Pulsing Mains Voltage In Mae Nam

Hiya.

For about 4 or 5 days now my mains voltage has been fluctuating in a rhythmic pulse at the rate of about once every half second. I can only notice it on my tungsten lighting which now has a very slow strobe effect. I've got no way of measuring this but it certainly doesn't seem to affect anything else.

It's giving me headaches and driving me crazy. Anyone else experiencing this?

Any ideas as to what might be causing it or what I can do about it?

Cheers

Rob

We have been getting power drops for the last few days here in Lippa Noi. I am led to believe they are upgrading the lines ? It is something though that you get used to. When I lived in Plai lam every time it rained within 5 minutes the power went out. It is the price you pay for living on a tropical island :)

If the problem only started 5 days ago, then obviously some type of system change occurred at that time.

Step 1 is to switch off various appliances (one by one), and see if the problem is being caused by equipment in your house.

Step 2 is to check if one of your near neighbours has added some extra equipment.

Step 3 (assuming no success with Steps 1 and 2) is to contact the power company, and tell them you are experiecing harmonics on the line voltage. Most power companies have internal rules/guidelines regarding this type of problem.

You mention that the flicker is only affecting the lighting ---- what about the television ?

The fact that you are suffering from headaches, should not be taken lightly. In the past, there were fears that this electrical effect might induce epileptic fits.

Solutions are;

1 Change away from tungsten lighting.

2 The power company transformer, may need an upgrade.

We have our own new transformer giving us 3 phase. I went up to look at the meter and instead of showing around 400 volts it was barely over 100. The TV was OK but no AC or pool pumps would work.

Thanks for the useful advice.

Happily, as I now write, it seems to have stopped. It was most irritating in the evenings when I settled down with a book - the pages pulsed along with the lighting!

I'll follow your advice and next time it happens switch things off to try to isolate the culprit. I've checked with neighbours and none of them are even running aircon.

Thanks for your help,

R

If the problem only started 5 days ago, then obviously some type of system change occurred at that time.

Step 1 is to switch off various appliances (one by one), and see if the problem is being caused by equipment in your house.

Step 2 is to check if one of your near neighbours has added some extra equipment.

Step 3 (assuming no success with Steps 1 and 2) is to contact the power company, and tell them you are experiecing harmonics on the line voltage. Most power companies have internal rules/guidelines regarding this type of problem.

You mention that the flicker is only affecting the lighting ---- what about the television ?

The fact that you are suffering from headaches, should not be taken lightly. In the past, there were fears that this electrical effect might induce epileptic fits.

Solutions are;

1 Change away from tungsten lighting.

2 The power company transformer, may need an upgrade.

Might not help but 90% of times we had power problems that wasn't influenced by some other occurrence on the island

the culprit always turned out to be water pump.

be care full. when u have low electric your water pumps can over run and they bascial brake. best to turn the water pumps off when u have low electric. beielve me i know.

u can buy a system that custs the power when the electric is low but it is epensive. like the opposite to a fuse for too much electric.

i will have to buy one at some point. had to replace many pumps in the past due to low electric. if the lights are running low and the fuse box keeps tripping out. turn the water pumps off. only turn onn when u need them could save u money in the long run. hope that helps.

just talking about previous experience