Worsening Crisis Pushes Thailand Towards Anarchy

webfact

Yeah - what on earth is he doing wrong?

taksin.jpg

Well Once Upon a Time...

In a Land Far Far away from Here

There lived a lovely man who cared about his people...

Edited by djlest

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will Abhisit step down and leave the country? Abhisit has lost already and the Reds haven't even sent in their troops! Doesn't Abhisit get the message? The Reds are giving him and his government time to stop unnecessary bloodshed. From my source, the Reds have enough to hold out for months more, and they have the means to fight and win - not only in Bangkok. Why do you think the Yellows aren't protesting anymore? I even know wealthy Bangkokians who are leaving the country. They know it's the end.

A highly educated man who is also the prime minester of a country with all of the country's intelligence resources, but he doesn't get it and your source does, of course.

Who, pray tell is your source? Is she over 18?

Edited by rabo

You spend some time in a village ... you drink weekly on Saturdays ... the rest of your time is in France?

While I do find your story plausible, it is strictly anecdotal about your in-laws and only when you are there with them. The fact that there are many cases of methyl-alcohol poisonings annually and that the statistics of alcohol sales in Thailand is amongst the highest per-capita in the world certainly tells another story.

Lao Khao is CHEAP and kept that way for a reason ...... the reason is the marketplace

For your information, I have spent less than a week in France since 2002. And I have checked with my wife: in the village where we are (around 1000 houses) only drinking the Lao Khao for parties (Songkran, marriage....) The week end, with my in Laws I drink a couple of beers...and around us similar. Thailand is certainly less alcoholic than UK which has heavy drinking records.

In the area where we are alcohol is not in the diet. Maybe your area is different.

Evidently your area is not representative of Thailand then Jerry. It follows that your observations and the ideas arising from those observations are necessarily suspect.

Or maybe it is your area which is not representative.

First we have to take out from statistics Pattaya, Cowboy Stret, NanaThai, Patpong, udon Thani... because mainly Farangs are the heavy drunkers, and I will add mainly UK and Northern European ...this is to add to their National statistics and deducted from Thailand one.

Foreigners may be heavy drinkers but take a look at these stats: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_alc_...umption-current

Luxembourg number one and France number two UK trails in at nine and with quite significantly less than the British;) Sometimes nations dont live up to their stereotypes :)

Why on Earth are you saying that Abhisit should be sent into exile???

Well what would you do with a man who has ruined a country, Knight him?

Cheapshot at the easiest scapegoat. I haven't seen him out there with an RPG or stacking tires on the BTS, or blocking police and disrupting life.

If anything, he's been way too nice tolerating these low lifes and their ridiculous behavior.

These guys live in their own little universe. they've been blathering on about abhisit being finished for weeks now. abhisit is still around, unlike thousands of the red shirts, who to their credit, were probably sickened by the violent shift the movement took on. the yellow/multi color shirts decided not to go back on the street in order to avoid more violence, as the reds threatened to follow them around, inciting more fighting.

:)

Tell me what has Abhisit actually done in the last few weeks except hide in the army barracks and say soon something will happen. He is as good as finished already and I still stand by the fact that he is a spent force and will be out soon. Today my little universe included a visit to the red protest site and to Sukhumvit between Asok and Nana where there were some very bored looking conscripts with razor wire, rifles and some water canons. What did you do today in your little universe? I bet it was nothing to bring you closer to the reality of the situation.

And what makes you think that will ever happen? Why not have a think before ranting at people?

A few thousand paid thugs does not a sizeable proportion of the country make. Could be wrong, but I can't see the vast majority of Isaan folk making a fuss and taking up arms to have a go at the middle classes because a mob from their own neighbourhood was totalled. Most of them are just ordinary folk that want to get on with things, yet some people lump them all together as if they're one entity ready to pounce.

Should there be a crackdown, the worst that'll probably happen will be groups of thugs causing strife for cash. Take away the leaders and the cash flow and it'll wither away.

