Thai Gov't Renews Threat Of Force Against Red-Shirts Protesters

webfact

Sangwan said it was unclear who shot her husband. "But if Abhisit hadn't ordered the dispersal operation, my husband would not have died," she said.

I especially like this "logic." If your husband wasn't part of an illegal "protest" that was ordered dispersed under an emergency decree, by the internationally recognized Government of Thailand, he wouldn't have died...

And if you didnt walk on the sidewalk when I drove there after a couple of ten bears, you wouldnt die either. In situations like this it is the international practice Mr Abhisit talks so much about that the more powerfull side - the state - also hold responsibility when pure incompetence and amateurship is shown in handling a crisis.

Did you see any european countries send armed soldiers against protesters on Mai 1st? No?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Government must be seen as that they tried their utmost to prevent innocent blood being spilled during the final push.

To this end ,I would issue a deadline warning saying the assault will begin in 48 hours , block all exit and entrances to the red "village" and provide buses ,travel expenses, food etc to those who wish to return to their homes. Allow the rank and file to leave and arrest any people wanted on arrest warrants to be apprehended and dealt with.

It may just sort out the chaff from the straw.

The Government must be seen as that they tried their utmost to prevent innocent blood being spilled during the final push.

To this end ,I would issue a deadline warning saying the assault will begin in 48 hours , block all exit and entrances to the red "village" and provide buses ,travel expenses, food etc to those who wish to return to their homes. Allow the rank and file to leave and arrest any people wanted on arrest warrants to be apprehended and dealt with.

Just reading the Twitter msgs flying by, the speculated plan is use any time between now and the 5th to warn protesters and provide what you mentioned (including free replacement ID's!). Ops will begin after the coronation celebrations on the 5th.

All complete speculation mind.

Sangwan said it was unclear who shot her husband. "But if Abhisit hadn't ordered the dispersal operation, my husband would not have died," she said.

I especially like this "logic." If your husband wasn't part of an illegal "protest" that was ordered dispersed under an emergency decree, by the internationally recognized Government of Thailand, he wouldn't have died...

And if you didnt walk on the sidewalk when I drove there after a couple of ten bears, you wouldnt die either. In situations like this it is the international practice Mr Abhisit talks so much about that the more powerfull side - the state - also hold responsibility when pure incompetence and amateurship is shown in handling a crisis.

Did you see any european countries send armed soldiers against protesters on Mai 1st? No?

Did you see any May day protestors armed with military weapons? No ?

^and who will assault red city? If you think the military will then I think you will be in for a shock. :)

They assaulted red Vipawadi. It was only red for a few hours.

(Or a few minutes if we're going on the longevity of their leaders!)

With some reds now saying that Thaksin paid disgruntled military figures to shoot, kill, and create mayhem, then it really falls on him. Perhaps suing the the criminal fugitive in hiding would be a better plan.

Was badly handled . Seems like the national sport in Thailand though (Army going with live rounds against civilians)

http://thailandtrouble.blogspot.com/2010/04/aftermath-of-confrontation-in-bangkok.html

I hope Abhisit has removed, and ceased to take advice from the short sighted person(s) who convinced him it was a good idea to send in Troops the first time

Because I believe quotes, such as the one you attempt to nullify, may serve to damage his countrywide reputation more than allowing the demonstrators to stay, while working to gradually defuse the situation

^and who will assault red city? If you think the military will then I think you will be in for a shock. :D

The Royal Cambodian Armed Forces dont mind a stoush . :D

Now that has more chance of working.... hahaha cunning plan of Abhisit. Let the khmer army mop up the protesters. :)

Edited by britmaveric

Three blokes - an ordinary, apolitical, Issan farmer, Seh Deang and

an Aussie engineer are all working together one day and they come

across a lantern and a Genie pops out of it. "I will give each of you

one wish, which is three wishes in total" says the Genie.

The Issan says, "I am a farmer and my son will also farm. I

want the land to be forever fertile in Issan.

" POOOOFF! With the blink of the Genie's eye, the land in

Issan was forever fertile for farming.

Seh Deang was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around

Rajprasong so that no soldiers can come into our protest

site.

POOOFF! Again, with the blink of the Genie's eye, there was a

huge wall around Rajprasong.

The Aussie Engineer says, "I am very curious. Please tell me

more about this wall."

The Genie explains, "Well, it's about 5000 feet high, 500 feet

thick and completely surrounds the area. Nothing can get in or

out; it's virtually impenetrable."

The Aussie Engineer sits down, cracks a beer, smiles and says,

"Fill it with water".........

Yeah, it's a rip-off... but it made me smile when I thought of it...

By Stingray, this blog national security journalistEye witness report said soldiers and police that are sympathizers of the red shirt fired live bullets at soldiers loyal to Prayuth and Prem-who were shooting at the red shirt.

