Thailand's Tourism Plunges Drastically

webfact

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Pattaya should be safe enough, shouldnt it?

Pattaya has zero redshirt trouble/tension/whatever right now, it's all just business as usual here. I need to get to BKK airport in the next few days from Pattaya and the only thing I'm worried about is any of these checkpoints that the news keeps reporting, I'm not sure how widespread they are or if they are stopping people to and from Pattaya. Hard to guage from the news how big this is or if it's a few isolated incidents that looks worse than it really is.

I've avoided Bangkok completely for the last 3 weeks just to be safe so I don't know how busy or dangerous it could be now, I'm sure as long as you stayed away from Silom and the protest areas you would be perfectly alright but if I was you I would head straight to Pattaya from the airport.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

really ? what a surprise ...

I guess some more businesses that depends on tourism will be RIP soon(er than a bit later)

what will be the incentive to come here with your family and possibly get killed by accident ?

come here and see the red ...???

and phuket maffia scammers must be rubbing their hands now... more people to scam with taxi, ...

following thai logic : prices in hotels and restaurants will increase (for farang only...)

I can already hear them think (kinda tick, tock) : farang, you pay more, for security

What a complete load of rubbish. :)

I guess some more businesses that depends on tourism will be RIP soon(er than a bit later)

what will be the incentive to come here with your family and possibly get killed by accident ?

and phuket maffia scammers must be rubbing their hands now... more people to scam with taxi, ...

following thai logic : prices in hotels and restaurants will increase (for farang only...)

I can already hear them think (kinda tick, tock) : farang, you pay more, for security

What a complete load of rubbish. :)

I agree....what planet is the original poster on!

There are some very stupid people posting on this thread, threat of danger is not the real problem.

How many tourists do you know will go on a holiday without travel insurance?

I certainly wouldn't and only know one person who would.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies.

The spawn of Banharn is clever in seeking 1.6 billion at this time. Like a good little politician, I am sure he will profit from the situation and ensure that the money goes to the right hands/pockets.

What a joke !

Tourism authority wants Bt1.6 BILLION. They can spend all they want but they can't pull the wool over people's eyes any longer. These demonstrations will echo for years to come for the tourism industry. TAT may be able to sweep all the tourist scams and increasing criminal targeting of foreigners, but when you have zealots taking part of a city hostage, bloodshed and now frisking by red shirts of passers by, the only people who come will be bypassing the Big Mango and heading straight to the beaches or to the Rose of the North.
Edited by hardy1943

Tourism authority wants Bt1.6 BILLION. They can spend all they want but they can't pull the wool over people's eyes any longer. These demonstrations will echo for years to come for the tourism industry. TAT may be able to sweep all the tourist scams and increasing criminal targeting of foreigners, but when you have zealots taking part of a city hostage, bloodshed and now frisking by red shirts of passers by, the only people who come will be bypassing the Big Mango and heading straight to the beaches or to the Rose of the North.

First of all they have to train the immigration to smile teach them how to say "Welcome to the Kingdom of Thailand"

Instead of their attitude do not bother me? Has any one here on this forum ever been welcome that way?

I was welcome that way to my latest trip to China and Vietnam! Communist countries can welcome me that way.

What happen to the Land of Smiles? :)

Edited by hardy1943

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

i spent songkran in Bangkok didnt see a red shirt dont let it worry you if you dont go looking for them you should be ok and seeing all the protests in Bangkok Pattaya should be safe.A good friend of mine had 2 weeks Pattaya from the 8th of this month no problems.Im in Boracay Phillipines at the moment fly back to Bangkok the 7th the only thing will stop me is a civil war on the streets

:):D

One night in Bangkok make a hard man humble!

Not much between despair and ecstasy.

One night in Bangkok, and the tough guys tumble!

Can't be too careful with your company.

I can feel the devil walkin' next to me.

:D:D

and thats just at the airport waiting to leave! just get on that plane and enjoy the ride.wild horses would n't keep me away.

'safe' and 'Pattaya' in the same sentence is an oxymoron at any time isn't it!

This farang will be taking his business elsewhere. To Malaysia and Philippines for a change this year and my USD 10k spending money. Not much but bottom line Thailand doesnt get it. Clean up your act Thailand, no one wants to go on hols and get killed or suffer inconvenience because of these stupid Red shirts wasting everyones time.

I firmly believe this whole thing has nothing to do with politics, thats a good excuse though.

Who in their right mind would come now?

I'd have no problem flying to KL, then Langkawi and on to paradise...

''Langkawi" paradise!!!!! You have obviously never been there before.

It says "then Langkawi and on to paradise..."

the biggest problem for people wanting to come to Thailand, especailly fom Europe, is the fact they will have no insurance from a foreign insurer once they arrive. This is pretty big. OK, so with every paid for tourist visa you receive up to US£10k insurance, but is that enough should you need to be ex-patriated? I think not. How do you receive this insurance? Any further info any of you have would be greatly received.

The British FCO stating you should not visit any part of Thailand unless an emergency is also huge. I am sure that a lot of Governments will soon follow suit. I have heard that the FCO in the UK are contacting people who are travelling to Thailand in the near future to find out more details about their trip and to asses if it is actually necessary! That is crazy, in my opinion.

