Thailand's 'Yellow Shirts' Call For Martial Law

webfact

As usual the red leaders are denying that they ordered the sabotage of the skytrain. Who would have guessed, after all they deny everything their group does. If you really don't have any control over what happens at your protest site then maybe it's time to end it. Or maybe the government should be negotiating with the group that did order the sabotage, if they are the ones who are really in control.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed by the reasoning of some posters here that an army "crackdown" will solution the matter.

Unnecessary to say that these posts are all written by the PAD supporters, named the "keyboard hero's".

Everyone who has been following this evolution, knows that this in not only for Thaksin anymore but because of the dual standards.

A crackdown or dispersing the RED's will only turn the RED's to underground geurillera actions NATIONWIDE.

And they have showed already that they have the necessary manpower to do that.

I suppose that I don't need to explain the "keyboard hero's"what that would mean for Thailand.

Just look at the guerillera actions in the Muslim South and what Abhisit has managed untill now.

A few of these guerillera actions in Pattaya and in the tourist areas from Bangkok, killing a few tourists who are anyway dispensable, would leave Thailand without tourists in now time.

Imagine the economic damadge that would be to Thailand.

The RED's want to give Thaksin a last favour by allowing him to comeback and die in his motherland.

If Thaksin doesn't die in his motherland, he will me portretted by the folks in Issaan forever as a martyr of the yellows.

All Abhisit and his croonies are doing now is just creating more fuel for the RED's actions by creating every day new martyrs.

Why are you talking absolute rubbish

Who is saying Taskin can not come and die in Thailand

I have never seen any member of the Government make this statement

Infact he is welcome back

The Government will give him a big welcome back at the airport

and even give him free room and board for the next 2 years

I'm amazed by the reasoning of some posters here that an army "crackdown" will solution the matter.

Unnecessary to say that these posts are all written by the PAD supporters, named the "keyboard hero's".

Everyone who has been following this evolution, knows that this in not only for Thaksin anymore but because of the dual standards.

A crackdown or dispersing the RED's will only turn the RED's to underground geurillera actions NATIONWIDE.

I suppose that I don't need to explain the "keyboard hero's"what that would mean for Thailand.

Just look at the guerillera actions in the Muslim South and what Abhisit has managed untill now.

A few of these guerillera actions in Pattaya and in the tourist areas from Bangkok, killing a few tourists who are anyway dispensable, would leave Thailand without tourists in now time.

The RED's want to give Thaksin a last favour by allowing him to comeback and die in his motherland.

If Thaksin doesn't die in his motherland, he will me portretted by the folks in Issaan forever as a martyr of the yellows.

All Abhisit and his croonies are doing now is just creating more fuel for the RED's actions by creating every day new martyrs.

If this government would meet him at the airport and give him a high five on their way to exile, the majority would be happy. If Abhisit stays, Thailand continues downhill.

They started this impasse with their airport invassion. I just hope all of them put Thailand interest first instead of their personal interest. One of the charm of Thailand is that is one of the most peaceful country and she seems to losing it because of this problem

If this government would meet him at the airport and give him a high five on their way to exile, the majority would be happy. If Abhisit stays, Thailand continues downhill.

My Thai Issan wife would love to meet Taskin at the airport

My Thai Issan wife would love to give him a high 5

Right where the sun never shines

The reds come from Issan

Issan's are not all reds

Issan people are hurting not because of the Government

But because the red shirts are harming there day to day living and income

As usual the red leaders are denying that they ordered the sabotage of the skytrain. Who would have guessed, after all they deny everything their group does. If you really don't have any control over what happens at your protest site then maybe it's time to end it. Or maybe the government should be negotiating with the group that did order the sabotage, if they are the ones who are really in control.

For weeks now I have been hearing

The PM can not control the people so should resign

Now I hear that please do not blame us

We can not control these people

Do you understand the word HYPOCRITE

My Thai Issan wife would love to meet Taskin at the airport

My Thai Issan wife would love to give him a high 5

Right where the sun never shines

The reds come from Issan

Issan's are not all reds

Issan people are hurting not because of the Government

But because the red shirts are harming there day to day living and income

I don't know where you have meet your "Issaan wife", but I travel a lot in Thailand and all I hear from the people in Issaan and the North is that they LOVE Thaksin more than .....

