftwaffe who blitzed London, and killed Jews and gays for their vaderland?The loyal Japanese who bobed Pearl Harbor?Why not?

The majority of the Japanese Imperial Army and the Wehrmacht derserve respect and yes we should remember them, but not today.