Eye witness said soldiers loyal to Prayuth went on top of many buildings near the Cow Corale and fired live bullets onto the red shirt crowd below-killing and wounding many.

Eye witness said many soldiers and police who were involved in controlling the crowd below, once saw the murdering spree-abandoned their duty and began firing at the soldiers on to of the buildings and hit many-and the killing spree stopped.

Eye witness said if not for these soldiers and police-there would have been hundreds killed.

April 11, 2010

Conclusion

Go and figure . I heard from a poster that he saw in yahoo some blog on soldiers shooting at soldiers on the 10th april , could not find the link .

That soldier that got shot by another soldier in the head few days ago when the reds did a sortie , kind of strange event .

We dont know <deleted> is happening . Probably why Anupong is very low profile

I think most European countries have a police force to deal with situations like this. Thailand doesn't have a police force. Only a bunch of petty crooks and criminals,wearing uniforms whose only concern is collecting fees. Their allegiance is to the Baht not the country.

Even though many might say: Ah...another thread after so many more before.

But reading all of them in sequence, I think you'd be able to identify an increasing hard undertone.

I personally have no doubt that the government will start taking action soon and it will not be pretty.

Given what happened so far, I do think that the government has the law at its side.

The bad thing is, I also believe that many of the protestors are still there because they wait to be paid.

With their ID-cards taken, they are being held hostage financially as well as morally and fear for consequences of returning home early.

This is a very sad thing which I'm sure is one reason keeping the government back from taking action too soon.

Second reason being that they want to have the road-map on the table in public to maybe avoid a crackdown all together.

But if this road-map is flat out rejected, then there's no more stopping a crackdown

If you are correct --- and you might be. All the innocents that are waiting to get paid need to do are move off to the side, sit down, and put their hands on ther heads, no? It might be uncomfortable sitting in the teargas, and in theory the Sae Daeng's Ronin might target them as traitors but at least the military won't mess with them.

That is, some will just bark, some will threaten but not bite, and some will attack, especially if you do anything provocative :)

“The government will follow international standard practices from issuing a warning, and (moving from) the softest to the most stiff measures,” said Mr Suthep. “We will not risk our police and soldiers to lose their lives for terrorism.”

If the protest leaders carry M16 rifle, how can I guarantee their lives as" they are not normal people", the CRES director said.

Barking dogs will never bite. International standard? If the protest leaders carry M16's, they should rot in jail. It's a weapon made for war and not for some like to be normal people.

I think most European countries have a police force to deal with situations like this. Thailand doesn't have a police force. Only a bunch of petty crooks and criminals,wearing uniforms whose only concern is collecting fees. Their allegiance is to the Baht not the country.

Yes but thats the thai governement fault my friend , and i dont mean this governement in particular , i mean any of them

When the time comes and the Army really goes in to bust some heads, the Red Shirts should remember how much warning they were given rather then act surprised that the government actually cracked down on them.

yep should put a curfew out in bangkok. anyone whos goes out side gets knicked. had enough now. they are hitting civlians ! thailand is a tourist destination many business are built around it and some of the economy needs it.

time to put the red's to bed and getting on with business.

I disagree with you logic. It wasn't an accident caused by a drunk driver, it was a "protest." It was deemed illegal under the law! No, Thailand is not an EU nation, is it? The "protesters were order to disperse, but instead attacked The Royal Thai Armed Forces with weapons and there were disastrous results on both sides. Soldiers were killed as well as the "peaceful protesters."

This is from my US hometown newspaper on May 1st "protesters." But the police responded promptly. Unlike the Thai police... Plus it isn't the nations capital, just a small beach town in California.

Riot breaks out in

downtown Santa Cruz;

windows broken on dozens

of businesses, porch of cafe

set on fire

By Alia Wilson

Posted: 05/02/2010 01:45:50 AM PDT

SANTA CRUZ - A large group of protesters

demonstrating at a May Day rally for worker's

and immigrant rights downtown broke off into a

riot vandalizing about a dozen businesses

around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Many in the group were carrying makeshift

torches as they marched, breaking storefront

windows and writing "anarchist graffiti" on

buildings, according to Capt. Steve Clark. Many

businesses sustained multiple broken windows

including very large storefront windows at Urban

Outfitters and The Rittenhouse building. Police

believe at least 15 businesses suffered damage.

The violence was initiated from a group holding

a rally at the town clock for May Day. Windows at

Jamba Juice and Velvet Underground were left

shattered and graffiti including anarchy signs

were tagged onto buildings.

Because of the size and violent demeanor of the

crowd, Santa Cruz police asked for help from all

agencies in the county to break up the riot. At

one point, protesters lit a fire on the porch of

Caffe Pergolesi and blocked access to

firefighters, officers said. Police were able to

clear out the demonstrators before more

damage was caused.

