Learning To Drive In The Left Hand Side Of The Road.

gudtymchuk

I'm curious to know how easy it is to adjust to driving on the left hand side of the road and with an auto with steering wheel on the right side. I've been to Thailand several times but never tried driving. Would appreciate any advice from those who made the switch after moving to Thailand.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first time I drove on the wrong side of the road :) was when I took a vehicle for a test drive in Chiang Mai. I told the sells man this after we returned to the show room. He is still in the ICU at the hospital. :D No problem just go do it. Rember you will have flash backs. :D

First time I went to Saudi Arabia in the mid 70s I was given a brand new Chevy P/U truck,A/c sterio radio,extra fuel tanks ect (all petro was FREE of course)...the lot ...real bees knees Jobby.....luvly

First thing i noticed ...supprise supprise the steering wheel was in the wrong place...just like those old americian films that we used to watch as kids....its on the WRONG SIDE :)

5 minutes later I was off and NO Problems.

Spent the next couple of years driving up to Kuwait,Jedda Riyadh,Yemen....et all......including some time later a quick exit from Iraq...another story..

So..Dont worry it comes Naturally......all the best ... :D

Learning to drive on the left is not going to be a problem, heep in mind that the steering wheel is still close to the center line as a result it is quite easy to adapt.

I have more of a problem with wipers and light switch LOL

The real issue here is the difference in driving culture this will take a lot of getting use to

I wrote a little paper on driving here check it out

www.lifeofriley.org

I learnt to drive in right hand drive cars and since then I’ve driven in left and right hand drive countries for over 30 years.

On my first visit to a country that drove on the other side I had to keep reminding myself what side of the road to drive on but found it didn’t take long to adjust. Nowadays I can be driving left hand drive one day and right hand drive the next and it comes as second nature.

My initial hiccups included trying to exit car parks in the wrong lane and nearly entering divided freeways on the wrong side as I entered from side roads. Even after all these years I still occasionally forget where I am and open the car door only to find the steering wheel is on the other side.

I didn't find it particularly difficult. The only proiblem I find the first couple of days when adjusting is if I drive into empty roads without any traffic. Then, in some cases, I might get confused a few seconds as to what side I should be on, but where there is traffic you will quickly find it just as natural as driving on the right side.

With regards to manual gear that was also not a problem, since you will quickly realise that there really iss no room for error there, since you are sitting so close to the right side in the car.

The biggest problem, but only limited to beeing annoying, was really to adjust the automatic reflexes you use to switch on the yellow blinker lights, indicating what side you are going to turn - In so many cases I have turned on the whiskers instead...

Other than that, it will only take you a few days to feel totally comfortable with it, since the same rules apply to you, except its all opposite.

Try it and see how you feel. Maybe not go to the most trafficated area the first time.

And last, after driving here for some time and getting really comfortable with it you will find it almost equally difficult (or easy) to master the day you go back to America and start driving on the "wrong" side again.

Other than that - DO NOT EXPECT ANY THAI TO KNOW OR CARE ABOUT TRAFFIC RULES. Drive carefully, and expect that all other persons you are sharing the road with are suicidal lunatics who believe they will just reincarnate the very next day and therefore not care at all. Having this in the back of your head will save your day. Use the horn frequently to make other drivers aware of you, especially people coming out from corners (even if you not see anyone there too) and also in a good distance before you overtake a motorbike so that they will "freeze" their path until you have passed them. This is also what you should expect when using it, I mean that they should freeze. Do not expect any people to signal you about their intentions and do not expect clear signals to be anything other than misleading and false. They can drive for hours with blinkers on, not having any breaking lights, not using headlights in the night etc.

Expect all and nothing!

Edited by galvheim

Buy one of those flashing red mag-mount lights and put it on your car roof - keep it switched on at all times. Wear dark glasses and a baseball cap. Drive as fast as you want and on whatever side of the road that you want. If you hit someone or something, don't even slow down - it's not your fault

:)

Simon

:) It was not that difficult for me, but it wasn't very easy either. I was scared s%3tlessmy first time out. I did not ever drive in BKK in all my 7 years. The hardest part was learning to judge turning driving from the right side of vehicle. I hit a few curbs with left front tire at first. One tricky thing was some of the traffic lights were one lane has to stop but other two go. Just be sure you do get your Thai driving license , and buy the very best insurance you can get, mine was around 15,000 Bt/year. Just take your time and be very careful. You will encounter all manner of motorized contraptions on the road and there is complete traffic anarchy. Be especially prepare for people pulling out in front of you as you will be completely invisible to them. Never ever drive impaired and above all else avoid any road rage conflicts with other drivers.

