The World On Thailand’s Political Crisis

webfact

Western world only loves to see thailand selfdestruct into the dark ages -> cheap labour, export

The actual people who will take delight in cheap labour are much closer to home I'm afraid.

FROM THAI VISA!

"Somchai's relatives dressed in black: Bannawit

Adm Bannawit Kengrien, a former deputy permanent secretary for Defence, posted a message on his Twitter page, saying he has learned that all family members of former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat are now dressed in black.

Bannawit also claimed that his friend, who is a Pheu Thai MPs, received an order that if someone asked him about former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, he would have to reply that he had just talked to Thaksin over the phone."

I think THAKSIN is either gravel ill, or as the above quote from Thai Visa suggests, he is dead. Until I see him on video talking about recent events, he is dead in my opinion... All the Twitter and Facebook postings are so fake. Anyway, that is NOT Thaksin's style...

He did look sick in his last video link... balding chalk white.... hollow eyes... DEAD...... He is DEAD!

Sorry for being a dumbass, but this is one story I can't follow. Suppose Thaksin is ill/dead/whatever, why would this harm the reds' cause? Can anyone explain the thinking here?

Taksin is rather selfish when it comes to making money. It does not surprise me that we don't hear from him when he is hyper chasing the next deal. I suspect the work conditions for Ugandan gold miners is not great, but hey when has Taksin been concerned about ethics and morals? So is he dead? I suspect not, however we are not being told much about his cancer problem.

I felt the article was off the mark right from the opening words "The rift in thai society is getting wider" or words to that effect as I can't be bothered going back to it. Is it?

It seems that most thai people are getting sick and tired of the tyranny that this group are presenting to their home and the international community. Thats gives the opportunity for common ground.

I agree with those that put forward that Thailand is not ready for this illusion of democracy as we think it. Those that need flushed out and "locked down" within the Reds leadership have their model of what it should be and how it is governed as learnt along the Burmese border in the good ole days of the 80's and early 90's when the peasants considered the Army the bigger gangster than the local drug lord. Thailand has what it needs right now. Their is a good glimmer of hope thou for most Thai's to share more of that common ground with the current Prime Minister and Army working together for a while yet.

I have a feeling, that most of the World, really doesn't care about what is going on in Thailand, except for those people, who have a stake in it...those who have family members living or visiting Thailand, Thais living abroad, those who have travel plans to Thailand, owners of name brand and other sweat shops in Thailand, Expats living in Thailand, Historians, and a few others.

Then of course, there are Countries, such as the US, who have strategic interests there, but for the most part, the World just doesn't care.

For the most part, the average person, around the World, is busy, trying to make a living and put food on the table for their families, without much care about what goes on in other Countries, that don't directly affect them.

Many Thais themselves, don't even care. The didn't care about the PAD demonstrating and occupying the airport for a few days and then don't care about Thaksin's group occupying the Bangkok financial district. They care about feeding their families and putting/keeping a roof over their heads.

Us Expats, have the luxury, to sit in front of a computer, to debate politics and ideas. Makes me think of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. We are the lucky ones. I say lucky, because most of us, happened to grow up in a Country, where we didn't have to worry too much, about where our next meal comes from or where we are going to sleep.

"Also, Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon and United States President Barrack Obama were worried about Thailand’s political standoff, fearing that the situation could escalate into what has happened in Africa in the past."

Thereby demonstrating how totally clueless they both are about Thailand, the African continent, and the massive differences in recent strife in the two.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain

I keep in touch with the UK/US press as well as Al Jazeera (in my opinion the best unbiased news source) and some of the Asian publications like New Mandala....it's pretty clear that Thailand isn't exactly high on the list of priorities or newsworthiness in much of the world....the UK is absorbed with the upcoming election, the UK is absorbed with itself, EU is absorbed with Greece's financial meltdown...the Guardian has had a couple of blogs on the subject and one editorial but neither raised much in the way of comments...ditto for the Independent....the Times had an article this week...and the Economist has had a couple of articles...all of the articles/editorials/blogs I read were broadly sympathetic to the idea of elections...what I've been surprised at is the issue of free speech, the world doesn't seem to be aware that all red supporting media have been closed down, but they are not buying into the yellow government propaganda....

