English Premier League - Europa Cup Qualification

Wentworth

As I write this, positions 5, 6 and 7 seem to qualify in the BBC Premier League table. The BBC have changed this over the past few weeks from just 5th place, then including 6th and now 7th. From what I can gather, 5th place alongside FA and Carling Cup winners get entry and there's talk of 'Fair Play Awards'.

I've tried to get my head around the BBC explanation but still confused. Can anyone give me a layman's version of who qualifies and perhaps why?

Ok, let me see if i can explain this right:

The winners of both the FA Cup and Carling Cup qualify, as you say. Those just happen to be Man Utd (Carling Cup winners) and either Chelsea or Portsmouth who play in the final of FA Cup. United qualify for CL anyway, cause of their league position. As Spurs are either going to snatch 4th, or fifth, they qualify via those routes, to Europa Cup or CL. They can also qualify by taking fifth in the EPL, and then Man City go into the Europa Cup. Should Portsmouth win, they dont compete as their application for entry wasnt sent in until too late. This leaves qualification spots for sixth and seventh placed clubs up for grabs. There is one spot left for the winner of the Fair Play League as well.

I think thats about right

PHEW !!!!!! :)

Edited by Penkoprod

Ok, let me see if i can explain this right:

The winners of both the FA Cup and Carling Cup qualify, as you say. Those just happen to be Man Utd (Carling Cup winners) and either Chelsea or Portsmouth who play in the final of FA Cup. United qualify for CL anyway, cause of their league position. As Spurs are either going to snatch 4th, or fifth, they qualify via those routes, to Europa Cup or CL. They can also qualify by taking fifth in the EPL, and then Man City go into the Europa Cup. Should Portsmouth win, they dont compete as their application for entry wasnt sent in until too late. This leaves qualification spots for sixth and seventh placed clubs up for grabs. There is one spot left for the winner of the Fair Play League as well.

I think thats about right

PHEW !!!!!! :)

Explained it better than I could have Penkoprod :D

Don't forget the caveat, that if Man United ever fail to qualify by the any of the above routes, there is a clause that says a team that plays in Red who has also played more injury time minutes than anyone else, also qualifies. :D:D

It's called the Fergie Play League