That's about it.

In fact when I got back to states a few years ago I was scared to drive here I had become so used to driving in Thailand. It will also take you about 6 months before you stop trying to get in the car on the wrong side.

LL

Buy one of those flashing red mag-mount lights and put it on your car roof - keep it switched on at all times. Wear dark glasses and a baseball cap. Drive as fast as you want and on whatever side of the road that you want. If you hit someone or something, don't even slow down - it's not your fault

:)

Simon

You've obviously been living in Phnom Penh.

When I 1st arrived, seating shotgun always scared me when the car was turning 'cos it kept turning into the wrong lane.

When I started riding my motorcycle in the beginning I kept going into the wrong lane. I remember saying that the car approaching was in the wrong lane and hearing my wife say.....you are the idiot in the wrong lane.

By the time i graduated to cars, I was fine. It only takes afew incidence where you are turning into oncoming traffic to get it right.

The main problem was confusing the indicator lights with the wipers. Imagine flicking the indicators only the have the wipers come on!!! :)

Being from the UK I have no problem in Thailand.

When I first got in a 'left hooker' (in Italy) I was pleasantly surprised to find the pedals in the same order (manual box) after a couple of days changing gear with the window winder it all clicked and either side has been no problem since apart from going round a roundabout the wrong way on my return to the UK (after years in Belgium with a UK vehicle).

You'll have no problems on busy roads and highways, it's when you turn on to a country road with no divider you'll land up on the wrong side, oh so easily done :)

The locals will soon put you right (or in hospital).

Bloody dangerous.....

- looking the wrong way for on coming traffic

- careful of turns into other roads - tend to end up on wring side

maybe try a few days first very very early morning with no traffic , ur bound to make a mistake and the difference between crash or no crash is I some one is close by

On holidays in Austria a few yrs back, even after a few days driving , accessed a large road and wiu a sleepy head was automatically was lookin the wrong way...... Lucky no other car coming

It only takes a few incidence where you are turning into oncoming traffic to get it right. :)

The main problem was confusing the indicator lights with the wipers. Imagine flicking the indicators only the have the wipers come on!!! :D

It's easier than you think it will be, I remember when i first drove in Europe (they drive on the right, very odd :D) everything is fine, you sit in the wrong seat but you can see everything and after a few minutes you're cool, I was constantly thinking 'ok, right is left and left is right' and being extra careful. The car wasn't an auto so the gear change wasn't as natural as usual but the pedals were laid out the same so it was easy enough.

It's much easier than driving a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country (or vice versa) 'cos you can see properly

A few people have mentioned the indicator/wiper thing but here in the UK not all cars have the same controls on the same side so when I drove a jap pick up in Thailand, even though it is a right-hand drive like I'm used to, the wipers/indicators were reversed for me, I've had the same experience with one of my mates cars here too, no big deal really.

I would agree that Bangkok may not be the best place to start.

I would suggest either a friend or rent a car and driver and ride around for a while, rather then drive, to get a feel of being on that side of the road and the behavior of other drivers plus notice the turning, lights and signs (those also on the wrong side of the road :) ) When you are comfortable, then switch with them.

maybe try a few days first very very early morning with no traffic , ur bound to make a mistake and the difference between crash or no crash is I some one is close by

I reckon it's easier when there's traffic as you just join in with the flow, it's when there's nothing on the road you switch back to your native ways, then you end up on the wrong side of the road.

I reckon it's easier when there's traffic as you just join in with the flow, it's when there's nothing on the road you switch back to your native ways, then you end up on the wrong side of the road.

Yup, agree 100%.

