Visa Run To Laos In Big Bus?

After scouring the internet for visa run companies, I have not found a single one that does the trip in a proper big bus. The few companies I've found that do the run to Vientiane to get a Non-B, use those horrible minivans which I hate so passionately. Are there any companies that use something more comfortable than those the shoe-box death-traps?

I know, I can arrange it all myself, and I'll be booking a sleeper train and doing just that if there are no other options.

As an aside, can anyone please suggest a decent and cheap hotel in Vientiane? Looking for A/C and TV but don't really care about much else as long as it's clean(-ish).

Thanks in advance!

From Bangkok try using Airasia. About 2500 Baht, return. Take the early flight out, apply the same day. Pick up the next day, take the late flight out. Quick and easy.

Edit: This has been proven time and again to work by many people.

Edited by filingaccount

Is that flying to Udon Thani?

The only company that did Visa Run to Laos for the 60 + 30 tourist visa was Jack Golf. After looking at their website, they seem to be doing it only to Cambodia now.

If anyone else is doing it to Laos, please inform some of us.

What about Bus service from Moe Chit to Vientine, Laos for visa.

Is there a bus from Mo chit direct to Vientiane? I only know of direct buses from Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen and Korat. All of these, you will need your Laos Visa before travelling.

I have no problem arranging a Laos visa ahead of time, fortunately I live rather near the Laos Embassy.

I've decided that flying is out - I need to save money - so I was hoping for a nice package trip to cut down on costs and hassle. Hmmm... Those minivans are most horrible when they're full, can any one comment on how many people are generally packed in?

Is there a bus from Mo chit direct to Vientiane? I only know of direct buses from Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen and Korat. All of these, you will need your Laos Visa before travelling.

An entry visa for Laos is NOT required before traveling. Almost all the land entry points between Thailand and Laos, and the two airports at Vientiane and Luang Prabang, have Visa On Arrival for most nationalities.

However, having a visa beforehand does speed up the arrival process somewhat, especially at the Friendship Bridge between Nong Khai and Thanaleng on the Lao end of the bridge. The VOA can take some time if a bus load of foreigners arrives just before you do.

Mac

a semi-frequent traveler to Laos via Nong Khai

There is a visa company which leaves in BIG busses (depending on the number of people going) or ultra modern, foreign sized mini-vans from Sukhumvit 71 twice a week, and they have an 'all in fare'. Transpo, accomodations, some meals, Lao visa, and a double entry thai tourist visa. They leave at night, I think 7:30-8PM and arrive at the border around 5:30-6AM the next morning. The bus stop in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Udon Thani, and Nong Khai, so about every 2-3 hours along the way for 15 minute breaks.

I'm sure if you called the owner whose name is Phillip and is (thai-nese) he'll tell you if you can get a Non-B up there or not. He's quite savvy about the visa situation in Vientiane. He's got the tourist visa dealy down to a well oiled machine, and the people I've sent to him had good experiences, as did I went I went to get my single entry non-o based on retirement.

P/M me if you're interested and I'll give you his website and phone numbers.

As another option you could take the sleeper train straight to Nong Khai and then the other train which crosses friendship bridge into Lao.

Hey folks, thanks for all of your helpful input! This is what I've found so far:

http://www.thaivisarun.com/ - This is the one run by Phillip; the cost is 6,900 for a shared room, including all transport, meals and visa fees. It leaves at 8:30 from Soi 71 on Wed. and Sun. He said he uses big buses when there is enough demand for them, but currently there is not. Apparently the free tourist visas start again on the 11th this month and then he expects a huge flood of people, so he will start running the large coaches again.

http://thaivisaservice.com/ - Slightly cheaper at 6,100B for meals, visa and transport, though I forgot to ask if this is a shared room or not. The vans also leave at 8:30, but from On Nut Tesco.

I'm beginning to lean towards just doing the minivan with a bit of chemical assistance... Might not be so bad, I guess.

Any way, if any one can comment on or compare the quality of service, vehicles, accommodation, rooms or anything else, please let me know! Is it worth spending the extra 700B or so to go with Phillip?

Cheers!

An entry visa for Laos is NOT required before traveling. Almost all the land entry points between Thailand and Laos, and the two airports at Vientiane and Luang Prabang, have Visa On Arrival for most nationalities.

However, having a visa beforehand does speed up the arrival process somewhat, especially at the Friendship Bridge between Nong Khai and Thanaleng on the Lao end of the bridge. The VOA can take some time if a bus load of foreigners arrives just before you do.

Mac

a semi-frequent traveler to Laos via Nong Khai

A visa is required to continue onward using through bus service as they will not wait at the border - and that is what is being discussed.