The Red shirts must be dreaming of an attempt to take them over as if the military did this the reds know that they would win. They would have worldwide support and would become martyrs in Thailand. Dont underestimate the strength of red shirt support. I see and hear it all the time in Bangkok. People have been made to realize what a controlled and unequal society this is and that knowledge wont go away.

1- It is clear that Army is divided.

2- The Red Shirt issue happens now but socially it has to happen at some times due to the too important differences in the Thai Society. It was unavoidable...If it is postponed, the social issue will bounce back. It has to be adressed correctly.

3- Yes there are some other interests superimposed to the Red Shirts ones and which are manipulating the situation independantly of the Red Shirts. it is interesting if you have the opportunity to read some foreign sources which are censored in Thailand (like Mandala), you will discover than the situation is more complex than Red/yellow shirt conflict and you will have confirmation that we are on the verge of a Civil war, you will understand also that the Thaksin episod is far behind us since the 10th of April. The situation is quite sensitive.

Virtually everyone has been saying it is complex for ages. It is only certain low level red propagandists who use if you arent red you are yellow. Even the PAD dont claim it is all about Thaksin look at some of Sondhis stuff. This has been discussed extensively on here for months and months. As to how much Thaksin remains involved people differ and that would only be answered were the reds to win. Most external westren analysis mentions splits in the military whgich have been discussed here for years. Most western military analysis mentions a particular power broker and a force he set up as being the big worry for soldier on soldier stuff although some others have differnet theories which since the recent positioning of forces seem to have lost ground to the other theory. Janes had some stuff on this but slightly dated and Professor Balls book has been recommended for understanding. For military gossip albeit unsubstantiated Crispin is a good source in English. I note today that NM has rehashed the now minority opinion story of April 10 but in a very gossipy unsubstantiated way, which is a tad amazing consdieriung what they accuse the Nation of but it does fit with their slant so only to be expected.

The way I see it Abhisit needs to modify to diminish the two largest non government institutions, He needs to rebuild from the ground up another institution. That done AFTER he sorts out the current mess using people he'll have to turn on later, probably after he wins the next election. He needs to have a national dialogue to accomplish any of these things, drawing in both followers of the Red and Yellow factions. All while these various institutions try to subvert his goals. Sounds like Mission Impossible. Failure to do it leads to a Phillipine like state at best and a Burma like state at worst with random violent acts occuring here and there. Somewhere in there he needs to keep his party from being dissolved. Sure hope it rains soon.

1- It is clear that Army is divided.

2- The Red Shirt issue happens now but socially it has to happen at some times due to the too important differences in the Thai Society. It was unavoidable...If it is postponed, the social issue will bounce back. It has to be adressed correctly.

3- Yes there are some other interests superimposed to the Red Shirts ones and which are manipulating the situation independantly of the Red Shirts. it is interesting if you have the opportunity to read some foreign sources which are censored in Thailand (like Mandala), you will discover than the situation is more complex than Red/yellow shirt conflict and you will have confirmation that we are on the verge of a Civil war, you will understand also that the Thaksin episod is far behind us since the 10th of April. The situation is quite sensitive.

I have never had an MICT notice from a Mandala article. Perhaps you are mistaken?

It is always available. I doubt it is influential enough to worry anyone overly about the very occasional controversial piece they put up.

When will Abhisit step down and leave the country? Abhisit has lost already and the Reds haven't even sent in their troops! Doesn't Abhisit get the message? The Reds are giving him and his government time to stop unnecessary bloodshed. From my source, the Reds have enough to hold out for months more, and they have the means to fight and win - not only in Bangkok. Why do you think the Yellows aren't protesting anymore? I even know wealthy Bangkokians who are leaving the country. They know it's the end.