Thaksin is the ONLY ONE who listened ever to their griefs and DID something for them, according to them.

It is not a point weither their belief is based on the truth or not but ratcher what is going in their hearts and minds.

Your English babyface has done nothing for them in 2 years and made their life even worse.

It is not a point weither their belief is based on the truth or not but ratcher what is going in their hearts and minds.

Your English babyface has done nothing for them in 2 years and made their life even worse.

/sarcasm on

Yeah because I suppose forgiving the farmers debts didnt help them much and now that they dont have to pay for it they even have to go to school now until 18 years old, terrible...

/sarcasm off

It's nice that the PM wants to host a cabinet meeting this morning. However the government is on the verge of becoming completely worthless. The army and police are unwilling to enforce existing laws for the protection of the general population. They stand idly by while acts of terrorism, sabotage, violence and intimidation go unchecked. Today we see that we are close to a breakdown in public transportation. Law and order are gone, next is the freedom of law abiding citizens to move about their communities. They are unable to go to their places of business, their schools and hospitals. The suspension of the skytrain and mobs of protesters setting up roadblocks on public highways has taken away the rights of the people of Thailand. If we continue down this road we will see armed militias enforcing their own form of law and order. If the highways are taken from the ordinary people of Thailand you will see further disruptions in travel and commerce. On Sunday an attempt was made to interfere with the broadcast of the PM's message. This could be the beginning of an attempt to severe the lines of communication as well.

With the national infrastructure impaired, communications compromised, and the police abandoning the people where will the country be? With the freedoms of the people taken away there can be no democracy either. Freedom of movement, freedom of the press and freedom of expression without fear of violence and intimidation are necessary for true democracy to exist. When the people lose their freedoms and are oppressed by gangs of thugs the government has failed. It has no power, and no authority and elections are meaningless when the government does not have law and order.

Even if the reds mobilize 100,000 people and the yellows do the same, the true majority of the Thai population want to live in peace and security. They want their children to go to school, they want hospitals and essential services to operate normally. They want to get on trains without the threat of sabotage. They want to travel to work without grenades falling around them. Once a country descends into the madness of anarchy and civil war it can take years or decades to recover. Once warlords and militias take over a country the rest of the people will suffer for generations.

Who has the courage to bring Thailand back from the brink? Will it be the PM? He can restore law and order now and the number of deaths may be high, but much lower than a civil war. Will it be the red leaders? They can end the protests and prepare for elections in six or nine months and make change in a peaceful way. Will it be the yellows? If they emerge with a mob even bigger than the reds they can disperse the reds on their own, but that will not lead to peace.

The majority of Thai people, real Thai people, want peace. They want their country back.

So your saying the red shirts will resort the additional widespread terrorism if there is a crackdown. Nice group of people there.

It's nice that the PM wants to host a cabinet meeting this morning. However the government is on the verge of becoming completely worthless. The army and police are unwilling to enforce existing laws for the protection of the general population. They stand idly by while acts of terrorism, sabotage, violence and intimidation go unchecked. Today we see that we are close to a breakdown in public transportation. Law and order are gone, next is the freedom of law abiding citizens to move about their communities. They are unable to go to their places of business, their schools and hospitals. The suspension of the skytrain and mobs of protesters setting up roadblocks on public highways has taken away the rights of the people of Thailand. If we continue down this road we will see armed militias enforcing their own form of law and order. If the highways are taken from the ordinary people of Thailand you will see further disruptions in travel and commerce. On Sunday an attempt was made to interfere with the broadcast of the PM's message. This could be the beginning of an attempt to severe the lines of communication as well.

With the national infrastructure impaired, communications compromised, and the police abandoning the people where will the country be? With the freedoms of the people taken away there can be no democracy either. Freedom of movement, freedom of the press and freedom of expression without fear of violence and intimidation are necessary for true democracy to exist. When the people lose their freedoms and are oppressed by gangs of thugs the government has failed. It has no power, and no authority and elections are meaningless when the government does not have law and order.