Did it in Italy on a deserted road, we drove for about 20km before meeting an old lady with a donkey on the 'wrong' side :)

Put yourself in tbe middle of the road. It's that easy. If you're looking down the curb - you've f....ked up. If you're looking down the white line - you;re sweet. Just make sure the passenger side is in the curb e and you cant' go wrong. Unless you're a Brit in France - but I don't think that was the OP's question.Oh, and you give way to traffic from the right. Not always, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Edited by retdson

I learnt to drive in Australia in a right hand drive vehicle, I had never seen snow, I hadn't driven a manual for years...until I arrived in Sweden. Manual, left hand drive car in the middle of winter.

A day or so later I was doing handbrake turns to get into my parking spot at work and having a great time.

You need to keep alert but it really doesn't take long to get used to it, perhaps 100m and then just a few mental reminders every now and then.

I am from Florida, where the weather is warm and the driving is easy. Second time i drove in Thailand, we decided we wanted to go to Bangkok from khon Kaen to do some shopping, so four of as piled up in the Pick Up truck and off we went.The plan was that we would park the truck at a shopping center before we entered BKK and take a taxi from there , do our shopping , take an other taxi back to the truck at the shopping center, and go visit some relatives outside of Bangkok where we will spend the night. As with all the best laid plans of man and mice, this plan did not work quiet as we had planed, we missed the exit to the shopping center entered an elevated highway and ended up at monument square, where I experienced my first traffic circle in Thailand , :) , drove around several times before I was able to get out of it and finally found parking at a Hospital parking lot in the area, we took the sky train, did our shopping and got the he*# out of Bkk :D by the end of that experience I had no problem driving in "wrong side" of the road.

No problem my friend, If I can do it, I am sure anyone can do it.

You'll have an easier time of it than I did the first time back in 1989. At that time it was all but impossible to rent a car with automatic transmission, and I knew that. So back home in the States I took a couple of hours of instruction to learn how to use a stick shift. That is no longer a problem here -- auto transmission for passenger cars is now the norm.

So I go to Avis here in Bangkok (again, in '89) and rent a car, but I tell them I didn't want to start driving in the city. No problem, they give me a driver for free to go from city center to Don Muang, and at that point I will take the wheel and he will take a bus back to city center. Sounds good. So where does the Avis driver stop and get out? In a parking lot at the airport or something like that? No -- he stops right in the middle of the expressway and says, "Bye, bye."

So within about 5 minutes I have to adjust to stick shift, "wrong" side of the road, controls (windshield wiper, turn signals, etc.) being reversed from what I am used to, the rear view mirror being on the opposite side of where I keep looking. It was a nightmare! But by the time we got to Ayutthaya, it was fine.

I think the key is to forget about how you drive in your own country. Adapt to how Thais drive...crazy as it seems, I see far fewer fender benders here than I did living in the Washington, D.C. area. Many traffic laws here (like stopping at a stop sign) almost seem to be more like a suggestion than a law. :)

Have your passport and drivers license with you when you drive.

The biggest problem with driving in Bangkok...which isn't half as bad as I thought it would be...is just not quite knowing how to get places. For expressways you have to sort of forget about route signs (for example, the expressway going to Don Muang is route 31, but there are virtually no signs indicating that...you need to know places -- Bangna, for example). Study your maps well in advance, and take a map with you. Driving upcountry is more relaxing...although you can never quite relax when driving in Thailand. Back in the States I enjoyed going on driving trips because I actually enjoyed driving. Here I enjoy the trips because I enjoy the places I go...but I don't really enjoy (or hate) the driving part.

A couple of other tips:

Holidays are hel_l getting into or out of Bangkok. Best avoided. My partner took 12 hours to get to Nakhon Ratchasima at Songkran holiday -- usually a 4 hour drive.

The best bathrooms are at gas stations!

Oh, and just pay the policeman the fine and shut up about justice. :-)

Before you leave the states try driving on the wrong side of the road (of course in an unpopulated area) this will prepare you mentally at least for a short time. Be careful however because in the states if the police catch you, you will receive a Rodney King beating here in Thailand (as you know) they will assume you know what your doing.

Learning to drive on the left is not going to be a problem, heep in mind that the steering wheel is still close to the center line as a result it is quite easy to adapt.

I have more of a problem with wipers and light switch LOL

The real issue here is the difference in driving culture this will take a lot of getting use to

I wrote a little paper on driving here check it out

www.lifeofriley.org

Agree .If you are and experienced driver it will be of no problem.

Still messing with the wipers and light switch hehe

The driving Culture,Love it :)