Price For Land On The Darkside

proximity

I've often seen land advertised on the board in Carefour & foodland, in the Pong area for 7 to 800,000 bht per rai.

Pong is basically the other side of the lake?

Im sure there is land in the Hua-Yai area at around 5 to 600,000 bht per rai, but you may have to buy 3 or 4 rai or more at a time?

A case of driving around & looking for signs on land, then get your Thai companion to phone up asking the price.

The nearer you come to town the more your have to pay!!!

good luck

've often seen land advertised on the board in Carefour & foodland, in the Pong area for 7 to 800,000 bht per rai.

Pong is basically the other side of the lake?

That would either be Pong on the other side of the 36 Highway (about 2 km away from the Lake), or closer to the lake but in an area where no electricity has been installed yet.

In most of the side sois around Lake Mabprachan expect to pay between 900,000 Baht/rai up to 1,7 million/rai.

Lakeside there is land available I think starting at 2 million Baht/rai.

Indeed, a half rai plot will come out at the expensive side of the price range, 2 or more rai plots will be much cheaper per rai...Remember, in most of the area here you have to own the land over 3 years before you can split it in smaller patches...

The further away you move out from the Pattaya area (Nong Plalai and behind towards the North, or Huay Yai and behind towards the South) the cheaper land will become...

The further away you move out from the Pattaya area (Nong Plalai and behind towards the North, or Huay Yai and behind towards the South) the cheaper land will become...

My plan is to start looking around Huay Yai.

Edited by proximity

My plan is to start looking around Huay Yai.

I guess I've been in the "Dark Side" too long, I wish you luck trying to find 1 Rai, alone for less than 1 million anywhere in the Pattaya area, Pong & Huay Yai included. Then again I know where you can buy a 2 or 3 Rai package for 650K bht/Rai, problem being its 2 kms off the main road, no power, no good road.

• 9 months later...

Anyone have any up to date info or ideas on the price of land on the Darkside?

Is this stuff selling and if so for what prices?

I am particularly interested in the Huai Yai area as am looking at 1 Rai on a main road not so far from the temple.

Also earlier in this thread monty stated "Remember,most of the area here you have to own the land over 3 years before you can split it in smaller patches..."

Is this true?

If so cannot the current owner split it up first then sell me the multiple plots?

Many thanks

Edited by kevkev1888

If so cannot the current owner split it up first then sell me the multiple plots?

Don't forget that if you do that (and I'm not saying it's possible, I don't know if it is or not) then you would be increasing the transfer of ownership fees ( ค่าโอน) 'multiple' times as well. And that could get expensive.

I would be interested even a little further out than the Darkside. 1 Rai some 20 KM outside of Pattaya would be perfect for me. I know land- prices depend on a lot of different factors, but if anyone takes occasional trips outside of Pattaya and spots "for sale" signs with price, I would appreciate it if one could give me some feedback. Can also PM me.

Thanks & cheers.

I spent six months looking and eventually gave up. Anything under 1m/rai is either 20km out of town or in a terrible location. Sellers will not budge one inch on price. Most of the sellers weren't told that a farang was involved.

All the land I was interested in still seems for sale. Pattaya is ok but is not worth it at 1.5m or more per rai.

And why should they budge in price unless they are strapped for money? There is a limited amount of land in and around Pattaya. Much of it bought on speculation. Some of it bought 'dirt' cheap (much of the land on the dark side was purchased for about 200,000 baht/rai 6 years ago). No expenses and next to nothing in Taxes (taxes on 2 rai is about 80 baht/year). The transfer tax goes down the longer they own the land. The longer they wait the more money in the bank. Better than a savings account.

Edited by BB1950

There are two lots for sale just across the street of my property. This is abut opposite

of Lotus in south pattaya. About 3 minute drive to Lotus/Makro/Big C. Both plots are

*about* one rai. Prices are *about* 10K baht per sq. wah.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

rudi

There are two lots for sale just across the street of my property. This is abut opposite

of Lotus in south pattaya. About 3 minute drive to Lotus/Makro/Big C. Both plots are

*about* one rai. Prices are *about* 10K baht per sq. wah.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

rudi

That would bring it to about 4'000'000 BHT per RAI.

Cheers.

I've noticed that presently the land around Huai Yai is running about 1.5 million baht/rai to 3 million baht/rai. Of course it's a lot cheaper where there is no electricity/roads, mostly very large plots (over 10 rai). Much of the land along Huai Yai road is not for sale. It was purchased mostlly by Bangkokians for speculation and is only for rent.

Interesting, I had a talk with the lady who owned my plot. About 30 years ago, her father bought the land (over 100 rai) for just 15,000 baht! She only sells small plots (1-2 rai) when she needs some money, but she will not discount. I would estimate that she still owns more than 50 rai of that land. Her brothers and sisters have already sold off all their inheritance and have no money left.

Edited by BB1950

BB1950 that is exactly what I have noticed in Huai Yai on down into Bang Sare, plenty of 10 Rai plus for sale but nothing in the way of 1/2 to 1 Rai

Thanks swissie that is what I came up with but didn't want to re-question the Thai Girl on the Sq wah to rai conversion

This whole situation will not change until the government steps in and forces these speculators to develop it or be taxed big time, but I am afraid pigs will fly before that happens

I purchased a plot on the darkside in about 2003/4, about 1.75 rai, paid just under 1.5 million. I split it in 2 and sold a plot 18 months later and I nearly recouped my money. Built on the other plot I kept, nice house. Good location. I reckon a decent plot is now about 2 million up with water and elec.

