Cheapest Mcdonalds – Where?

Lotusbluete

Can anyone give me an advice where to find the cheapest McDonald?

I know the question is a bit provocative but I will give the reason for it. I usually have a weekly lunch with my wife and small daughter after shopping at Carrefour at the McDonalds outlet behind Jungceylon. We order one (enlarged) Hamburger Meal and an extra Cheeseburger. The bill comes up to THB 234.

Just a few days ago I had exactly the same meal at the McDonald in Tesco LOTUS shopping Mall. And the price was only THB 180! According to the bill the same Thai company manages both outlets.

Of course I can anticipate the arguments that one shop is in Patong (high rental etc) and the other one “only” in Phuket town, the one restaurant sees (rich?) tourist, the other one just (poor?) Thai customers.

However, does that justify this price difference? Obviously…

Now you've done it.

Admitting you like eating at McDonald's is an open invitation for the holier than thou food snobs to preach their various sermons about the evil McDonald's and the food they serve. Some people can't resist an opportunity to decry McDonald's is crap.

That being said, some of their locations do charge more. In Chiang Mai, the night Bazaar and the Thapae Gate locations have higher prices than the Carefour and Central locations. I think that proximity to tourism is the key in pricing policy.

Is the 50 extra baht going to bankrupt you?

Instead of enjoy the family experience complain about the price

You should count your blessing you have a chance to eat at McDonalds at all

Jeez, blessed to be eating at McDonalds...thats a first!

During my studies I worked parttime at McDonalds in Scheveningen in the Netherlands at the beach.

Prices at that outlet were higher than other McD's in the Netherlands in the summer (high season, this was the 90's) in the winter prices were lowered to below the average prices. This was because in the summer Scheveningen is swamped by tourists enjoying the beach. In the Netherlands franchisees were allowed to set their own prices within a certain bandwidth in the 90's I do not know the current situation.

I do not know the policy in Thailand of Macthai co. ltd. but it is certainly not unheard of!

as you can only choose from the 100 mcd's in patong or the 2 in phuket town obviously the ones in phuket town will be cheaper

i've only eaten in the one in the big tesco and it is noticeably cheaper though as other have noted already you shouldn't drive from patong to the big tesco to find McD since you will pay the difference in prices in gasoline (if it not on your way obv :) )

I personally try to never go to McDonald in Patong just because of the reason you mentioned.

They have the same prices in Tesco as in Phuket "town" next to Robinson I think it is.

So I guess it's the same price level everywhere else but Patong.

Every so often I have errands in Phuket town so if I crave a burger, I go there.

I find this thread very interesting as I have long time thought thought that McD in Patong is more expensive than in Phuket Town. I'm thinking that this is a more subtle sort of 'dual pricing'. As mostly tourists/Falangs in Patong and McD are trying to attract Thais in Phuket Town. I suppose McD can justify higher rates in Patong as I have heard they pay enormous rent rates in Bangla, the 2 beach front Rd outlets, and Jungceylon.

Is the 50 extra baht going to bankrupt you?

Instead of enjoy the family experience complain about the price

You should count your blessing you have a chance to eat at McDonalds at all

Hallo Nio,

Maybe you did not read my statement carefully. I started with the wording that this is a "provocative" question. I am not complaining about the price. I was just not aware that McD has a "dual" pricing policy.

And yes, as I wrote, I have a weekly lunch there. Whether it is a "blessing" I will leave to everybody's choice.

Just about everything in Patong is more expensive than anywhere else. Swensons ice-cream is and never offers the same specials as anywhere else. Pizza company exactly the same and of course McDonalds. It's all down to rent and the farang market. Mind you the airport takes the cake for gouging. The books shop charges double the price for everything. Pizza company pizzas are like most fast foods in they shrink on a yearly basis by a cm or 2. KFC is the all time master of the shrinking packaging however.

I gave up eating that crap years ago anyway so it doesn't worry me anymore. I'm no food terrorist but give me good old Thai food anyday. I used to get out of date McDonalds beef for my rottweilers and it was so fatty it was ridiculous. Nakhon Sri Thammarat has the best cooks in Thailand. You can eat a sit down multi course meal for 2 for under 500 baht and there are some awesome restaurants like Khrua Nakhon and Khrua Wang Na just to name 2 of my favourites.

In Patong I go to Glarp Gluay where all the locals eat, very good food and very well priced. Mc Donalds is at least clean and offers food you can feel safe with if you haven't developed a Thai style stomach yet. Seen many a hero attempt to be all Thai and mighty and woof down a spicy som tum or sua rong hai (crying tiger) and spent the next week driving the porcelain bus.

I gave up eating that crap years ago anyway so it doesn't worry me anymore. I'm no food terrorist but give me good old Thai food anyday...

Blah, blah blah. Well, canuckamuck, you certainly predicted that one. :)

Now you've done it.

Admitting you like eating at McDonald's is an open invitation for the holier than thou food snobs to preach their various sermons about the evil McDonald's and the food they serve. Some people can't resist an opportunity to decry McDonald's is crap.

During my studies I worked parttime at McDonalds in Scheveningen in the Netherlands at the beach.

Prices at that outlet were higher than other McD's in the Netherlands in the summer (high season, this was the 90's) in the winter prices were lowered to below the average prices. This was because in the summer Scheveningen is swamped by tourists enjoying the beach. In the Netherlands franchisees were allowed to set their own prices within a certain bandwidth in the 90's I do not know the current situation.

I do not know the policy in Thailand of Macthai co. ltd. but it is certainly not unheard of!

I lived all my live in Scheveningen and never !!!!!!!!!!!!! paid a different price at any MacDonald in The Netherlands. Also I have a friend who ownes two francises and he does NOT have the right to price his products.

I find this thread very interesting as I have long time thought thought that McD in Patong is more expensive than in Phuket Town. I'm thinking that this is a more subtle sort of 'dual pricing'. As mostly tourists/Falangs in Patong and McD are trying to attract Thais in Phuket Town. I suppose McD can justify higher rates in Patong as I have heard they pay enormous rent rates in Bangla, the 2 beach front Rd outlets, and Jungceylon.

:D well i was charged 150 baht for a bottle of water, 7 baht at 7/11 and 300 for a glass of wine

this on the beach road in patong. Now never mind Mcdonalds :)

:D Steaksamkong has opened in chalong home pro villiage. western food only all that one craves at the usual very low price with qiuck service and good quality and quantity, all day breakie 99 bht its located out side the 'farang' store with a view of big budda, beers large 69 bht give it a try fish and chips etc tuna salad yes you could claim i was advertising but No. its to tell thai visa where there is good wholsome food at the right price random