Bangkok: Red-Shirts Storm Chulalongkorn Hospital

webfact

Reds storm hospital

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_16684.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In another brazen and controversial move, more than 200 red-shirt guards stormed into Chulalongkorn Hospital last night to check if there were soldiers inside the hospital buildings.

The hour-long incident at the hospital, which is located right next to the red-shirt rally site, was monitored closely on Twitter and triggered a storm of criticism within the social media community.

Hospital director Dr Adisorn Patradul initially refused to let the members of the anti-government Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD) into the complex.

However, a source said Adisorn gave in after DAAD co-leader Payap Panket, wanted by police for his role in the tumultuous red campaign, insisted that he be allowed to inspect the area.

Although Adisorn only allowed Payap, five red-shirt guards and reporters to come in, scores of other red-shirt guards poured into the hospital buildings as soon as the door was opened.

During their search, watched by bewildered nurses and doctors, the red-shirt guards seized two men and brought them to the DAAD stage at the Rajprasong intersection. The two were later released after they told the red shirts they were just workers.

The red-shirt guards stopped their search at the hospital at around 8.30pm, but only after police stepped in to negotiate. During the talks, the wanted man Payap was just inches away from the senior officers taking part in the negotiations.

The talks ended with an agreement for the red-shirt guards to be allowed to check the hospital again today. This prompted angry responses from Twitter users monitoring the incident, who described the police action as shameful.

After the red shirts left the hospital, big bangs were heard, creating new tension. But it was later reported to be the mere explosion of firecrackers.

The red-shirt guards' raid of Chulalongkorn Hospital came despite a plea from the Medical Council of Thailand earlier in the day asking the anti-government protesters to keep at least 100 metres away from hospitals.

Besides Chulalongkorn Hospital, the anti-government rally site is also close to the Police General Hospital.

Even before yesterday's raid, Chulalongkorn Hospital had already announced it would close medical services for outpatients at Phor Por Ror and Sor Kor building today.

Medical Council president Dr Somsak Lohlekha said the council had issued a statement asking all parties to respect the work of medical workers at Police General Hospital and Chulalongkorn Hospital.

He said Chulalongkorn Hospital had already stopped receiving new patients while Police General Hospital had transferred patients to buildings that were farther away from the demonstration.

"We are now asking the protesters to step back and not to block the entrance to the hospital. They should not interfere in the operations of medical workers by entering and searching the hospital," he said.

Somsak said the council had issued this statement because it did not want protesters or other parties to use hospitals as a shield for political purposes.

"I hope red-shirt leaders, like Dr weng Tojirakarn, will understand our purpose. No demonstration in any country in the world uses hospital premises to defeat the opposition," he said.

"People are not allowed to honk a horn when they pass a hospital but the demonstrators use loudspeakers every day," he added.

Meanwhile Dr Suphachai Kunarattanapreuk, a committee member of the council, pleaded with the protesters to stay at least 100 metres away from these two hospitals.

Adisorn said the hospital has also issued a second statement, announcing to the public that the hospital will today close its outpatient and inpatient units.

The hospital has already moved all patients from Phor Por Ror and Sor Kor buildings to other buildings near Henri Dunant Road.

The hospital also suspended surgery for emergency patients and has temporarily stopped receiving patients from other hospitals.

The special clinic will be closed from today until Sunday. The emergency unit is still open. Meanwhile all classes for medical students will be closed today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the UDD is endangering the lives of innocent patients with their actions??? What in the world...?????

Just imagine how the patients feel when their process of healing is interrupted by a gang of mobsters who are looking for any soldiers. Seniors, children, pregnant women....

Taking over a hospital is going too far.... How can this ever happen??? :)

EDIT: and then they were pleading the EU commission for support the day before,... ??? If I were an official in the EU, I would tell those so called leaders to kiss my A$$$$

Edited by george
Formatting /admin

on the very same day the reds sent a begging letter to the EU commissioner in Bangkok asking for European farangs to come to the rescue of the poor downtrodden and government persecuted Thai reds, the reds invade a hospital in direct contravention of the Geneva convention

The reds have no business inspecting hospitals. I hope they didn't bring guards infected with H1n1 to do it. Soldiers don't need to hide in the hospital, they are all over downtown openly. How long do we have to put up with reds intimidating doctors, business people, politicians and anyone who dares to walk down a street or drive on a highway? They do not represent all of Thailand, and no one has appointed them to inspect anything. I'm tired of their self righteous attitude and their total disrespect for their fellow citizens. Time they went home, were sent home, or were put in prison.

