Canopy For Pick-up

Having been given such great advice on my 1st ever topic post regarding after-market seats I'd like to impose on member's time once more.

Would like to purchase and fit a fibreglass canopy to my pick-up.

Being told(from less than reliable sources) that by doing so I will be required to pay a huge increase in registration fees. T/F?

Not sure if the following points have any relevance but provided anyway to avoid wasting time of repliers.

- 15 mth old Isuzu

- 1 1/2 door - ie. little seat in back

- Bought new - 50% cash/ 50% finance

- In my long term Thai wife's name - know many will think me a fool but I'm comfortable with the decision

PS-If I might push my luck, could someone give clarification on one more thing. At the moment the pick up is open. I often carry my motorcycle(also in Thai wife's name - stop laughing!) in the back. Why is it that on the 'upstairs' roads that I am only permitted to do so if I cover with a tarpaulin?

Thanking all in anticipation,

Andrew

PPS Tried to follow advice on uploading pic. We'll see if I got it..

post-87979-1272942549_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression too that fitting a canopy increased tax payable.

Why not ask your Thai wife to phone the local Dept of Land & Transport for the definitive answer(if there is one in Thailand).

I have fitted a cover to my own Triton, no extra tax and fuel saving to boot.

G,day All,

Here is a company that manufactures all types of canopies...:http://www.aeroklas.com/en/flash/index.php?id=product

I personally have just had SAMMITR brand Carry boy fitted to my Toyota Vigo 4 door ute. It makes it look like a fortuner.. Looks really great .Purchased from a mob called SAMMITR ,situated in Nawamin rd. Kannayao ph.029441462 I hope this helps,

cheers,

lesdunbar

G,day All,

Here is a company that manufactures all types of canopies...:http://www.aeroklas.com/en/flash/index.php?id=product

I personally have just had SAMMITR brand Carry boy fitted to my Toyota Vigo 4 door ute. It makes it look like a fortuner.. Looks really great .Purchased from a mob called SAMMITR ,situated in Nawamin rd. Kannayao ph.029441462 I hope this helps,

cheers,

lesdunbar

What did you pay mate? I'm an Aussie of Scottish ancestry married to a Jew for 15 years... I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks

G,day Andrew55,

I paid Baht. 28,500 Made to order, Included remote locking & reverse sensors. I believe you can get other models cheaper. But i,m very happy with the result that I recieved by buying this model. Very plush inside the unit..

cheers,

lesdunbar

PS. I asked my Thai wife about the extra price for rego. Her reply, I dont know and how are the road authority going to know about it.?

Edited by lesdunbar

SAMMITR is ALL Steel. to me is far better as before had the Fibreglass one from Carryboy

Mine + total cost was 28,600 baht

post-42643-1273302724_thumb.jpg

As you can see the rear handle is fitted into the steel [it is fitted with the central locking] Fitted from new May 2008

post-42643-1273302841_thumb.jpg

Carryboy is fitted in the glass, had a lot of problems on the 2004 - 2008 D-Max canopy

G,day Andrew55,

I paid Baht. 28,500 Made to order, Included remote locking & reverse sensors. I believe you can get other models cheaper. But i,m very happy with the result that I recieved by buying this model. Very plush inside the unit..

cheers,

lesdunbar

PS. I asked my Thai wife about the extra price for rego. Her reply, I dont know and how are the road authority going to know about it.?

My understanding is you have to get the blue book altered if a canopy is fitted cos the use is altered, not a pickup but a people carrier. When l taxed the truck last year l told them l fitted a lid, they said that OK but if you fit canopy, alter book. With glass and put seats in you pay less tax. :)

Perhaps someone can come on board who has been through the process.

Ok folks. Heres the answer as given by my ever so savvy businesswoman wife; If you have the white license plates with green characters, you paid something like 2000 or 3000B to register and tax each year. With that, yes you will have to change to white plates with black characters to carry a canopy. That plate runs about 6000B. If one already has the white and black plates on their pickup, then there is no additional tax and registration fees. Youre good to install canopy w/o extra annual costs, or even bothering with the authorities.

As far as altering the blue book, the wife hadn't heard that, but it stands to reason, its very possible you do modify the blue book due to the change in plates.If so its possible its part of the total price for changing plates.

Edited by featography

• 8 years later...
On 5/4/2010 at 3:56 PM, lesdunbar said:

G,day All,

cheers,

lesdunbar

Good day all

Looking to fire up this string again. I am currently in the market for a canopy, on a double cab Ranger. Any comments/reviews on available options?

As I understand:

Alpha - looks like good kit, made here in Thailand, but only do four door variant, not open cab

Carry-Boy, seem to do it all, but not sure of fit and finish

Aeroklas. Not sure if they sell here in Thailand, anyone have experience with this make?

ARB. Made here apparently, but only for export?

Sammitr, another that does it all - but in steel, not sure how that compares to fiberglass/composite?

Also, anyone ever added a vent to the top of their lid? We plan to overland with it and sleep in it while in the jungle, so want to have side windows and a vent up top to let air out.

Cheers in advance for any comments