A large rock sat outside Verizon Wireless on the

100 block of Cooper Street, where vandals tried

to break the window twice, according to Clark.

"The damage that was caused was without

purpose," Clark said. "It was senseless violence

that victimized a community who cannot afford

to be victimized in this manner. This did nothing

to add credit to whatever they believed their

cause was."

One person, 24-year-old Jimi Haynes, a

transient from Fresno County, was arrested for

felony vandalism for damaging a window. Haynes

is also wanted on a parole violation, Clark said.

Police are searching for others responsible for

the damage. Protesters cleared the downtown

area around midnight.

"Our entire team of investigators are processing

the scene of violence for evidence," Clark said.

"We will be looking at video available

to try to ID who's responsible."

Haynes was observed traveling with this group

and breaking windows at the Dell Williams Jewelry store. Haynes broke two large display

windows in the front of the store. The witnesses

followed him and called police. Haynes was

located by arriving Watsonville PD officers who

detained Haynes, Clark said.

Haynes is on parole out of Fresno County for

burglary. He has been in Santa Cruz for the past

several weeks where he has established an

arrest history, Clark said. Haynes admitted to

participating in the rally after receiving a flyer at

a local anarchist café. Haynes was booked into

Santa Cruz County Jail.

Once order was restored, police detectives

worked throughout the night to collect evidence

and document the damage to each of the

businesses, Clark said. The police department

guarded exposed storefronts, and arranged for

private security to watch the businesses until

windows could be boarded, and responsible

persons contacted.

The police department encourages anyone with

information (include any photos or video footage)

to make contact and report the information. The

police department will be working to identify and

prosecute additional individuals involved in the

march and subsequent violence.

Police ask anyone with information about the

incident to contact the investigations

department.

I can see why the government wants to put a stop this sort of thing.

Arisman's amazingly bizarre and confrontational speech in which he seems to go against many fronts in this latest video:

Siriraj Hospital, All Muslim Mosques, Government House, Important Ministries, Airports, Rajavithi Road, Bridges, Bank of Thailand, Commercial Banks, Military Barracks, Court of Justice, and NGO's

will all be destroyed....

"Not one of these will remain standing."

Edited by mavup

Arisman's amazingly bizarre and confrontational speech in which he seems to go against many fronts in this latest video:

Siriraj Hospital, All Muslim Mosques, Government House, Important Ministries, Airports, Rajavithi Road, Bridges, Bank of Thailand, Commercial Banks, Military Barracks, Court of Justice, and NGO's

Ah yes, "peaceful pro-demokracy protesters!"

I disagree with you logic. It wasn't an accident caused by a drunk driver, it was a "protest." It was deemed illegal under the law! No, Thailand is not an EU nation, is it? The "protesters were order to disperse, but instead attacked The Royal Thai Armed Forces with weapons and there were disastrous results on both sides. Soldiers were killed as well as the "peaceful protesters."

This is from my US hometown newspaper on May 1st "protesters." But the police responded promptly. Unlike the Thai police... Plus it isn't the nations capital, just a small beach town in California.

Riot breaks out in

downtown Santa Cruz;

windows broken on dozens

of businesses, porch of cafe

set on fire

By Alia Wilson

Posted: 05/02/2010 01:45:50 AM PDT

SANTA CRUZ - A large group of protesters

demonstrating at a May Day rally for worker's

and immigrant rights downtown broke off into a

riot vandalizing about a dozen businesses

around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Many in the group were carrying makeshift

torches as they marched, breaking storefront

windows and writing "anarchist graffiti" on

buildings, according to Capt. Steve Clark. Many

businesses sustained multiple broken windows

including very large storefront windows at Urban

Outfitters and The Rittenhouse building. Police

believe at least 15 businesses suffered damage.

The violence was initiated from a group holding

a rally at the town clock for May Day. Windows at

Jamba Juice and Velvet Underground were left

shattered and graffiti including anarchy signs

were tagged onto buildings.

Because of the size and violent demeanor of the

crowd, Santa Cruz police asked for help from all

agencies in the county to break up the riot. At

one point, protesters lit a fire on the porch of

Caffe Pergolesi and blocked access to

firefighters, officers said. Police were able to

clear out the demonstrators before more

damage was caused.

A large rock sat outside Verizon Wireless on the

100 block of Cooper Street, where vandals tried

to break the window twice, according to Clark.

"The damage that was caused was without

purpose," Clark said. "It was senseless violence

that victimized a community who cannot afford

to be victimized in this manner. This did nothing

to add credit to whatever they believed their

cause was."

One person, 24-year-old Jimi Haynes, a

transient from Fresno County, was arrested for

felony vandalism for damaging a window. Haynes

is also wanted on a parole violation, Clark said.

Police are searching for others responsible for

the damage. Protesters cleared the downtown

area around midnight.