I also have it on very good authority that various leading travel companies across Europe are suspending all booked trips to Thailand and are suspending the sale of any further trips to Thailand for the next six weeks.

this is going to have a huge impact on the figures quoted by the TAT. I wonder, when the figure of 20,000 was quoted does that include people arriving from within Thailand to swampy or international arrivals??

I work in the travel sector here in Thailand and this has affected me enormously.

The average number of arrivals is now about 20,000 a day, down from 30,000 prior to the start of protests at the Pan Fah Bridge on March 14, Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa said yesterday.

This is a misleading figure as well - as it is not comparing like with like. One would expect a natural tail off of arrivals as the low season moves in. It would be better to compare daily arrivals this month with daily arrivals this month last year (or an average for this month each year). I would have expected numbers to decline from March to April even with no red-shirts welcoming people to Thailand via the daily news.

Weren't the redshirts in the news last April too? But yes, comparing low season numbers would only make sense, not sensationalism!

First of all they have to train the immigration to smile teach them how to say "Welcome to the Kingdom of Thailand"

Instead of their attitude do not bother me? Has any one here on this forum ever been welcome that way?

I was welcome that way to my latest trip to China and Vietnam! Communist countries can welcome me that way.

What happen to the Land of Smiles? :)

Do you seriously think that's why people are not coming to Thailand? If thats the case then why do so many people go to the USA? Try dealing with with their immigration! I guarantee they are head and shoulders above the Thai's in the 'attitude' stakes.

And i recently returned to Thailand from KL during Songkran. All of the immigration staff were wearing the garish Songkran shirts and the guy who stamped my passport was very happy, very smily and told me to have a lovely holiday in Thailand, even tough i was on a business visa!

I think the posters on ths board generally underestimate the increasing risk of significant danger. Events have escalated and a big confrontation seems likely. What's more there are now sporadic outbreaks in the provinces, not to mention continuing problems in the south. The thing with chaos is that it can bring all sorts of things out of the wordwork. Certainly I've lived here for 5 years now, and at this point I'm starting to feel guarded. I agree though that Pattaya is unlikely to see any riots.

Who is going to reimburse Siam Paragon for one month of lost revenue?

The Government has already committed to do so. I.e. the Thai people will compensate Thai business for all their disruption.

Has a nice symmetry since there are few sectors of Thai society who do not share some of the responsibility for the present situation. Mai bpen lai :)

I had been planning on commenting that I feel so sorry for all those people trying to make an honest buck who will now be that little bit poorer, but on reflection there should be a shared responsibility for fanning the flames of societal breakdown.

In reality, both are reasonably safe. In BKK just stay clear of Silom/Patpong (no loss there for a decade at least) and the area around Siam Square, particularly if you are just there for one night. Take a hotel close to Cowboy - a fair distance form the ruckus.

In Pattay the main risks are the Russians, the lady boys and the moto taxis, not the Reds.

People buy air tickets in advance, and in case you haven't noticed in recent years many tickets are not changeable or a change involves a ridiculous cost. I guess many with these tickets think 'what the heck, it's already paid for might as well use it.' Factor in 'it won't happen to me attitude,' creative visualization (think positive thoughts and they will come true) and plain old arrogance (great line in Nation from the interview with a Patpong tourist "I don't think anything will happen").

This is going to continue for a while, the PM waiting for the red leadership to die of old age, so may as well capitalize.

The reds should set up a Little Issan village at Ratchaprasang, charging admission and selling OTOP stuff and telling of the hard life of living under tyranny in the shadow of an upmarket shopping mall. See the blogs appearing on the web from the tourists relating the stories of woe.

"The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies."

instead of seeking money to promote Thailand as a tourist destination, how about cleaning up the mess first

start with political unrest then get into the scams in other areas such as jewelry scams in Bangkok, taxi and tuk tuks in all tourist areas THEN you can have some money to promote Thailand as a safe and friendly country... which for the most part IS!

i do love this country, and its spoiled by a select few greedy people.

"The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies."

instead of seeking money to promote Thailand as a tourist destination, how about cleaning up the mess first

start with political unrest then get into the scams in other areas such as jewelry scams in Bangkok, taxi and tuk tuks in all tourist areas THEN you can have some money to promote Thailand as a safe and friendly country... which for the most part IS!

i do love this country, and its spoiled by a select few greedy people.

Hear Hear. Bravo to you!

Hardly surprising seeing UK foreign office say 'emergency travel only'

Travel agents no longer allowed to sell holidays to Thailand, have to offer refunds on existing bookings.Travel insurance for Thailand cancelled by the insurance companies if you do insist on coming.

Who in their right mind would come now?

Where did u hear of this? I dont belive it, Not allowed to sell Tours? Who has made it illegal?

Because of insurance. And TO don't sell packages anymore because if it turns out badly, they don't want to face lawsuits.

Travellers can get travel insurance from Thai insurance companies.

OF COURSE TOURISM HAS DROPPED!!

kind of obvious to anyone!

a 30% drop seems kind of normal-low. (i thought a 40% drop would be more on the mark).

and yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Thai hotels/business starts charging HIGHER prices to try to 'make-up' for loss of income! (seems to be the usual logic they use here)

about FREE VISA: are we currently in a period where the visa is not free? when does the free visa start? my last trip to Vientiane I was charged.

The LadyBoys are waiting for you

should be safe, as long as you both wear condoms and lock your valuables away...

and stay off balconies! :)