Worsening Crisis Pushes Thailand Towards Anarchy

webfact

OPINION

Worsening crisis pushes country towards anarchy

By Sopon Onkgara

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- By the time this article goes to press, let's hope the country is not on the verge of becoming a failed state, now that acts of anarchy by the red-shirt thugs are terrorising law-abiding citizens almost nationwide, without any serious counter-moves on the part of the law enforcement authorities.

The rapid decay in law and order, resulting from the protracted rallies by the red shirts, with their stronghold at Rajprasong intersection, has raised doubts whether the armed forces retain the capability to restore peace, now that police authority is virtually useless.

Saying that we are moving towards anarchy is not an overstatement. Seizures of police and military vehicles by the red-shirt mobs, and the blockades of streets and highways are daily events, causing trouble and bitterness to the people who fear for their safety and worry over the future of the country.

The red shirts are the terror and horror for the ordinary people who never imagined that politicians - in their political power plays - would bring the country to this level of chaos and lawlessness. The previous aloofness and ignorance over the red peril - despite repeated warnings by people in many quarters - is inexplicable if not due to misplaced arrogance and self-preservation.

When Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Army chief General Anupong Paochinda appeared on television together on Sunday to explain what they intend to do, the public felt that there was a glimmer of hope. As the session went on, with interruptions caused by the red-shirt elements, the people gradually realised a sense of hollowness. Despair will certainly ensue if the situation is not reversed through prompt action.

It was ironic that neither of them showed a sense of urgency amidst the threats from the red-shirt leaders and their patrons, who have made known their intention to seize power and demolish national institutions, including the monarchy. Their talk was not a total waste of time, but it offered very little in the way of substance and confidence.

Of course, troops have been deployed in Silom Road and nearby areas to protect the central business district, but there is no guaranteed peace or security. At least five grenades were fired into Silom by the red shirts, killing a woman and injuring scores of others who had gathered there to express their grievances and resentment towards the red shirts.

Thais and foreigners view with horror the improvised fortifications set up by the red shirts on the streets leading to their rally base. Stockpiles of war weapons have been reported and acknowledged by Abhisit and General Anupong, but they just cannot come up with any ideas about how to deal with this threat.

The fear over casualties and a high death toll has been the key excuse for Anupong in not ordering a crackdown by his troops. Such a challenge by internal terrorists would never be condoned by other countries that have the means to deal with a threat to national security. But that is not the case here, despite the worsening crisis.

Earlier during the planning process, there was talk about acceptable collateral damage and the consequences of unpredictable mayhem. The reluctance of Anupong to send his troops into combat was presumed to be because he wants to retire at the end of September without any blood on his hands and a disturbed conscience, let alone lawsuits and criminal charges. Martial law has been suggested, but some of the top brass have ruled out such a measure for reasons best known to themselves.

The people feel helpless now that there is no foreseeable solution to the crisis. Peace negotiations have been rejected by both sides due to unacceptable conditions demanded, especially the question of amnesty for the red shirts who stand to face charges of treason, terrorist acts and instigation to murder soldiers.

What lies ahead? Confrontations between the red shirts and other groups are likely, and surely violence is inevitable if the crisis of lawlessness escalates. What's more? If the red shirts continue to set up checkpoints to harass other people, there could be militias formed by rival groups to take the law into their own hands as well.

In that case, it will be too late for a lame-duck government to stop the chaos, and the likelihood is of a civil war transforming our country into a real failed state.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News of the day: Reds block BTS, highways. Soldiers just stand by after all that talk of restoring order and the rule of law. The Red have realized that they could do pretty much anything they want with impunity.

Wow..another gem of objective reporting. Red thugs terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide no less.

It was just a few short weeks ago when all the self proclaimed experts were predicting that the UDD protest was a "total failure"

They are not getting the numbers....they will run off home when the sticky rice runs out...or when the police crack down on them blah blah blah

Now we are told they are bringing the whole country to its knees....how did this remarkable transition happen?

I see crowds of reds almost daily (outside Bankok) and have never been threatened or felt in any danger. Of course if you just hate flag waving

mulam music and the smell of fermented fish.....you would probably feel terrorized. Good job Nation....nothing like the unbiased truth in journalism.

Wow..another gem of objective reporting. Red thugs terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide no less.