Well, you certainly know a lot of people in your little make believe world! Someone who knows the reds are armed enough to take on the Thai army in Bangkok and throughout Thailand AND wealthy Bangkokians who are leaving the country. How come no one else has picked up on this- I mean it would be a big story for CNN / BBC. Anyway, we're all really impressed with your imagination. :)

The way I see it Abhisit needs to modify to diminish the two largest non government institutions, He needs to rebuild from the ground up another institution. That done AFTER he sorts out the current mess using people he'll have to turn on later, probably after he wins the next election. He needs to have a national dialogue to accomplish any of these things, drawing in both followers of the Red and Yellow factions. All while these various institutions try to subvert his goals. Sounds like Mission Impossible. Failure to do it leads to a Phillipine like state at best and a Burma like state at worst with random violent acts occuring here and there. Somewhere in there he needs to keep his party from being dissolved. Sure hope it rains soon.

probably after he wins the next election!!!!!! :):D:D:D Why do you think he is not calling one now?

You spend some time in a village ... you drink weekly on Saturdays ... the rest of your time is in France?

While I do find your story plausible, it is strictly anecdotal about your in-laws and only when you are there with them. The fact that there are many cases of methyl-alcohol poisonings annually and that the statistics of alcohol sales in Thailand is amongst the highest per-capita in the world certainly tells another story.

Lao Khao is CHEAP and kept that way for a reason ...... the reason is the marketplace

For your information, I have spent less than a week in France since 2002. And I have checked with my wife: in the village where we are (around 1000 houses) only drinking the Lao Khao for parties (Songkran, marriage....) The week end, with my in Laws I drink a couple of beers...and around us similar. Thailand is certainly less alcoholic than UK which has heavy drinking records.

In the area where we are alcohol is not in the diet. Maybe your area is different.

Evidently your area is not representative of Thailand then Jerry. It follows that your observations and the ideas arising from those observations are necessarily suspect.

Or maybe it is your area which is not representative.

First we have to take out from statistics Pattaya, Cowboy Stret, NanaThai, Patpong, udon Thani... because mainly Farangs are the heavy drunkers, and I will add mainly UK and Northern European ...this is to add to their National statistics and deducted from Thailand one.

It certainly is possible. I live in BKK but haven't been to Nana or Cowboy for years. I do see people drinking next to the motorcycle taxi stand every morning on my way to work.

Mostly my impression of the high level of drinking amongst rural Thais comes from my experiences in the wife's village in Surin. They have a saying there: Kohn Surin mai kin lao mun ma Surin. Translated this means roughly 'The only people from Surin who don't drink whiskey are the dogs of Surin'. Perhaps Surin is an anomaly, but they are some seriously heavy drinkers. Folks there make members of party-hard jock fraternity look like monks from Santi Asoke.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Probably after he wins the next election!!!!!! :):D:D:D Why do you think he is not calling one now?

I didn't mean to imply he would win the next election only that there is no time between now and whenever that is to even begin to tackle these tasks. Winning the election is just one more of his huge orders of business to accomplish. Hence the "Mission Impossible". The jokes are never as funny when you need to explain them.

Top ten list. ( We need a laugh.)

Best revolution songs

I will start with a few.

"Revolution" by The Beatles. (Pro Peace)

"Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider (pro GOV)

Instant Karma by John Lennon

What's Going On by Marvin Gaye

Mother, mother

There's too many of you crying

Brother, brother, brother

There's far too many of you dying

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father

We don't need to escalate

You see, war is not the answer

For only love can conquer hate

To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs

Don't punish me with brutality

Talk to me, so you can see

Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Ah, what's going on

In the mean time

Right on, baby

Right on

Right on

Father, father, everybody thinks we're wrong

Oh, but who are they to judge us

Simply because our hair is long

Oh, you know we've got to find a way

To bring some understanding here today

Oh

Talk to me

So you can see

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Tell me what's going on

I'll tell you what's going on - Uh

Right on baby

Right on baby

Tell me what has Abhisit actually done in the last few weeks except hide in the army barracks and say soon something will happen. He is as good as finished already and I still stand by the fact that he is a spent force and will be out soon. Today my little universe included a visit to the red protest site and to Sukhumvit between Asok and Nana where there were some very bored looking conscripts with razor wire, rifles and some water canons. What did you do today in your little universe? I bet it was nothing to bring you closer to the reality of the situation.

