I Woke Up In Icu This Morning!

thaigerd

Around 5am I woke up in the ICU section at the Phuket International Hospital, the last thing I remember was a very long and horrible nightmare that night.....................

What happened:

I am diabetic and always control my bloodlevel(3-4 times a day).

We had dinner at around 5.30 pm and after I took my wife to a nice pub where I've had 2 small bottles of Heineken, one hour later we went home.

I checked my mails and had a small can Heineken again, than went to sleep............................................

At around 2am my wife saw me heavy breathing, shaking and sweating like a pig. She tried to wake me up but no success.

So she called the ambulance, they came 30 minutes later and drove me to the hospital. Some little problems at my house cause my Rotties did not like strangers who carry their master away, luckily my wife could manage this situation.

I realized this a few times before: When I drink beer my sugar level falls down!

The doctor this morning explained to me that some people(diabetic ones) react differently.

So I fell in a coma during sleep due to a very very low sugar level!

When I would have been in a hotel and alone I would be dead now I guess.

From now on a very strict diet and no more alcohol.

Gerd

Glad to hear it turned out well but it must have been terrifying for your wife, sounds like she kept her calm and got it taken care of (dogs included!) but how awful. Take care of yourself Gerd. :)

Had this happen to a friend here the exact same scenario!

be careful with your alcohol intake and also them German sausages :)

A warning is better than no warning,i think your wife deserves a special treat??

Take it easy and watch your diet.

You can drink the suger-free pilsner variety i think but not a lot of it!

Mars bars also come in handy but you probably know this.

Have a good check up and a quick recovery.

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Thanks for sharing this!

Perhaps a full re-assessment of your diabetes would be in order after this.

A good lesson in management of diabetes; it can be very unpredictable. Be sure to have emergency supplies at home to counter any hypoglycaemic episode and also keep the family informed on how to manage in case this happens. Also keep those emergency phone numbers at hand.

You better half saved your life; as you fully realise, this could have had a much worse outcome..

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear that Gerd but mostly I'm happy to hear that you're OK, stay that way!

BTW, I'd love to have seen the look on the ambulance guys faces when they saw the dogs!

Edited by chiang mai

Thanks for sharing this!

Perhaps a full re-assessment of your diabetes would be in order after this.

A good lesson in management of diabetes; it can be very unpredictable. Be sure to have emergency supplies at home to counter any hypoglycaemic episode and also keep the family informed on how to manage in case this happens. Also keep those emergency phone numbers at hand.

You better half saved your life; as you fully realise, this could have had a much worse outcome..

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks for your friendly advise!

May be I took it a little bit too easy in the past because my results have been always very good....

Gerd

Sorry to hear that Gerd but mostly I'm happy to hear that you're OK, stay that way!

BTW, I'd love to have seen the look on the ambulance guys faces when they saw the dogs!

They could have dropped me and drove off...............but without me :)

Gerd

a very scary situation. Thank god you are on the road to recovery & have a wife who understands your medical situation so well.

Wishing you the quickest recovery. :D

Thanks Boo,

just woke up cause of that "funny feeling" even when I am asleep: My sugar level far too low :)

Sitting now here eating and drinking to get a normal level again....wish me luck.

Gerd

I've had 2 small bottles of Heineken,

That's the problem Gerd,lager, you need to stick to single malt, although it dosn't prevent the coma issue.

On a serious note, a hearty well done to Sunee and a pat on the head for the Rotties, they were just doing their job.

Glad all turned out well

Moss

My uncle has the same problem but loves his beer so quite often has low sugar levels.

My aunt always keeps a bottle of emergency glucose at the side of the bed for such emergencies, if there is none to hand I have seen her force feeding him strawberry jam.

Not a very good way of managing diabetes but he has been doing it for over 20 years, old dogs and new tricks come to mind. :)

I've had 2 small bottles of Heineken,

That's the problem Gerd,lager, you need to stick to single malt, although it dosn't prevent the coma issue.

On a serious note, a hearty well done to Sunee and a pat on the head for the Rotties, they were just doing their job.

Glad all turned out well

Moss

Thanks Moss!

Still feeling a bit weak but life has to go on.

You are right, my wife Sunee did a great job. Holding back the dogs was not that easy: She is around 40kg, the dogs are 60kg each......

Gerd

My uncle has the same problem but loves his beer so quite often has low sugar levels.

My aunt always keeps a bottle of emergency glucose at the side of the bed for such emergencies, if there is none to hand I have seen her force feeding him strawberry jam.

Not a very good way of managing diabetes but he has been doing it for over 20 years, old dogs and new tricks come to mind. :)

Scully,

from now on beer is a no-no for me, sure!

I like to wake up in my own bed at home :D

Gerd

Gerd, very glad to hear that you are OK, but I cannot understand this part:
From now on a very strict diet and no more alcohol

Are you sure?? :)

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes.........a bit :D

But I have to take care of my body a bit more than I did in the past.

Call me when you're in Phuket again please.

Gerd

Jeez Gerd... scary sh*t! A sobering experience in many ways, huh?

Kudos to the ambulance crew who had to deal with Max and Lady, and especially to Sunee!

Tip for you- a diabetic that I know says that screwdrivers are the answer- vodka and orange juice has everything you need!

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet quickly- take it slow and easy.

Mr and Ms Bino

Edited by bino

Jeez Gerd... scary sh*t! A sobering experience in many ways, huh?

Kudos to the ambulance crew who had to deal with Max and Lady, and especially to Sunee!

Tip for you- a diabetic that I know says that screwdrivers are the answer- vodka and orange juice has everything you need!

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet quickly- take it slow and easy.

Mr and Ms Bino

Hi Mr. Bino,

Thanks for your screwdriver advise :) , will check it out in a couple of days....give me some time!

Regards to Ms. Bino please!

Gerd