Even if the reds mobilize 100,000 people and the yellows do the same, the true majority of the Thai population want to live in peace and security. They want their children to go to school, they want hospitals and essential services to operate normally. They want to get on trains without the threat of sabotage. They want to travel to work without grenades falling around them. Once a country descends into the madness of anarchy and civil war it can take years or decades to recover. Once warlords and militias take over a country the rest of the people will suffer for generations.

Who has the courage to bring Thailand back from the brink? Will it be the PM? He can restore law and order now and the number of deaths may be high, but much lower than a civil war. Will it be the red leaders? They can end the protests and prepare for elections in six or nine months and make change in a peaceful way. Will it be the yellows? If they emerge with a mob even bigger than the reds they can disperse the reds on their own, but that will not lead to peace.

The majority of Thai people, real Thai people, want peace. They want their country back.

Yes we know... good post (largely) but it's all down to this government has no MANDATE and should announce election swiftly - killing more reds ain't going to help!

Yes we know... good post (largely) but it's all down to this government has no MANDATE and should announce election swiftly - killing more reds ain't going to help!

Killing more reds won't help is true - but how about arresting a few that have and continue to break the law? Anyways, carry on, the actions all over the country yesterday and and this morning will make the populace even more steadfast in not giving in to people who hold the country ransom in the name of .... I forgot what it is you are fighting for?

So the whole "peaceful protester" line was just a facade. The red shi®ts are really a guerrilla organisation prepared to attack the few tourists that they havn't already scared off. There will be expats around to attack, some of whom already report harassment, but that's OK, their death will advance the greater good of their adopted country. They have no right to wish the removal of terrorists from near their homes/workplaces. How many people have been hurt/killed in the last 2 weeks? How could any be described as red martyrs?

Any time Thaksin does Thailand a favour by dieing, I'm sure he will be welcome back.

Exactly my thoughts. Some idiots now forgot already the reds are supposed to be peaceful. And yes, your beloved leader can come back if he promises to die soon. We'll believe him on his word because he never lies.

Killing more reds won't help is true - but how about arresting a few that have and continue to break the law? Anyways, carry on, the actions all over the country yesterday and and this morning will make the populace even more steadfast in not giving in to people who hold the country ransom in the name of .... I forgot what it is you are fighting for?

I would agree IF they had arrested the Yellow leaders of the airport takeover and put them in jail - they did not - so double standards - this is what the people find nauseating.

No more reds have to die, no one does. But law and order has to be restored. An election where voters have to go through red roadblocks to vote would be a farce and have no legitimacy. Reds need to go home and respect the law, that is the only peaceful solution, and the only way new elections can be held. Thailand already has a police force, it is their job to patrol the highways, not the reds. The reds have made their point further protests will only infuriate the rest of the population and alienate any Thais who are committed to either side. Give Thai people peace, only then can you realistically expect to have elections. If the reds really want to use democracy to express themselves they have to go home.

I would agree IF they had arrested the Yellow leaders of the airport takeover and put them in jail - they did not - so double standards - this is what the people find nauseating.

So it's no longer about Democracy then, its about tit-for-tat? First it's Democracy by Ransom now it's Double Standards. Wish you guys would really make up your mind.

No more reds have to die, no one does. But law and order has to be restored. An election where voters have to go through red roadblocks to vote would be a farce and have no legitimacy. Reds need to go home and respect the law, that is the only peaceful solution, and the only way new elections can be held. Thailand already has a police force, it is their job to patrol the highways, not the reds. The reds have made their point further protests will only infuriate the rest of the population and alienate any Thais who are committed to either side. Give Thai people peace, only then can you realistically expect to have elections. If the reds really want to use democracy to express themselves they have to go home.

yes... but... Lazarus... it needs to be FAIR and if the Yellows were cracked down on at the airport gig then fair enough - but the organisers are still walking around freely - even the current Foreign Minister was on the yellow stage at the airport - if you have rule of law it has to be applied evenly.

Great post. I agree. Just one observation: the real thai people want their country back and many of those now don't care anymore how to get it back. If it needs some violence and deaths to get the country back, then so be it but enough is enough and my guess is there will be a crackdown very soon now.

