Sad Owl

As I was leaving work, I noticed something move in the bushes and on closer look saw this fellow. 18 years in Thailand and never seen an owl here. I went back to the office and told the secretaries and I don't think they believed me. They all came out to look and next thing I know they are grabbing their cell phones taking pictures. So seems to be a pretty rare sight.

However, it wasn't long before we noticed something wasn't right as he just fell over on his side. :) My understanding is normally you don't want to touch a young bird, but he looked in serious need of help. The secretaries got a box to put him in and was when we found large red ants all over his feet and stomach. Now I'm worried that the ants may have poisoned him seriously as he just lay on his side and closed his eyes while in the box. We have a technician who is into birds and would know what to do but he had left for the day.

Afraid to go in tomorrow and see what has happened to him. The ants were quickly picked off of him.

post-566-1272885172_thumb.jpg

post-566-1272885202_thumb.jpg

Difficult to see what it is, but most likely is the Barred Owlet. It is very common everywhere except the extreme south, but you don't see owls very often as they tend to keep high up in the trees, and most of them, though not this one, are nocturnal. If he's in that bad a state, I doubt there's much hope for him (unless perhaps he was stunned by flying into something; it does happen).

I see you're from Chiangmai University. I've seen Collared Scops Owls on a tree just outside the English Dept., and the Barred owlet is common up Soi Changkian where I used to live.

Edited by isanbirder

Difficult to see what it is, but most likely is the Barred Owlet. It is very common everywhere except the extreme south, but you don't see owls very often as they tend to keep high up in the trees, and most of them, though not this one, are nocturnal.

I believe it is a pretty young owl as it is only about 15-16 cm tall so perhaps not able to fly yet? Also, had no fear of us but that could be shock or toxin from the ants. When I first noticed him he was hopping behind the hedge then stopped to stare at me (us) as I approached.

Hi 'Tywais',

Nice of you to 'give a Hoot' about the Owl. :D

Most Thais believe they bring them bad luck when they hear the 'Hoot Hoot'.

We have one outside that gives us the Hoot in Kan. We also have one or two bats as well, one flew into our house (large glass doors open due to the heat in the evening) and left the same way it came in. My wife said 'bad luck' once again. Must be the season I think, hot, little rain and no food for them.

(unless perhaps he was stunned by flying into something; it does happen).

Had a couple of birds crash into the glass doors, one was OK the other one RIP.

As for Red Ants I would have used some water on the Owl to get rid of them, in the part of the bird that was attacked only.

Anyways 'Tywais' nice of some folks in your UNI to have taken care of the little one, if not for fear as most Thais fear Owl.

Please keep us informed about the 'Sad Owl'.

Sawadee :)

Anyways 'Tywais' nice of some folks in your UNI to have taken care of the little one, if not for fear as most Thais fear Owl.

I wasn't aware of the fear factor. Sure didn't show with the secretarial staff pushing and shoving to get as close as possible to photograph him. Of course, as soon as we saw he was in distress the cameras went away and a flurry of activity to help him. I'm a sucker for distressed birds. :)

It probably won't live but its definatelty worth trying to help it... feed it small pieces of beef or pork & hope it regains its strength..

18 years in Thailand and never seen an owl here

you may not have seen one, but i'm pretty sure you've probably heard one... These birds (it is an Asian Barred Owlet) are very common around human habitation, especially Chiangmai & the north..

here's the noise they make during the night...

We had an owl fly into our house years ago, mr sbk threw a blanket over it and took it back outside. Other than worrying about it banging into stuff, neither he nor the staff seemed concerned.

The biting red ants usually are part of the (hate to say this) biodegrading process. If he was covered in them then he may not make it, sad to say, did you remove him from the ground? Otherwise, they will be sure to find him again and they can kill him, poor little guy.

did you remove him from the ground?

Tywais said:

The secretaries got a box to put him in

Ur eyes must be going now, happens with age :)

please keep us updated, i hope he doesnt die :D

Edited by neverdie

Well good news. Came in this morning expecting the worse but our resident bird guy seems to have gotten him up and around. He's been eating, drinking and pooping. :) Still a bit weak as he was standing on the small branch and just slowly fell over backward but good sign though.

post-566-1272950893_thumb.jpg

I believe it is a pretty young owl as it is only about 15-16 cm tall so perhaps not able to fly yet? Also, had no fear of us but that could be shock or toxin from the ants. When I first noticed him he was hopping behind the hedge then stopped to stare at me (us) as I approached.