"Our entire team of investigators are processing

the scene of violence for evidence," Clark said.

"We will be looking at video available

to try to ID who's responsible."

Haynes was observed traveling with this group

and breaking windows at the Dell Williams Jewelry store. Haynes broke two large display

windows in the front of the store. The witnesses

followed him and called police. Haynes was

located by arriving Watsonville PD officers who

detained Haynes, Clark said.

Haynes is on parole out of Fresno County for

burglary. He has been in Santa Cruz for the past

several weeks where he has established an

arrest history, Clark said. Haynes admitted to

participating in the rally after receiving a flyer at

a local anarchist café. Haynes was booked into

Santa Cruz County Jail.

Once order was restored, police detectives

worked throughout the night to collect evidence

and document the damage to each of the

businesses, Clark said. The police department

guarded exposed storefronts, and arranged for

private security to watch the businesses until

windows could be boarded, and responsible

persons contacted.

The police department encourages anyone with

information (include any photos or video footage)

to make contact and report the information. The

police department will be working to identify and

prosecute additional individuals involved in the

march and subsequent violence.

Police ask anyone with information about the

incident to contact the investigations

department.

Thank you but US is not Thailand , interesting nonetheless .

Here another thai comment

..this event / action was purposeful to send a message to those in army who still considers continue and increase the level of crackdown – that they’ll be met adequately. therefore Suthep / Prayuth / whoever (Abhisit not to take into consideration, he is a puppet-puppy boy !) should think twice before escalating confrontation

Come on with your one sided comments

Have you considered soldiers shooting at other soldiers ? Not the protesters per say , they dont have any military training anyway .

We are talking heart and minds of soldiers here .

Red Shirt movement is about peace/love :) , unfortunately the government likes to kill/maim innocents. :D

which planet are you referring to? which country?! peace and love from red shirt people?

watch the youtube video above... lots of peace and love.... :D

Cant see anything but white on your picture .

What is it ? Pol Pot mourners ?

Just reading the Twitter msgs flying by, the speculated plan is use any time between now and the 5th to warn protesters and provide what you mentioned (including free replacement ID's!). Ops will begin after the coronation celebrations on the 5th.

It has been announced that the government will give a final warning tomorrow, although I think it relates to taking back Lumpini and not taking back Rachaprasong. From what I have read, the "final warning" does not include an actual day for the assault. I think you are right in that it will be sometime after the 5th.

It appears there will not be an assault on Redtown as Jatuporn et.al. continue to surround themselves with women and children. On Lumpini, it is thought that the Reds have several weapons caches stashed in Lumpini which provides good cover, hence they are willing to fight to keep it.

Abhisit has brought in police from the Democrats' strongholds in the south so he doesn't have to rely on the local police who fail to arrest Reds leaders because it isn't convenient. In addition, DSI is now making headway and starting to uncover weapons caches and make arrests. From the military's side, they are in process of bringing in APC's for the assault.

I really thought Abhisit was finished, but I may have to eat my words soon. It looks like he is much tougher than I thought.

With all this going on, it appears the message is being understood by some of the Reds leaders who all of a sudden seem serious about having new discussions, although I doubt Abhisit will have any interest on dissolution until after the reshuffle in October.

Mr Kasit reportedly told them that the Thai government always adheres to the code for respecting human rights under the democratic system and has been avoiding the use of force although the Cabinet on Sunday agreed to allow the government to use force in containing the protesters, but the agreement is “only an option while the government doesn’t intend to use it”.

From post 1: Am I the only one that thinks this paragraph (in quotation) is absurd in so many ways it beggers belief.

Fair dinkum, I am having a great deal of trouble understanding what is being said!

It has been announced that the government will give a final warning tomorrow, although I think it relates to taking back Lumpini and not taking back Rachaprasong. From what I have read, the "final warning" does not include an actual day for the assault. I think you are right in that it will be sometime after the 5th.

It appears there will not be an assault on Redtown as Jatuporn et.al. continue to surround themselves with women and children. On Lumpini, it is thought that the Reds have several weapons caches stashed in Lumpini which provides good cover, hence they are willing to fight to keep it.

Abhisit has brought in police from the Democrats' strongholds in the south so he doesn't have to rely on the local police who fail to arrest Reds leaders because it isn't convenient. In addition, DSI is now making headway and starting to uncover weapons caches and make arrests. From the military's side, they are in process of bringing in APC's for the assault.

I really thought Abhisit was finished, but I may have to eat my words soon. It looks like he is much tougher than I thought.

With all this going on, it appears the message is being understood by some of the Reds leaders who all of a sudden seem serious about having new discussions, although I doubt Abhisit will have any interest on dissolution until after the reshuffle in October.

See you here in a week time , to talk about the imminent crackdown :):D .(not that i wish for any)