Just changed my mind after reading this excellent piece of comment in the BP from Atiya Achakulwisut

COMMENTARY

Anupong must act

As a measure of the growing despair among ordinary Thai citizens, the question echoing around is not whether the security forces led by army chief Anupong Paojinda will do something about the deteriorating state of lawlessness in Bangkok and beyond before April ends, but whether Gen Anupong will do something before he retires from military service in September, five months from now.

As the threat to law, order and life has become clear and present - no one can be sure anymore if some M79s will not rain down like a freak summer storm while we are travelling - so does the pressure and scorn on Gen Anupong, the man in charge of the security operation. Caught in an impossible dilemma, the man has made the only possible move under the situation, which is to make no move at all.

Well, Gen Anupong’s do-no-evil tactic has earned him both criticism and ridicule from those who would like to see a quick end to the volatile situation. Since there is no way for me to know what Gen Anupong’s motive is for his freezing act, he may only look to save his own soul after all, I can’t say that I support the army commander’s non-action. Still, I believe Gen Anupong is right about one thing: to hold on steadfastly to his position of no crackdown on the protesters no matter how much bad press and lampooning is piled upon him.

Up to this point, I believe we have to come to terms with the reality that the red shirt protest at Ratchaprasong is not an isolated incident that can be quickly outmanoeuvred or easily terminated. What we are witnessing at Ratchaprasong is but a visible manifest of a large, well-connected, passionate network of like-minded people scattered all over the country.

A strike at Ratchaprasong would be like a poke at an anthill. No one will be able to control the ensuing chaos, damage and losses. It will be like a nuclear reaction: uncontainable.

Likewise, a House dissolution will do little to the existing belligerence. If PM Abhisit bows down to the red shirts’ demand, it is likely other groups will be incensed and stand up in protest. Similarly, the non-reds have networks of sympathisers all over the country.

Where will it end? As we arrive at this difficult juncture, I believe we have to admit that we are facing a problem we cannot hope to “solve”, at least not at a single shot. Since the conflict has got so many people engaged, plus a few hard cases of still-unidentified and invisible armed militants at the tail end, it has become the kind of problem we can only “manage”.

With that in mind, every group should thus stop pushing the army chief to “do something”, as in dispersing the crowd at Ratchaprasong. Instead, we should ask the army commander to do his duty of tackling the armed militants who are out there to terrorise people with their indiscriminate bombs and grenades. There is nothing political about that task. It’s all about security and it falls squarely on Gen Anupong’s shoulders. Against this menace, the army chief cannot refuse to act.

Some people argue that the quickest way to tackle the situation would be for PM Abhisit to dissolve the House immediately. I believe it would not hurt if the PM unilaterally declares a new road map with an election in three or six months. After all, he said he would like to do it anyway. It’s only the timing that is the question.

However, I do not think a new election is the most critical point. For me, the ongoing act of terrorism, of shooting real bombs or leaving hoax grenades here and there - at a hospital, for God’s sake - is the single most threatening issue that must get top priority from everyone in society, no matter what their allegiance.

The army chief does not have to go thumping on red shirt supporters at Ratchaprasong. But he has no excuse not to take action against the shadowy “Men in Black” who are out there aiming their guns and grenades freely at whatever target they feel like. This is Gen Anupong’s mandate. This can’t wait till he retires.

Edited by ivowatson

Red shirt leadership are denying that they ordered the blocking of BTS tracks. If they are not in favour of it, whu have they not ordered their supporters to remove the obstacles? wouldn't that be the logical thing to do if you are accused of something?

When the yellows occupied the airport I believe it was the Red supported PPP who was in power. If they weren't dispersed at that time I suggest you contact the PTP and express your disapproval of how they handled the situation. All the discussion of so called double standards are pointless now. Abhisit was not the PM and was not responsible for the handling of the airport seizure. He is in power now and responsible for how the current mess is handled. Whining about the past will not change the fact that we are in a very serious situation now. The reds have the power to end the protests peacefully.

The People Against Democracy yellow shirts are calling for Martian Law. Does Martian law allow poor peasants to vote or would voting be reserved for the rich, powerful and famous? Would the Yellow People Against Democracy go back to Mars if they were given every single last satang of money from working and poor Thai people? If so, I'm read to make a contribution

How can anyone say or believe in their heart of heart that snap elections is the answer???????