It is full-grown, but looks like a young bird. Nice to hear it has survived the night.

The focus was due to the camera phone and sticking it in the box. Got my good digital cam at the office and took some better photos. He's in remarkably good shape and not the slightest bit concerned about those humans running about. :)

post-566-1272956417_thumb.jpg post-566-1272956432_thumb.jpg

post-566-1272956448_thumb.jpg post-566-1272956457_thumb.jpg

We had one perch on the laundry line behind our house years ago. I ran out and took a photo. Felt kind bad about the flash when he shook his head a bit and flew off. Didn't bump into any trees so it wasn't too bad, I guess.

The focus was due to the camera phone and sticking it in the box. Got my good digital cam at the office and took some better photos. He's in remarkably good shape and not the slightest bit concerned about those humans running about. :)

Theres only one word for him, 'Devine'.

Thanks for the pics Tywais, I was hoping you would do that.

I am wondering what got him into the position of being covered in ants & it looks like you may have been right that it was their toxic bites that were causing him the trouble????

Good job Tywaise, well done, fingers crossed that it continues to recover back to full health and a long and happy life

Good on you Tywais and the office help for assistance. Love to watch and listen to owls. The will mock you when you call, like some other bird species. Is he/her trying to fly? He is a small little fellow. He may have fallen from your building for some reason, they seem to use building as their lookout spot for prey and for nesting. May have fallen from the nesting spot. Good luck with the rehab

The focus was due to the camera phone and sticking it in the box. Got my good digital cam at the office and took some better photos. He's in remarkably good shape and not the slightest bit concerned about those humans running about. :D

Theres only one word for him, 'Devine'.

Thanks for the pics Tywais, I was hoping you would do that.

No 'neverdie' it should be "Tony"

post-3770-1272979252_thumb.jpg

cause its the only one he's got :D

A Tony Owl :)

Sawadee :D

P.S. Good photo btw 'Tywais' :D

Now this is getting just weird. :) Found 2 more, one yesterday and one today in the same spot. One a little bigger then the first one and the other pretty young. Looks like they may have been kicked out to learn to fly? Anyway, today we located the parents flying around making a ruckus so the biggest one was put out on a branch on a tree near the parents. Seem to be talking to each other. Hear the young one chirping then the parents chirping, a regular cacophony of sound. One of the pictures is where we found them, in the bushes at the base. The 2nd photo he looks pretty fierce. :D

post-566-1273122974_thumb.jpgpost-566-1273122983_thumb.jpg

post-566-1273122994_thumb.jpgpost-566-1273123001_thumb.jpg

post-566-1273123015_thumb.jpg

I would say that this behaviour is common to all Owls worldwide.

Especially now as they have been relegated from the Coca Cola Championship to the first division after being really crap!

I don't know what to suggest really other than trying to bring him round to the reality that Sheffield Wednesday will be playing the likes of Yeovil and Hartlepool next season, then again I'ld be in shock also.

Oh dear.......

Up the Blades!! :)

Edited by soihok

Well, you're certainly making up for your "living and Thailand for 18 years and never seen an owl" predicament, aren't you?!!

Cute little things. I hope they will be able to get back to their parents soon.

so now you've got 3 right ?

ok, there's probably a few more.. Was hard to see it was a fledgling bird from the first pic rather than an lone injured adult.. now its obvious you've got a family of owlets.

Its a common mistake people all over the world make with young owls - assuming they're abandoned, then 'rescuing' them.

I would put them all back exactly where you find them, especially as you say the adults are still around.. They will be ok.

Not sure putting them back where he found them is a good idea considering the first one was being made into ant food, though I understand the idea of leaving nature to its own devices sometimes. I'm sure Tywais makes the best decisions he can, and kudos for actually caring enough :)

Great pics...what a beautiful bird the owl is

what a cute bird!

First of all be careful some Thais are very very afraid of owls (my wife for example and she is very educated and know that it is nonsense, others really believe dead will come with these birds), not that someone tries to kill them.

now you must feed them somehow....maybe they can stay somewhere safe outside where the parents can feed them but the ants don't come?

(or can you feed that lovely thing? meat? egg?? anyone know? Or catch a mouse and mouthfeed him :) )

Please let us know how it ends? Maybe when they are bigger they settle down in your house.....

Lovely things! Good luck!!!