Great, you went and hung out with the other tourists. Sounds swell. Others of us have jobs. Work. And know just how disruptive and worrying this little "revolution" has been to the everyday hard working Thais. They don't seem to see it as entertainment.

Great, you went and hung out with the other tourists. Sounds swell. Others of us have jobs. Work. And know just how disruptive and worrying this little "revolution" has been to the everyday hard working Thais. They don't seem to see it as entertainment.

Wrong! I live and work in Bangkok and have done so for 10 years. This morning I was working in the offices in Central (in the middle of the demonstration) and then this afternoon in Prahkanong where I was also working. I had to walk through the streets as the BTS wasnt working. Didnt see any tourists either. I dont expect an apology from you because I remember when the terrorist yellows took over the airport they didnt offer any appologies either. :)

Thailand has been run by the military since the coup in September 2006. The coup never ended. Abhisit was the end result of an engineered coalition following the soap opera PPP mini series - all part of the plan. What a good show too. The Yellows lapped it up. When a prime minister can't even get the army (the very same army that gave him the top job in the first place) on his side to clear anti-government protestors off the streets, you know something is up. The Reds have already won. More than half the RTA are Reds anyway; hence their lack of willingness to fight. Come the order, they will run away. They don't want to shoot their own villagers. What planet are the Yellows on?

@rabo: My source is not a Yellow Shirt so his/her mental age is over 18. But I don't know what you were implying anyway. Maybe you should reassess your objectives. :-)

I thought the first job of the government was defence of the realm. The Reds have pushed and pushed, they have no regard for the law, anyone who is not a red supporter or it would appear for the welfare of Thailand. The Police seem incapable of upholding the law of the land,so it comes down to the armed forces to defend the realm and uphold the law,without which how can you live? The armed forces are supposed to defend against outside forces, what we appear to have is 1 outside and a misguided mob inside. I know the forces to not want to fight thais,so do the Reds and on that they play and push the country towards anarchy. It has to stop and if blood is spilt whose fault will it be? The Reds could retreat but they choose not too, they could have accepted an earlier election, maybe talked about a reduction in time, they chose not too and they do all this law breaking etc in the name of, yes, democracy. Would you want them running the country? If they lose do you think they will accept it? I think it is time for the forces to clear Bangkok, it will be chaos for a while certainly, the Government must return the country to normality and then address the questions that need to dealt with, the most important is likely to be how can we create a fairer society, so that there are no more peaceful/law breaking rallies.

A highly educated man who is also the prime minester of a country with all of the country's intelligence resources, but he doesn't get it

I think BL's "source" has been on the sauce, but I can't help being reminded of another "highly educated man" who was also the leader of a country with massive "intelligence resources" who didn't "get it" either.

Best revolution songs

I will start with a few.

Mother, mother

Father, father

Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Ah, what's going on

In the mean time

Right on, baby

Right on

Right on

Oh

Talk to me

So you can see

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Tell me what's going on

Right on baby

Right on baby

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The End" by The Doors

Classic Last one from me (Great as used in movie, Apocalypse Now)

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be

So limitless and free

Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand

In a...desperate land

Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain

And all the children are insane

All the children are insane

Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There's danger on the edge of town

Ride the King's highway, baby

Weird scenes inside the gold mine

Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake

To the lake, the ancient lake, baby

The snake is long, seven miles

Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best

The west is the best

Get here, and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is callin' us

The blue bus is callin' us

Driver, where you taken' us

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on

He took a face from the ancient gallery

And he walked on down the hall

He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he

Paid a visit to his brother, and then he

He walked on down the hall, and

And he came to a door...and he looked inside

Father, yes son, I want to kill you

Mother...I want to...WAAAAAA

C'mon baby,--------- No "take a chance with us"

C'mon baby, take a chance with us

C'mon baby, take a chance with us

And meet me at the back of the blue bus

Doin' a blue rock

On a blue bus

Doin' a blue rock

C'mon, yeah

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill

This is the end

Beautiful friend

This is the end

My only friend, the end

It hurts to set you free

But you'll never follow me

The end of laughter and soft lies

The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end<script type=text/javascript> document.getElementById('content').innerHTML = document.getElementById('content_h').innerHTML;

Wrong! I live and work in Bangkok and have done so for 10 years. This morning I was working in the offices in Central (in the middle of the demonstration) and then this afternoon in Prahkanong where I was also working. I had to walk through the streets as the BTS wasnt working. Didnt see any tourists either. I dont expect an apology from you because I remember when the terrorist yellows took over the airport they didnt offer any appologies either. :)

"..I had to walk through the streets as the BTS wasnt working."