THAILAND FINALLY HAS A WORLD CLASS ENTRY

It seems that Thailand now has 2 entries in best in the world category

1. The stupid , ignorant, jerks in the redshirt movement who stooped so low as to search this hospital ..... Good chance of winning GOLD for 1st place in Stupidity Category

2. The worthless Bangkok Police Department personnel [can't in all honestly call them policemen] who stood by and just chitchated with the lawbreakers . Don't even know what category they are competing in, but no doubt 1st place GOLD for forgetting what their jobis , other than collecting tea money or no helmet monies....

These police are without a doubt the No 1 NATIONAL DISGRACE

:)

....late entry..... the police Sgt Maj who laughingly states he is not a redshirt, but just selling arms. Happy , smiling, laughing on TV as if he were a rock star......... rocks in his head maybe...... one of Bangkoks finest......and to think there are people fighting to be National Police Chief ????? Wanting this is like wanting to catch the plague.....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Disgraceful actions taken by the reds! I support the need for change and new elections but this is ridiculous!

I think things will only get worse from now on as the reds push harder to get rid of PM.

THAILAND FINALLY HAS A WORLD CLASS ENTRY

It seems that Thailand now has 2 entries in best in the world category

1. The stupid , ignorant, jerks in the redshirt movement who stooped so low as to search this hospital ..... Good chance of winning GOLD for 1st place in Stupidity Category

2. The worthless Bangkok Police Department personnel [can't in all honestly call them policemen] who stood by and just chitchated with the lawbreakers . Don't even know what category they are competing in, but no doubt 1st place GOLD for forgetting what their jobis , other than collecting tea money or no helmet monies....

These police are without a doubt the No 1 NATIONAL DISGRACE

:)

dont forget synchronised dog scratching! They would definitely win gold for this!! paws down!

Look, I'm not one to support the Thai police, but what were they going to do in this situation? They were outnumbered by a huge amount. They tried to defuse the situation and worked out a reasonable agreement with the reds (just 5 people going inside).

Of course the reds didn't honor their agreement and stormed in when the hospital opened the doors to let the 5 in. But again, what could a handful of police have done?

Had they tried to arrest Payap Panket, they would have likely kicked off a riot which would have spilled over into the hospital.

I think in this situation, they did the best they could have done under the circumstances.

Anyone remember the years ago book by Dale Carnegie, "How to Win Friends & Influence People"

Boy, someone could make a million dollars with that book here, if only these jerks were not too stupid and ignornant to read.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

When the BTS track was disabled, the red shirt leaders immediately said "We didn't want this, these protestors were acting on their own." and ordered the removal of the tyres which took effect immediately.

So what do we make of their silence on the other worrying actions, such as the storming of the hospital when the director had finally agreed to let five of them in? or the man in their midst with a gun in the Don Muang incident, or the group of armed gunmen in their midst on April 10th? Were these actions sanctioned by the leadership? If not, why have they not condemned them as contrary to their aims of peaceful protest on behalf of a large disenfranchised minority?

Look, I'm not one to support the Thai police, but what were they going to do in this situation? They were outnumbered by a huge amount. They tried to defuse the situation and worked out a reasonable agreement with the reds (just 5 people going inside).

Of course the reds didn't honor their agreement and stormed in when the hospital opened the doors to let the 5 in. But again, what could a handful of police have done?

Had they tried to arrest Payap Panket, they would have likely kicked off a riot which would have spilled over into the hospital.

I think in this situation, they did the best they could have done under the circumstances.

Could we make a guess that you have a relative on this special force????

You ask what could they do >>>>>> ???? the answer is very simple.....THEIR JOB..... If they had to they pull their gun and put it to Payap's head and ORDER the MOB Out and to disperse...... what do you think they are suposed to dol...... let all thieves rob all jewlery store, because there are so many of them.....

They took a job as police, to serve and protect....... not just collect tea money if it is enough that is..... and to threaten those who they themselves think are weaker...... for heaves sake don't get into a situation where you could get hurt or a boo boo.

