I Bought A New Tiger Boxer 250rs

CMX

Notice: Reasons to read this whimsical saga (means long) might be 1) heavy rain prevents riding, 2) to find a few facts about researching the Tiger Boxer 250RS, 3) or curiosity – what sort of biker, not to say fool, would purchase the Boxer these days?

PART I, BACKGROUND

I bought a new Tiger Boxer 250RS. Given new models available in 2010 and second-hand bikes such as the CBR150, this might be thought by most of us to be a wrongheaded decision. We might even accuse me of being deranged.

For one thing, it was not easy to view, test, and evaluate a Tiger. Not for me, as I have yet to begin learning the Thai language and few people (some, to be sure) associated with that company speak fluent English. Also, I live in Chiang Mai. The two Tiger-listed outlets have not shown the Boxer 250 to even see, let alone ride, at least whenever I stopped or looked in (nor am I alone in this observation). This certainly gives the impression that Tiger has many irons in the fire. I even missed seeing it while visiting in Bangkok.

That is, I made a last minute appointment to see the English speaking whoispariya, whose name is mentioned so favorably by Boxer 250 fanatics and enthusiasts on these pages, but when I arrived, the employees there at the modest showroom (and large shop) informed me that Khun Pariya would not be there that day. I was particularly disappointed because his e-mail address - @yahoo.co.uk - indicated fluency indeed. He did in fact arrive at the appointed hour (no small effort, if he was coming from the factory side of the city), but I had by then reluctantly left, five minutes earlier. Anyway, I had known that the showroom Boxer 250RS was on tour that day, so I only missed an informational interview.

It turned out that I might have done most of the inquiries by e-mail. Khun Pariya immediately messaged an apology and explained that there had been a mistake by staff and that he was ready to help in any way. Communications that followed filled in my knowledge: There IS a useful English language manual (and I received it as a .pdf file – anyone can download it too, I found out later); he listed options regarding the top box carrier and the top box itself (with pictures and prices – 900 baht each), he explained a tire alternative, their latest windscreen @ 940 baht (also pictured in his communications), plus a spec sheet. <I should mention that Tiger/Sachs advertisements had not then appeared on Thai Visa.> Of course, while such information was very useful to my search, it was not completely satisfying.

So I read what was available on the Internet, including ThVi entries, many of them very strong opinions, this way and that; there’s one very long thread. I admit that I was impressed by a sentence from the Boxer Motorcycle Club entry, “For a 250cc class motorcycle the performance won't set anyone's hair on fire, or break any records but it's more than enough for those looking for modest, reliable motorcycle that can still cruise at highway speeds of 120km/h.” I liked the plain talk, and the last thing my remaining hairs need is fire.

Elsewhere, however, I found the claim that this Boxer is good for chaotic city traffic, which is clearly true if you are a BIB, but it’s not perfect for me, because I prefer an auto xmission on a narrow lightweight motorbike, winding through the narrow slalom course of stopped cars, eyes focused in four directions. I’m too slow-witted to fuss with gears or size.

I guess that for leisurely touring I just wanted to buy Thai, an odd form of chauvinism, rather than to continue supporting Japanese corporations. I was not convinced to buy by glowing reports written by the few advocates of the Boxer any more than many crowing claims for the CBR150, which I regard from my own rides to be a superb wee little sportycycle, and a bargain all around – including resale. But an urgent factor was seating; I am not quite as agile as small-gauge “sports-bike” guys any longer. I just figured that the Boxer 250RS is a relatively simple and relatively sturdy machine, good enough for years of comfortable sight-seeing tours of the countryside and mountains, some essential features outdated, perhaps, but reliable - just like me, as I like to imagine, and cheap, for a motorcycle.

I read however about concerns about Tiger’s staying power as a company. I concluded that even if my new Boxer 250RS is not a sustainable success, the company almost certainly will be. I could be wrong, but anyone able to sell a product to government to such a degree will be around for a while. Meanwhile, I’d avail myself of the superb support that was being reported.

I took solace too in the knowledge that while the Boxer does not come with a fraction of the modern features of a similarly priced PCX, and it is not produced by a global behemoth, the Boxer’s workings will be familiar to "mechanics" throughout SE Asia. I probably have fixed more things by trial and error than any way else (a fault, I agree), but I do not distain the potential.

