Water Tower

tatom

Our village water system is in sad shape. I have a bored well with a hand pump that we use for our water needs, but of course its a pain lugging water every day, and we dont get hot water.

ive been thinking about buying an electric pump for the well, but Ive been reading about problems with them. One thing I dont like is the tanks only have a capacity of about 20 litres.

Anyway, Ive been wondering if it might be better to build a tower about 3 meters high and putting a tank up there? I could buy a small pump and switch it on manually when the level is low.

Im just not sure how much pressure there would be. Our house is one story. Does the pressure increase if the tank is higher? Is 3 meters enough for normal use?

Even with a tankstand of that height you will still need a small pressure pump otherwise you wont have enough pressure for a hotel style hot shower.

Since you need a pressure pump anyway just put the tank on the ground and save money.

Your water tower needs to be 2.3 feet above the tap for every pound of pressure you want, so for 10psi you need a 23 foot tower. Remember 1 cubic metre of water weighs a tonne, so you'll be needing a pretty solid tower. Sorry for mixing units, but the first psi to head converter I found uses imperial measure.

A simple demand pump should be able to lift the well water whenever you turn on the tap. You need a foot valve at the end of the well pipe to stop the pump losing its prime, and you'll need to prime the pump on it's first operation (and when the foot valve clogs).

This assumes your well can supply the demand directly. If you have a slow well you'll need a ground level tank, pump from the well to the tank, then a second pressure pump to supply the house.

How high should the water tank be to provide a 60 psi at base of this water tower?

In: Math, Physics, Civil Engineering [Edit categories]

[improve]

138.60ft

2.31ft of water= 1 psi

with this info you would need to have a tank installed at least 60 to 70 feet high to get a decent pressure in the range of 30 psi or 2.2 bar

For more info check out this site:

Water Tank Math

Edited by longball53098

Thanks for the help. Guess Ill scrap the tower idea!

The well has plenty of water. Any suggestions as to pump brands and size? We dont use much water and there is just the two of us. Im sure I can hitch it up myself with a little guidance.

With the pumps with a 20 litre bladder tank, do you pump in the air before or after filling with water?

I want to run the power underground. I see they have grey and yellow conduit here. Either one? Also, do you glue the joints?

You only need power at the pump and that can be next to your house (unless you are talking a really long distance) - don't fool around with underground power runs.

Never had a problem with underground power runs - use the PE pipe, flexible pipe various diameters available, comes in 100m rolls.  Use it to bring the power to my house, back out to the pump & around the 3 rai garden for lighting & external power points.  And we've been through a couple of floods.  Also used for telephone line.

We've got a 12m tower with 2000 lt tank, franklin submersible pump.  Pressure is great to 2 storey house.  Also irrigates 3 rai garden.  No idea what the pressure is, but sprinklers 90m from the tower are fine.  We have 1.5" pipe from the water tower to the house (about 25m), which down sizes to 1" up to the 2nd floor.  Also run a 2" pipe the length of the garden to feed the irrigation system.  The 2" pipe reduces pressure loss from friction.  At ground level, the pressure from that 2" pipe, 90m from the tower is high.  If I connect a 1.5" hose, it's like being a fireman  :)

I've never looked into the maths, I just know I get a lot of pressure.

You only need power at the pump and that can be next to your house (unless you are talking a really long distance) - don't fool around with underground power runs.

Amen.

Run blue plastic suction line to the pump same effort as running the wire.

The shop that sells you the pipe will have the glue. Paint glue on the pipe and inside the joint and twist the assy. firmly together. You may need a screwed joint somewhere in the system to complete the job but the local shop will have it all.

Oh you will need some sort of filter in the suction line. Coarse mesh filter at the bottom should be enough.

Where you buy the pump probably knows someone who can install it for you.

Edited by VocalNeal

Oh you will need some sort of filter in the suction line. Coarse mesh filter at the bottom should be enough.

A disc filter would also do the job. They are easy to install and easy to clean and cheap. Disc filters come with different type of disc to suit your need.

Even with a tankstand of that height you will still need a small pressure pump otherwise you wont have enough pressure for a hotel style hot shower.

Since you need a pressure pump anyway just put the tank on the ground and save money.

Put the tank some meters up.You might loose the E- power now and then :)

Put the tank some meters up.You might loose the E- power now and then :)

That was my thoughts exactly. I would always have an elevated tank for those power outages. A cold shower is better than no shower.

And you still have your bum guns and toilets.

Put the tank some meters up.You might loose the E- power now and then :D

That was my thoughts exactly. I would always have an elevated tank for those power outages. A cold shower is better than no shower.

And you still have your bum guns and toilets.

Yes

:) ..Go for it..It wont cost you a fortune (we are in Thailand ) :D

We've got a 12m tower with 2000 lt tank, franklin submersible pump.  Pressure is great to 2 storey house.  Also irrigates 3 rai garden.  No idea what the pressure is, but sprinklers 90m from the tower are fine.  We have 1.5" pipe from the water tower to the house (about 25m), which down sizes to 1" up to the 2nd floor.  Also run a 2" pipe the length of the garden to feed the irrigation system.  The 2" pipe reduces pressure loss from friction.  At ground level, the pressure from that 2" pipe, 90m from the tower is high.  If I connect a 1.5" hose, it's like being a fireman  :)

I've never looked into the maths, I just know I get a lot of pressure.

Most likely the Franklin pump. If it is a 1&1/2 hp. it will flay skin off the bone . Even the .75 hp is very strong. The elevation just adds a trickle as the equations in the post reveal how little the elevation helps except to provide a small amount of water when power goes off.