Sad Owl

Just an update. The biggest one that we put high up on a branch was later found up on the power lines then later gone so appears the noise the parents were making got him up off his butt and flying. :)

The other two are being taken care of at my friends house and doing quite well. Seem to be fickle eaters though. Feed them raw fish and they seem to enjoy it for a while then he has to change to chicken then to something else. Seem they bore easily with their food. He setup a syringe for water that drips into a cup so they can drink. He said his wife was outdoors walking around with two of them, one sitting on her shoulder and one on her arm. He said he was going to bring some pictures.

All in all, looking good. He will slowly put them back out but he's not sure when or if they will be able to figure out how to find food on their own.

That's great news!!

When I saw that you had posted today, I got a little jolt in my tummy thinking the worst.

Let's hope they can all be freed - happy and healthy.

After never seeing an owl in 18 years and then seeing three in two days. You'll probably be seeing them all the time now!!!

After never seeing an owl in 18 years and then seeing three in two days. You'll probably be seeing them all the time now!!!

I hear them all the time now since I now know what they sound like. :)

I am surprised at their "tame-ness". As a former owner of parrots, I know that some birds can be very attached to humans...who would have thought it would be true of owls?

Both Florence Nightingale and Picasso (who often painted and sculpted them) had pet owls.

Florence rescued hers after it fell from it's nest as a fledgling and nursed it back to health.

I read that the life expectancy of a wild bird quadruples if it becomes a pet after an injury - don't know if it's true however.

Last year on Koh Payam there was a wood owl that lived near our bungalow it was a magnificent creature hunting between the cashew trees at night. Asian barred owlets are fairly common in Khorat and some come very close to our house and can be spotted all through the day, i don't know if it's a coincidence but i seem to see them in pairs quite often.

Thanks for the intersting thread Tywais it's a tricky time for young birds when they leave the nest you did the right thing, please keep us updated.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;GRid=12679276

post-80347-1273749542_thumb.jpg

post-80347-1273749562_thumb.jpg

Edited by easethesqueeze

• 5 months later...

I am surprised at their "tame-ness". As a former owner of parrots, I know that some birds can be very attached to humans...who would have thought it would be true of owls?

I know it is a little bit late with my reaction, sorry wink.gif

Owls can be very attached to people, my compliment to Tywais, you did very well , (by the way for Ants use Dog Powder) you can train them very well, but you have to use a glove (they can have big nails whistling.gif

My son with Browny rolleyes.gif

DSC00416.JPG

More "Beauty's "

http://www.thaivisa....13#entry3960713