It was just a few short weeks ago when all the self proclaimed experts were predicting that the UDD protest was a "total failure"

They are not getting the numbers....they will run off home when the sticky rice runs out...or when the police crack down on them blah blah blah

Now we are told they are bringing the whole country to its knees....how did this remarkable transition happen?

I see crowds of reds almost daily (outside Bankok) and have never been threatened or felt in any danger. Of course if you just hate flag waving

mulam music and the smell of fermented fish.....you would probably feel terrorized. Good job Nation....nothing like the unbiased truth in journalism.

I think that if you had read the BIG RED PRINT at the top of the page that says it's an OPINION piece, hence it should never be confused with objective reporting.

Do you understand the difference?

Edited by humfurry

<The red shirts are the terror and horror for the ordinary people who never imagined that politicians - in their political power plays - would bring the country to this level of chaos and lawlessness. >

Hmmm, so who is the bad guy, the red shirts or the politicians?

Dear Sopon Onkgara, you are really confusing me now :)

Edited by cyberia

I feel really ashamed: I've been reading The Nation and Bangkok Post for all this time. No more. Sorry. I understand we live in a country without freedom of speech, but this is too much for me.

Amazed. Ashamed...

Take care.

As long as the Pravda Nation will write: "The rapid decay in law and order, resulting from the protracted rallies by the red shirts," the country will be in despair.

the newspapers, the elites and Abisith need to understand that THEY are the reasons of this chaos.

the only result of such a partisan opinion is to divide more deeply and to drive more certainly to Civil War.

The situation is now far more difficult to handle.

1- A conscrit army is not a block without cracks. I have told from day one that the law enforcement was a Police operation more specifically Anti-Riot Forces.

2- The fact of double standards (PAD Airports) has destroyed a fair utilisation of Police and Army

3- Abhisit is acting as a Partisan Leader not as a Stateman: he failed to adress directly to root people and fix their issues, defusing the situation at the roots: it is a well known tactic to defuse a social unrest by adressing directly the issues, overpassing the leaders.

4- Now we are on the verge of the insurrection. If there is a bloody crackdown, the risk is the Civil war, just waiting than some Army sections join the insurrection. IMHO, Anupong has well understood the danger and this is why he cannot act as Abhisit want.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

that's it for me i am not going to bother reading anything else in this rubbish tabloid(the nation) what a load of crap from an obvious yellow shirt supporter.

Interesting you would totally reject this article. Does this seem like a normal nation to you?

When you go shopping do you have to get permission to enter a fort, and pass interrogation by so red shirted "protesters"

Some days the sky train runs and some days not, depending on the whims of some out of town group.

Some days you can drive down federal highways, some days you have to allow yourself to be searched by a mob.

Sometimes you can go for a ride on the sky-train, some-days you get ambushed by grenades and die.

To call the anarchy is indeed total rubbish....there is little difference between Thailand today and most countries in the world.

Yep and I know you love your yaba-yaba, you can see so clearly after a dose.

the only result of such a partisan opinion is to divide more deeply and to drive more certainly to Civil War.

The situation is now far more difficult to handle.

1- A conscrit army is not a block without cracks. I have told from day one that the law enforcement was a Police operation more specifically Anti-Riot Forces.

2- The fact of double standards (PAD Airports) has destroyed a fair utilisation of Police and Army

3- Abhisit is acting as a Partisan Leader not as a Stateman: he failed to adress directly to root people and fix their issues, defusing the situation at the roots: it is a well known tactic to defuse a social unrest by adressing directly the issues, overpassing the leaders.

4- Now we are on the verge of the insurrection. If there is a bloody crackdown, the risk is the Civil war, just waiting than some Army sections join the insurrection. IMHO, Anupong has well understood the danger and this is why he cannot act as Abhisit want.

Thats a great post and the Army is indeed split.

In the past, the Elites have bought elections and where they could not buy them, they have (through the salaries of the forces with missused Tax Revenue) PAID for coups and PAID the soldiers to do their bidding. They have somehow brought Newin in on their side this time to prop up Abhisit. This can only mean they have promised him PM if he maintains status Quo. When PAD have a problem with Newin in the future, they are going to pray that the "good old days" of Thaksin could come back. A PAD rally under a Newin Gov. will not happen. Crocodile farms will have a good day though.