And then, having had an idea (testing my math to the limit), I worked some numbers. If I were to multiply the true cc’s of the engine by its compression and divide that figure by the purchase price, it would give an idea of something I wanted to believe - that the Boxer provided more power-cubes (whatever they are) per baht than competitors in the range. I added a percent for its ability to drink E20 or at least “green” 91. I ignored, as many of us do, compromises involved and went with what appealed to me now and was ready – having paid for the thing – to praise it to the skies! It did not matter that minuses always seem insignificant in early days, like any young love, and so I forgot depreciation, my own extremist’s craze for fuel efficiency - and I thought of the fun. I ordered. In six weeks, I should be able to report if some of my expectations were correct, based on a little personal experience. ( Find out if I’m completely nuts.)

Edited by CMX

Hi CMX,

Thanks for the interesting writeup and for ordering the Tiger Boxer 250RS i would like to add that CMX's Boxer was ordered at Tiger/Sachs Club's online shop located here: http://www.tigersachsclub.com/tigersachsshop.html . Thank you for ordering it through the online shop.

While you have concerns over touring capabilities outlined and being good in citytraffic it is in fact both. Thats why it is often named as "allrounder Bike. It is doing very well in many situations. If you do wish to do slaloms in town or not really depends on your style of riding , but you could if you wish to . And the same applies for touring.

You are right there is a solid reliable bike (boxer 250Rs) for you being currently built and look forward to read how you like it...i never read of an Tiger Boxer 250RS owner that was not satisfied. Not that there are a lot, but they still have very happy faces. The negative posts you may have read here are often hearsay or simply made up( some even think that Tiger is a chinese company- but the Tiger Factory tour last month proved different )...we all looking forward to your report in a couple of weeks.

The staying power of Tiger Motors is solid ..seeing that on this premises first Thai Kawasaki produced the GTO (and other bikes) and since 1997 they work as the brand name tiger which had it's difficult days too. But they wouldn't have survived it if they where not supposed to be . This also explains why you don't find a Tiger Dealer on every other corner, they are cautious i'd say...granted a bit more would be nice.

Btw. the Boxer runs great on E20 so you can save a bit on the fuelmoney too.

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hi CMX,

First congratulated with your purchase, you will not be disappointed. I find it very satisfying to see that some of my writing made you decide to buy a Tiger Boxer 250 RS. The Tiger is a good example of value for money.

Which color did you buy?

Hi Richard,

CMX took the blue one which i must say the more often i see it the more i really like it.

Not only CMX bought his Boxer influenced with the writeup you made ...it was also giving me the info i needed(also because of charlie's /kano85 post). A Police Boxer was easily borrowed to understand the feel of a Boxer and this is really my best recommendation to anyone who want to try a Boxer but the dealer around simply don't have it .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Clearly I've given the wrong impressions somewhere, sorry. Just to set the Facts straight:

I took the blue because it is not Red and it is not Yellow in these colorful daze. Yellow did appeal as a color, not because I wanted to get attention in Chiang Mai, but because I'm a strong advocate of see and BE SEEN. But as a guest in Thailand, I didn't want to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities. White looked like having to wash it a lot (or rather, having to have it washed a lot). I would have preferred Ninja, racing, or Irish green, but am cheap and did not even ask if it was available. Also, I didn't know which color would resist chipping, the sun's rays, or rust the best, MY only concerns. Purpish-olive, with air-brushed orange would have been fine, however repulsive, if it was cheap and durable.

I did NOT try a Boxer 200 because every time I grabbed the bike of a BIB (to me, BIB bikes look funny with those engine guards), the fellow would seem startled and then say something I couldn't understand. Several hundred baht later, I decided that I really have to get into school for the Thai language. Fellows would look at me with strange faces, and some shouted, and here's me trying to attain inner mellow. Nope.

Thanks to well-wishers,

I did NOT try a Boxer 200 because every time I grabbed the bike of a BIB (to me, BIB bikes look funny with those engine guards), the fellow would seem startled and then say something I couldn't understand. Several hundred baht later, I decided that I really have to get into school for the Thai language. Fellows would look at me with strange faces, and some shouted,

I'm having a laugh here just thinking about you nabbing a Coppers bike and riding off. that would be priceless to see. Have fun with ya bike when it comes. It's good around town because it has usable midrange power. I found i did less gear changing on the Tiger than with my Cbr150. have fun