Was that because of an act of 'Democracy' by the reds ? :D

Best revolution songs

I will start with a few.

Mother, mother

Father, father

Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Ah, what's going on

In the mean time

Right on, baby

Right on

Right on

Oh

Talk to me

So you can see

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Tell me what's going on

Right on baby

Right on baby

Thailand is a young democracy , a very young one and what happens today will probably happen again for quite some time.

Most Thais, the yellow, red or multi-colored ones still do not really understand what democracy is.

Most are manipulated by the media and their so-called leaders who only have their own interest in mind.

But as some said, the genie is out of the bottle and even if it will take time, "real" democracy will eventually come to Thailand.

I doubt Abhisit will win an election. I am not even sure there will be an election. Newin may be the man to watch. Not he himself but those he positions whether through election or not is another matter

They stopped when they won.

Exactly. The police and army didn't even raise a baton to the Yellows in 2008 when they besieged the main gateway into the country. And they got what they wanted in just 9 days.

So why would the Reds go home now given this blatant show of double standards? It's not about Mr. T anymore, though he was the catalyst.

This blatant hypocrisy and the double standards evidenced by this current government will be their Achilles heel.

That's for sure.

Thailand is a young democracy , a very young one and what happens today will probably happen again for quite some time.

Most Thais, the yellow, red or multi-colored ones still do not really understand what democracy is.

Most are manipulated by the media and their so-called leaders who only have their own interest in mind.

But as some said, the genie is out of the bottle and even if it will take time, "real" democracy will eventually come to Thailand.

True. It isnt going to happen quickly though as people must learn the true nature of those who lead them and there is nothing very good in that category

"..I had to walk through the streets as the BTS wasnt working."

Was that because of an act of 'Democracy' by the reds ? :D

No it wasnt an act of democracy, why can't people on Thai visa realize that you don't have to be red or yellow? There is a middle ground, I agree with the redshirts on some points but like most reasonable people not on everything they do. I, for example, despise a lot of Thaksin's actions but I side with them over the unfair division of Thai society, the controlled media and having worked with many Amart people cannot agree with their thoughts about a 'fair society' Why do we have to be Yellow or red and nothing else?

I thought the first job of the government was defence of the realm. The Reds have pushed and pushed, they have no regard for the law, anyone who is not a red supporter or it would appear for the welfare of Thailand. The Police seem incapable of upholding the law of the land,so it comes down to the armed forces to defend the realm and uphold the law,without which how can you live? The armed forces are supposed to defend against outside forces, what we appear to have is 1 outside and a misguided mob inside. I know the forces to not want to fight thais,so do the Reds and on that they play and push the country towards anarchy. It has to stop and if blood is spilt whose fault will it be? The Reds could retreat but they choose not too, they could have accepted an earlier election, maybe talked about a reduction in time, they chose not too and they do all this law breaking etc in the name of, yes, democracy. Would you want them running the country? If they lose do you think they will accept it? I think it is time for the forces to clear Bangkok, it will be chaos for a while certainly, the Government must return the country to normality and then address the questions that need to dealt with, the most important is likely to be how can we create a fairer society, so that there are no more peaceful/law breaking rallies.

Which forces? If half of them moves the other half will engage action in the opposite direction: we are on a powder drum... Do you understand.....

