A Fence And More

kandahar

I needed a fence/screen between my house and the neighbor's house. The usual concrete and block construction is over-used in my area and I wanted something a little different. At the same time, the wife was looking for a set-up to display some of her flowers and plants. We settled on a Smartwood and steel fence that did the job of screening the neighbor's house and accommodated quite a few of her flower pots. She rotates the plants and flowers as the seasons bring different flowers into bloom.

It took me about a ten days to build the fence, another three days to build the terraced step side-walk and two more days to build the handrails. The mother-in-law was short on garden space so we incorporated some of her garden plants into the border area along the side-walk.

Now the wife has some additional display area and we have a nice screen that really doesn't seem to be so much just another fence.

The fence is 12 meters long and approximately 1.5 meters high. The flower-pot holders were made separate from the fence and are attached to the posts with self-tapping screws. In the center of each pot-holder is a small spike, about 10 cm tall. The spike extends through the bottom drain hole of the flower-pots, preventing the flower-pots from being pushed off of the holder. We also added some hooks at the top of the fence to accommodate hanging pots.

post-94255-1272327750_thumb.jpg

post-94255-1272327790_thumb.jpg

post-94255-1272327920_thumb.jpg

post-94255-1272327931_thumb.jpg

post-94255-1272327945_thumb.jpg

This style looks very nice to me. I will be showing to my wife as we are looking for an alternative way to enclose our covered car parking area. This may be a good solution.

Can you provide a list of materials and prices?

I can and I will but it will have to wait for a bit. Got some other things going on at the moment.