The best article by far is in the New Mandala about the Royal Thai Army...it's a well researched article written by people who know something of the complexities of the military relationships...and beats hands down all the simplistic drivel from the yellow blind posters on TVF....

Just what this thread needed- some red propoganda!

link, pls.....

"Also, Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon and United States President Barrack Obama were worried about Thailand’s political standoff, fearing that the situation could escalate into what has happened in Africa in the past."

Thereby demonstrating how totally clueless they both are about Thailand, the African continent, and the massive differences in recent strife in the two.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh, if only politics can be simpler for everyone! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...vel-advice.html

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet, but a short piece on the UK travel advisory, and TAT pretending everything's ok (outside BKK). Which it probably is, but still, you have to wonder whats next, when a McD's gets hit.

It's difficult to say that McDonald's was specifically targeted or that it signals a new strategy of bombing foreign companies. The danger to foreigners comes from the sheer randomness of the events taking place. One cannot predict the location of the next riot or grenade attack. People simply going about normal business are in harms way. Embassies are located around Silom, the latest gun battle was close to an airport on a major road. The first clashes happened steps from Khaosan road. Shopping districts are occupied and the BTS has had numerous problems and closures. The fact is that there are presently much safer places to visit. It is easier for governments to issue travel warnings than to ship coffins home. Tourists often suffer from a lack of good judgment and cannot be trusted to keep away from hotspots. Issuing travel warnings are a way for foreign governments to pressure the Thai government into dealing with this mess.

I keep in touch with the UK/US press as well as Al Jazeera (in my opinion the best unbiased news source) and some of the Asian publications like New Mandala....it's pretty clear that Thailand isn't exactly high on the list of priorities or newsworthiness in much of the world....the UK is absorbed with the upcoming election, the UK is absorbed with itself, EU is absorbed with Greece's financial meltdown...the Guardian has had a couple of blogs on the subject and one editorial but neither raised much in the way of comments...ditto for the Independent....the Times had an article this week...and the Economist has had a couple of articles...all of the articles/editorials/blogs I read were broadly sympathetic to the idea of elections...what I've been surprised at is the issue of free speech, the world doesn't seem to be aware that all red supporting media have been closed down, but they are not buying into the yellow government propaganda....

The best article by far is in the New Mandala about the Royal Thai Army...it's a well researched article written by people who know something of the complexities of the military relationships...and beats hands down all the simplistic drivel from the yellow blind posters on TVF....

I do like Al Jazeera also. But I have seen Thailand coverage every day on both BBC and CNN. In their world report editions. Right there with the oil spill, Brown's problems, Greece, etc.

As for red supporting media being shut down, TiT! But I do agree with the government here that is was basically full of lies and clearly supporting overthrow of the government in a violent manner. I would hope ANY country would shut such a site down. If not, hope someone with brains would do it for them....

Freedom of speech only goes so far. All countries have some restrictions on freedom of speech. Personally I would not consider incitement to violence, calls for an armed revolution, intimidation of the judiciary and encouraging murder to fall within the bounds of freedom of speech. Shutting down these anarchist mouthpieces is a good thing.

If instead the red media could come up with coherant arguements on issues and policies that would beneift society then perhaps they would not be closed down?

"Also, Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon and United States President Barrack Obama were worried about Thailand's political standoff, fearing that the situation could escalate into what has happened in Africa in the past."

Mark Twain

There is a big difference between Thailand and Africa, social, religous, ethical and moral differences are just a few.

What do they mean "in the past", there still is a standoff especially when you see the day to day work environment, a lot of standing around.

The Sunday Bangkok Post, page 3

"Wounded Aussie On Handouts Takes To Red Shirt Stage"

Another red shirt desperate attempt to receive foreign coverage from a credible?? 29 year old with a political science degree;

"An Irish born former Australian military reservist" "claims to have done "quite extensive" work with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) and trained with the Singapore and Malaysia military"

I am sure if you let him talk long enough, he would have served in Afganistan, Iraq, Vietnam and possibly Korea too. Some good script writng on the reds part. They must have had some training in Hollywood.