During their search, watched by bewildered nurses and doctors, the red-shirt guards seized two men and brought them to the DAAD stage at the Rajprasong intersection. The two were later released after they told the red shirts they were just workers.

Words fail me sometimes. This is blatent terrorism in the true sense of the word. Inducing terror into the staff and patients at a respected hospital. Virtually no intervention from the police, who seem to think it is a big joke. I have never advocated violence, but the sooner these thugs are cleared off the streets, the better.

I'm curious, what was the point of this? I mean, there's like 50,000+ soldiers and police officers all over the streets of Bangkok right now, and the red shirts for some reason decided they're worried as to whether or not a hospital has a couple dozens soldiers in it?

Why the spectacle?

I'm curious, what was the point of this? I mean, there's like 50,000+ soldiers and police officers all over the streets of Bangkok right now, and the red shirts for some reason decided they're worried as to whether or not a hospital has a couple dozens soldiers in it?

Why the spectacle?

The Reds are paranoid. Apparently the hospital is in a strategic position overlooking their encampment and if you post sentinels on the top of the building you could rain hel_l down onto the red shirt guards. I think I read that somewhere.

Red Leaders Disapprove of Payap's Raid of Chulalongkorn Hospital Webfact

Left hand/right again.

Are these morons totally out of control - what spontaneous, non-sanctioned, action will we see next from some red shirt hot-head determined to make a name for himself.

Words fail me sometimes. This is blatent terrorism in the true sense of the word. Inducing terror into the staff and patients at a respected hospital. Virtually no intervention from the police, who seem to think it is a big joke. I have never advocated violence, but the sooner these thugs are cleared off the streets, the better.

The outrage expressed on this thread is understandable. That is why Abhisit must do something more then just allow the reds to set up their own little city within Bangkok. The reds do not listen to logic, or have reason or empathy. They are crazed, a bit desperate and are showing their true belligerant, primitive upcountry "true colors."

I find it funny that when the government does

anything to try stop the madness the red siding

members on Thai Visa are all over it.

When the red siding group uses violent tactics

to terrorize somewhere or some people in Bangkok

there is no red siding Thai Visa members posting on

the these threads.

Which group of thugs, red or brown!?

Red Leaders Disapprove of Payap's Raid of Chulalongkorn Hospital Webfact

Left hand/right again.

Are these morons totally out of control - what spontaneous, non-sanctioned, action will we see next from some red shirt hot-head determined to make a name for himself.

Of course these morons are out of control! That has been the whole point, this is NOTHING new. First it was money, but now it is not democracy that is driving them, it is the thrill of conquest and excitement of stirring up trouble. This is what people do when normally all they do is sit on a hill and watch rice grow and complain about how unfairly the world has treated them.

Woo the Red Shirts are also very confused that why the Government is not using the Army. Every day the become more and more paranoid why no one cares about them anymore

Yes, paranoid and barbaric... unfortunately we have to treat them as barbarians, but we are treating them as normal law abiding citizens.

No excuse for going into a hospital. Disgusting action and the police allowing them to search again today is also disgusting.

The reds are now verging on facism. They should make an immediate publ;ic apology and promise not to doi such a thing again.

Totally indefensible

Which group of thugs, red or brown!?

dam_n, we need a color chart to tell the groups apart! You know how Thais love to create tribes. Look at the number of different political parties... pretty soon we will have the indigo shirts, and carmel shirts... it will be worse than Baskin Robbins times ten!

I do not condone what they did, because the reds are barbaric. But we are treating them respectfully and as law abiding citizens...

What happened to the so called "blockade" the army was setting up around Ratchaprasong? It looks like a sieve! Why I could street peddle grenades and rockets on my cart in there and no one would arrest me!

Frankly, by trying to please everyone, Abhisit is pleasing no one.... brings back nightmares of the incompetent Chuan Leek Pai administration, where he talked us all to sleep and did nothing to improve the country.

Debators and lawyers make lousy leaders, in general.

Disgusting action and the police allowing them to search again today is also disgusting.

Yeah, it's one of those things that you have to read a few times over, before it sinks as reality, eh?

Imagine if a couple hundred protesters stormed a hospital in our home countries? I don't think the police would let them know it's ok to come back the next day, and storm the hospital again.