Thailand has had approx. 18 coups in the last 77 years (approx. 1 for every 4 years a PM is in power)

This is NOT democracy. This is people unwilling to use legal means to change and unwilling to accept when they do not get their way.

The ONLY way for change, unless by some divine miracle, is for the gov't to put its fut down when it comes to lawless mobs and terrorists demanding change. Once people realize their voices will not be heard if they break the law they will stop this idiocy. It is not only about the red mob but also finishing he legal proceedings against the yellows. As long as force and mob terrorism is a way to affect change in Thailand it will never stop.

There are obviously other things that need to happen but this has to be number 1. One of the many others is going beyond the guaranteed free education & school supplies the current gov't has instituted but also making education mandatory.

The People Against Democracy yellow shirts are calling for Martian Law. Does Martian law allow poor peasants to vote or would voting be reserved for the rich, powerful and famous? Would the Yellow People Against Democracy go back to Mars if they were given every single last satang of money from working and poor Thai people? If so, I'm read to make a contribution

Aw how cute, he thinks he's clever. But isn't Mars the Red planet?

When the yellows occupied the airport I believe it was the Red supported PPP who was in power. If they weren't dispersed at that time I suggest you contact the PTP and express your disapproval of how they handled the situation. All the discussion of so called double standards are pointless now. Abhisit was not the PM and was not responsible for the handling of the airport seizure. He is in power now and responsible for how the current mess is handled. Whining about the past will not change the fact that we are in a very serious situation now. The reds have the power to end the protests peacefully.

The red government were under attack in the courts - anyhow - the current government has done NOTHING to arrest those responsible - this IS on Abhisit's watch - in my view he has no mandate and should hold election and ask the people to decide, for themselves, whether they agree with his handling.

What also boggles my mind is how so many folks can be willing to risk their lives for a man who is too cowardly to even face the Thai criminal system for his own crimes which only amounted to a 2-year jail sentence which SURELY would have been suspended if he didn't run away and agreed to refrain from politics (the law due to his crime) and instigations of others. Education and self-esteem really need to be instilled in many here and they need to wake up and see they do have options in Thailand beyond family farming which is a dying breed all over the world. America is becoming a nation of city dwellers because business that is where the opportunities are. People need to use their heads and if with free healthcare, free schooling, tax exemptions, gov't handouts and guaranteed prices for rice production then they may want to think about getting into something else. The answer is not more handouts or loans that they cannot pay back and do nothing but make their locals leaders rich and more empowered.

Kind of also boggles the mind that the reds ideals are about communism but use the buzz word democracy to muddle this. I am not against a socialist or even communist regime in Thailand if that is what the people want and is good for the country but the reds hide the fact this is what they want. Do you really believe they and their leaders are too ignorant to communicate any agenda or concrete polices beyond over throwing the current government? The red leaders have made it clear their is no help or social plans the current gov't could offer them that will stop them from demanding this gov't be thrown out of power now. A vote in 9-months is not accepted nor was even negotiating for a better time frame. Call this Thaksin inspired revolution what you want but open your eyes ... a popular hat being sold and wore at the red camp is actually a communist Red Star hat. Clearly at least the leaders must be aware of what that represents.

Kind of also boggles the mind that the reds ideals are about communism but use the buzz word democracy to muddle this. I am not against a socialist or even communist regime in Thailand if that is what the people want and is good for the country but the reds hide the fact this is what they want. Do you really believe they and their leaders are too ignorant to communicate any agenda or concrete polices beyond over throwing the current government? The red leaders have made it clear their is no help or social plans the current gov't could offer them that will stop them from demanding this gov't be thrown out of power now. A vote in 9-months is not accepted nor was even negotiating for a better time frame. Call this Thaksin inspired revolution what you want but open your eyes ... a popular hat being sold and wore at the red camp is actually a communist Red Star hat. Clearly at least the leaders must be aware of what that represents.

You are confusing communism with 'red shirts' in a Thai context - poor choice of colour but it doesn't indicate communism.