Well, you certainly know a lot of people in your little make believe world! Someone who knows the reds are armed enough to take on the Thai army in Bangkok and throughout Thailand AND wealthy Bangkokians who are leaving the country. How come no one else has picked up on this- I mean it would be a big story for CNN / BBC. Anyway, we're all really impressed with your imagination. :)

I know some wealthy people who left. All of Thaksin's family, right before the protests. Well we wouldn't want them standing in the sun all day with the phrai would we?

Wow..another gem of objective reporting. Red thugs terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide no less.

It was just a few short weeks ago when all the self proclaimed experts were predicting that the UDD protest was a "total failure"

They are not getting the numbers....they will run off home when the sticky rice runs out...or when the police crack down on them blah blah blah

Now we are told they are bringing the whole country to its knees....how did this remarkable transition happen?

I see crowds of reds almost daily (outside Bankok) and have never been threatened or felt in any danger. Of course if you just hate flag waving

mulam music and the smell of fermented fish.....you would probably feel terrorized. Good job Nation....nothing like the unbiased truth in journalism.

I think that if you had read the BIG RED PRINT at the top of the page that says it's an OPINION piece, hence it should never be confused with objective reporting.

Do you understand the difference?

The "opinion piece" starts of by stating a fact....."Red thugs are terrorizing law abiding citizens almost nation wide" Do you read that as just

an opinion? It is stated as a fact...and it is nonsense just like most of what we get from that particular source....and why the sarcastic tone. Are you a supporter

of garbage journalism.....as long as it's anti red. In any case, almost everything we read on this forum is "opinion".....facts are never important it seems...they usually get ignored. Opinions are much more colorful and exciting..and provide more opportunity for name calling and insulting responses.

That's your opinion.

In my opinion he's too opinionated !

I see crowds of reds almost daily (outside Bankok) and have never been threatened or felt in any danger. Of course if you just hate flag waving

mulam music and the smell of fermented fish.....you would probably feel terrorized. Good job Nation....nothing like the unbiased truth in journalism.

I spent the weekend with my GF inside the red shirt camp across from the Dusit. We were given free food, water, lots of conversation and even a foot rub. Not for a second did I feel threatened or in danger, other than from the massive police force that was gathering across the street. That made us uneasy. The reds did not cross the road nor solicit fighting of any kind during my stay with them, even when the multi-colored shirts were chanting for them to come out and fight.

While it is none of my business as to why they are doing this, I find their methods acceptable. In events where violence happens, you're not going to make an omelet unless you crack a few eggs. It's going to happen when you have a massive uprising from the people. Personally I feel some other areas of the world (those who want change - US Tea baggers coming to mind) could learn a thing or two from them.

Is it going to get messy? You bet it is. Forced change usually is. It's their country, let them do with it as they wish. Think back to how your own country was forged and how many lives were lost in the process before finally shaping into what it is today. Thailand has always been unstable and truth is, it's going to be unstable for many years to come. Sooner or later they will get it right.

What I do find embarrassing for Thailand is the governments reaction. The police and army are like keystone cops, lucky to not shoot their own feet off. How entire armed units can be stopped and stripped of their weapons by guys with sticks is beyond me. I would like to think they allow it because they do not want to fire on their fellow Thais and not because they are just that poorly trained. It seems the only group to fear is the black masked Rangers ("terrorists") who can put a bullet in the center of your forehead from a mile away. When these guys step back into the shadows, it's going to get ugly again.

All we can do is hope for as little bloodshed as possible, as a solution doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight.

Democracy means either your party is in charge or you protest and whine about double standards.

Perhaps things will change but outside of Bangkok, I do not see any anarchy at all. In fact nothing has changed in the least.. It does seem sometimes that Bangkok is separate from the rest of Thailand. Personally, I hope there is no more violence in Bangkok or anywhere else. But if their is violence in Bangkok, I do not believe this will necessarily lead to a civil war. As long as farmers have crops and vendors can sell their goods I think life will just go on.

Wrong, my friend, their is a strong UDD force here in the north; Thaksins home pace. For e.g there were 10 or so bombs up here (no injuries) in Chiang Mai. over the Song Kraan. Reds are everywhere. Do not underestimate their organisational abilities and financial support from a former PM.