Is it any better to be paying army conscripts to keep you in power all these years than Thaksin buying a bit of land and dodging a bit of tax? Obviously to the PAD its ok.

PAD's rank and file interestes are closer to those of the Redshirts. They just don't know it yet as they think they are part of the upper classes. They are at best, part of the lower rungs of middle classes and still very poorly paid in a world wide sense. This despite their party being in power forever.

I think that if you had read the BIG RED PRINT at the top of the page that says it's an OPINION piece, hence it should never be confused with objective reporting.

I wish i was really allowed to express my opinion here but unfortunately due to the restrictions placed on thai visa by whom we are not allowed to say.

lets all pray for a peaceful solution and not civil war as the author has proposed in his humble????????????????? honest??????????? opinion.

The "opinion piece" starts of by stating a fact....."Red thugs are terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide" Do you read that as just

an opinion? It is stated as a fact...and it is nonsense just like most of what we get from that particular source....and why the sarcastic tone. Are you a supporter

of garbage journalism.....as long as it's anti red. In any case, almost everything we read on this forum is "opinion".....facts are never important it seems...they usually get ignored. Opinions are much more colorful and exciting..and provide more opportunity for name calling and insulting responses.

The "opinion piece" starts of by stating a fact....."Red thugs are terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide" Do you read that as just

an opinion? It is stated as a fact...and it is nonsense just like most of what we get from that particular source....and why the sarcastic tone. Are you a supporter

of garbage journalism.....as long as it's anti red. In any case, almost everything we read on this forum is "opinion".....facts are never important it seems...they usually get ignored. Opinions are much more colorful and exciting..and provide more opportunity for name calling and insulting responses.

That's your opinion.

An article like this in the west would lead to a pile of lawsuits. Apparently in thailand you can state "opinions" as facts. High school students could write better articles than this clown.

So the reds are not closing the BTS and setting up roadblocks on highways??? Are they just having a picnic?

Or are they just imitating the yellows with the airport? Why was that wrong and the actions by the reds aren't?

I'm not red and I'm not yellow...but this article seems pretty accurate. It is total chaos. I've never seen a civilized country act like this. Allowing violent protesters to take things over, while the police and the army do nothing. It is just crazy. This country is really messed up...sure glad I am not living in Bangkok now...

Quote from the Article"

The people feel helpless now that there is no foreseeable solution to the crisis. Peace negotiations have been rejected by both sides due to unacceptable conditions demanded, especially the question of amnesty for the red shirts who stand to face charges of treason, terrorist acts and instigation to murder soldiers".

That's a little worrying

So the reds are not closing the BTS and setting up roadblocks on highways??? Are they just having a picnic?

Or are they just imitating the yellows with the airport? Why was that wrong and the actions by the reds aren't?

Nobody said that airport closure was right.

What is wrong with the red shirts protest? Everything! And they do it for the wrong reasons, and benefit of only one man....

Come and have a look at the area, you'll understand! This zone is a lawless area. Not one policeman, not one soldier. Reds are ruling at their will.

This country is on the verge of real chaos, and civil war will produce much more victims than a crack down of the Ratchprasong area !

An article like this in the west would lead to a pile of lawsuits. Apparently in thailand you can state "opinions" as facts. High school students could write better articles than this clown.

watch Fox News and you'll see the same thing done.....no lawsuits I'm aware of....

it is clear that:

1- Yellow Shirts having been protected by Abhisit, abhisit has no more credibility to act against the Red Shirts.

2- Only somebody OUTSIDE RED and YELLOW SHIRTS can bring Normalcy. Abhisit has to resign as soon as possible in order to open this option. Standing as PM can only deepen the situation.

To see clearly in this mess, it would definitely not be a disability to be colour blind.

Me thinks those taking a look in black and white might have a more accurate perspective.

But seriously this is not about just lemons and tomatoes it is a whole deal more complicated.

One person to watch closely for some clarity seems to be the Bangkok Governor. Bearing in mind some previous articles by him I think he is one of those trying to find a solution.

The Yellows shut down the airport for 9 days ... and that's REALLY BAD.

The reds have shut down the centre of the city for a month and are shutting down major highways around the country ... and that's OK, because the Yellows shut down the airport for 9 days ... and that's REALLY BAD.