Splitting tha land is easy to do also, just go to the land office and they do it for you, issue you the new Chanots and away you go, cheap back then to do also, have no idea of the price now but more I guess like everything.

Good luck.

BB1950 that is exactly what I have noticed in Huai Yai on down into Bang Sare, plenty of 10 Rai plus for sale but nothing in the way of 1/2 to 1 Rai

Thanks swissie that is what I came up with but didn't want to re-question the Thai Girl on the Sq wah to rai conversion

This whole situation will not change until the government steps in and forces these speculators to develop it or be taxed big time, but I am afraid pigs will fly before that happens

I spent six months looking and eventually gave up. Anything under 1m/rai is either 20km out of town or in a terrible location. Sellers will not budge one inch on price. Most of the sellers weren't told that a farang was involved.

All the land I was interested in still seems for sale. Pattaya is ok but is not worth it at 1.5m or more per rai.

I have a contact(Thai) that not only lives in the area mentioned, but works in the business of buying/selling land/premises.

They have a 'special' arrangement so that they get first offer on 'Repo's' and I have seen some first hand, so this is not BS.

PM me if interested.

No. i did it very soon after.

^^^You didn't have to wait 3 years before splitting then.

Ever heard of that?

That rule became law only around 2006 I think and was part of the then created zoning map.I know because I bought 5 Rai in Pong during that time and it would take me 12 years to have it split up into 9 plots.I was lucky I could sell it again as a whole and with a profit to the same agent from who I bought it.

The rule was created to stop the land speculation by foreigners.

Ever heard of that?

That rule became law only around 2006 I think and was part of the then created zoning map.I know because I bought 5 Rai in Pong during that time and it would take me 12 years to have it split up into 9 plots.I was lucky I could sell it again as a whole and with a profit to the same agent from who I bought it.

Hmm

A bit of a worry as I am looking at a little under 1 Rai in Huai Yai, I would want to split it into 3 plots.

How would I find out for sure before purchase?

Just go to the land office with a copy of the Chanot and ask?

I know the current owner has had the land for more than 3 years.

I have a contact(Thai) that not only lives in the area mentioned, but works in the business of buying/selling land/premises.

They have a 'special' arrangement so that they get first offer on 'Repo's' and I have seen some first hand, so this is not BS.

PM me if interested.

I would send you a PM but doesn't seem to be available on your profile page?

Ever heard of that?

Hmm

A bit of a worry as I am looking at a little under 1 Rai in Huai Yai, I would want to split it into 3 plots.

How would I find out for sure before purchase?

Just go to the land office with a copy of the Chanot and ask?

I know the current owner has had the land for more than 3 years.

The landoffice is probably the only one who can give you a correct answer,but you still will have to talk to the right person in the department.If it falls in that zoning you will be able to split it once every 3 years,that means 3 plots takes you 6 years.

Personally I think that zoning was particular for the Lake Mabprachan area so Hua yai would be fine.

I can't remember exactly but my wife thinks it was in 2005 as we bought the land approx October 2004 so i would say march/April 2005 it was split into tow. Went to the land office, filled a form out and paid a fee, not too much, they then went to the land to measure and split it in 2 equal pieces and about 2 weeks later issued new chanotes. It was very easy but no knowledge now.

I divided my plot which was over 2 1/4 rai in Huai Yai, that I purchased in April 2005, into 5 plots in May 2007. One plot was given to the Government for a public road and I received 4 Chinotes (each showing the public road). There wasn't any problem and I was unaware of any law requiring the wait for 3 years before the land could be divided. It was a long wait (about 6 months) and wasn't all that expensive. The only restriction that I learned of was that there was limit to the number of Chinotes that could be in my company's name (I think it was 9).

I then sold one plot a few months later with no problem. The buyer paid all transfer costs so I can't advise, but it was minimal as the transfer fees were lowered by the Government to 0.1% to encourage sales. It was a plot that was 160 sq wah. It sold 2 weeks after I placed a couple ads on the internet. The other plots I have no intention of selling anytime soon, even though I get many offers to buy them.

The best answer would be to check with the land office for the current situation.

Edited by BB1950

Two potential problems that buyers considering Huay Yai should be aware of.

Huay Yai enforces the local tax on buildings owned by companies (irrespective of Thai/farang ownership). This is only charged on buildings (not the same as the minimal tax on land over 1 rai), is in addition to the annual Thai company tax return, is based on the assessed rental value, is the company's responsibility to declare (not the authority's responsibility to demand), and is chargeable in arrears (with compounded interest); in some cases owners can owe hundreds of thousands of baht (or considerably more) and many don't even know it. Any tambon can charge the tax if they want to, although most appear to be in no particular hurry to do so - according to the officer responsible in Huay Yai they know the details of "thousands" of such properties in Huay Yai and they are slowly but steadily collecting the taxes.

Huay Yai is not called Huay Yai (the Big Muddy is a loose translation) for nothing. Much of the land needs landfill to avoid flooding and this can prove expensive. Two rai near me was sold to a Swiss, then a Brit and now an Italian; less than half has been filled so far and to fill it all sufficiently will cost about twice as much as the land. A German nearby ignored my advice about his land and the stream bordering it, and built his house and swimming pool in the dry season after he thought he had raised the level sufficiently; after the first heavy rain the stream overflowed straight into the pool and in the back door. The rice paddies may look very nice, but they are hardly ideal places to build a house!

• 2 weeks later...