The article states;

" "You need to take what he says with a big dose of salt" said a source at the Australian embassy. "He's a big noter who gilds the lilly big time" ".

He has been told by the embassy to return home. Good job to do some background checks before printing the article.

I guess I have to hand it to the yellow shirt propaganda machine...when anyone writes a thoughtful factual researched article about an aspect of the conflict and it's conclusion does support the lies from the yellow camp, it becomes red shirt lies....if it is some idle half baked report from the Nation it becomes gospel truth...this is why there is no end to this conflict....

This.

I think that the problem is less a misunderstanding of democracy, and more a general lack of respect for the law...

Also this.

best article that has appeared this year. more like this and problem can better be understand by us.

this is why yellow shirts are quick to say it is lies.

Funny how the best articles are always the ones people agree with. Coincidence i guess.

The Sunday Bangkok Post, page 3

"Wounded Aussie On Handouts Takes To Red Shirt Stage"

Another red shirt desperate attempt to receive foreign coverage from a credible?? 29 year old with a political science degree;

"An Irish born former Australian military reservist" "claims to have done "quite extensive" work with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) and trained with the Singapore and Malaysia military"

I am sure if you let him talk long enough, he would have served in Afganistan, Iraq, Vietnam and possibly Korea too. Some good script writng on the reds part. They must have had some training in Hollywood.

The article states;

" "You need to take what he says with a big dose of salt" said a source at the Australian embassy. "He's a big noter who gilds the lilly big time" ".

He has been told by the embassy to return home. Good job to do some background checks before printing the article.

He sounds like some dude I met in a bar the other night :)

Hi can someone please give me the link to the New Mandala article.

Thanks !

Which one? This one?

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...-officer-corps/

best article that has appeared this year. more like this and problem can better be understand by us.

There's a hint of truth in almost all journalism. Very little substantiation of facts in most articles however, as is the case here. This just allows people to see what they want to see and never question their previously held beliefs, no matter how untenable they may be.

Edited by lannarebirth

Funny how the best articles are always the ones people agree with. Coincidence i guess.

I thought it was a great article. The website seems to be run by some fairly competent folks. What was presented sure made sense to me. Is it 100% the truth? No way. Nothing ever is...especially with Thai politics!!!!!

The article said: It could be said that our democracy is just a “knock-off” of the British model and superficially revolves around an electoral process, while there is still the lack of a profound understanding of democratic principles including duties and responsibilities of citizens in addition to their fundamental rights.

This is part of the problem, Thais not understanding their personal responsiblity of the democratic process. Yes, protesting freely is part of democracy, but you still have to follow the ordances and guidelines for a demonstration; next voting "smart" is another responsibility of a citizen which means you do not vote for a candidate because you are "bribed". I can remember taking civic classes when I was in school which educated me what a democracy was. I wonder if the Thai schools teach what responsibilities one has living in a democracy and how it works? (I doubt it)

(After living in 5 different countries) I sometimes think a "developing" country is not ready for a "true" democracy, but it takes a firm hand to get things on the right track.(which means a strong leader wanting the best for his country-not a "thug") Look at Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore...these countries did not start as a democracy... Today they have their own "form" of democracy. I think as citizens of a country becomes more affluent and educated, then a "true" democracy can prosper. Unlike my American friends back home, I truly feel China some day will a "democracy" as it becomes developed. It cannot happen over night (look at what happened to Russia).

Toenail,

I think that the problem is less a misunderstanding of democracy, and more a general lack of respect for the law...if the rich and powerful elite are seen to be above the law, why would the poor respect it? For laws to be seen to be legitimate they have be seen to apply to everybody and to be impartial applied and enforced...in Thailand the law seems to be applied selectively; the judiciary do not give the appearance of impartiality; and enforcement is spotty at best....

Too true. I agree and well said!