Imm.'o' Step-by-step

I have been going cross-eyed trying to put together all the excellent advice in this forum regarding the requirements needed to get an imm. 'O' visa. Is there please a step-by-step, definitive (general?) list of what I need to follow and costs involved to get this visa? I am living in Chiang Mai and have been 'running' up to Mae Sai and Chiang Khong to renew my monthly (28 days) tourist visa but feel I would be better off getting a 1 year 'O' visa and 'running' every 3 months. I am a Brit, single, 60 yo and renting a condo in Chiang Mai. I have decided that Penang seems to be the place of choice for visas for Thai expats, so a pointer for current info on the logistics of this trip would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

CMB

what the good doctor is hinting is, with 800K in a THAI Bank you can get a one year visa extension based on retirement. then you won't need to keep making those visa runs, only report your address every 90 days to immigration.

first get a non immigrant O visa from an embassy outside Thailand. about your question concerning the requirements click here:

NON IMMIGRANT VISA

then come back and you can apply for a one year extension at a THAI immigration office. One of the requirements for this extension besides your age, is the bank balance of 800K or more in a THAI bank.

Welcome to the real world cm boy. Welcome aboard. :o You can even get a drivers license soon. Take evidence of funds to ANY Thai Embassy or Consulate and apply for a single entry Non Immigrant O visa. Get the bank letter evidencing the funds, and hop into Immigration for the one year extension. Re-new that visa extension for three years in total, and, based on present rules, you can apply for PR. If you plan to travel abroad, get a re-entry permit before you travel. If it is a regular occurrence, get multiple re-entry permits.

Hello good Doctor and cm boy!

Couldn't this procedure be done with a combo of monthly pension/investment income and bank balance instead of just the 800K in the bank? (Id be getting at least 100K income per month at least),

already have acct. at BKK bank.

For cm: Why haven't you been getting double entry tourist visas until now instead of running to Mae Sai every 30 days? Just curious,bud! Hope to be joining you in C. Mai next year as "home sweet home".HELLO to all my wonderful

friends at the Top North!Be there ASAP

Khun Scott

(harpman88)

What is supposed to happen next year (2004)? I tried looking at the thaivisa.com website, but didn't see any advisories about some change that would adversly effect people that want to move or retire to Thailand.

Jeepz

Oops! Okay, I just noticed the thread at the very top of this forum and it has a link to thaivisa.com story about what has been said about the 2004 changes. Not sure what the "necessity of living in Thailand" clause is going to require, guess that will get hashed out by then. I doubt that they will turn down people with enough money to qualify, but who knows. :o

Thanks dr Pat Pong. Seems like we posted about the same time, though I did mine as a revision to my initial post. I suppose only time will tell about the "necessity of staying" in Thailand requirement.

Top Reasons:

1. I don't remember where I come from

2. My ex lives far far away

3. I really really like Thailand

4. It makes me feel young

5. I'm not broke yet

:o

Provide evidence of your income ( certified by your Embassy ) and you will be finewith just the income you have, provided you apply before July next year.

Don't think so. :o Am quite sure they will require 'some' money in the bank as well as the income. At least that is what people have reported in the past. Or do you just mean 65k rather than double that if rules change?

Dr PP.

Can only speak for the Imm Office here of course, but they are adamant that income is NOT sufficient on its own. As I reported before, they were only interested in Bank Balance, and that was quoted at 1 million plus. Probably a local thing though. Certainly isnt how I interpret the rules, but ..........TIT....:o

Many thanks doctor, husky, et al for your grateful advice, certainly clears a few grey areas for me. Just gotta sit down now and take it all in and head off in the right direction, which looks like the retirement route. :o

Thanks again.

cm boy

I now have my one-year, multiple entry Thai retirement visa (I am 60) issued recently in BKK at a cost of 3800 THB after coming in with a visa issued in the US. I will have to be in and out of the country relatively frequently because I am still consulting part time (or at least paid to do so and to not compete with the company that bought mine). However, I do not yet have a "permanent" Thai address. From what I understand, until I have an address, I cannot open a bank account or meet visa reporting requirements. A high bank balance and monthly income is not a problem for me. Thus, a couple of questions:

1. How do I meet the reporting requirement? Is being stamped in and out at the airport sufficient or do I still need a formal address? What if I am out of Thailand for over a three-month period? Do I still have to "report" and, if so, to whom, where? I am currently out of the country again but will be back again in December and again in January for two three-week periods. I may extend the January trip to a couple of months, however.

2. How do I establish an address if I am traveling within Thailand? I expect to eventually settle in one place for more than a couple of weeks. Can one use a hotel/resort/guest house as an address (let's not get dirty and call this a 'short-time hotel'!). Can I just lease an inexpensive place near BKK airport that I don't use much and call that "home" but actually be traveling much of the time in and out of Thailand? I could use it to store my stuff and when traveling, at least.

3. Does a bank really require a formal address? Is that for mailing purposes or a formality? Are Thai authorities ever going to come over for supper and check that I am home?

4. Can the 800,000+++ THB be in any bank or only a government bank? Does one have ready access to that money or is it stuck at essentially no interest? I read that there is also a maximum that can be denominated in THB because of recent currency speculation. Is that real? How much? Or is there a way around that (beyond buying a condominium etc).

5. Does an auto constitute an "investment"? Can one buy an auto on a one-year visa without a permanent address?

6. I have what may be a new reason for the "necessity" of being in Thailand: the US IRS requires on-site auditing of programs to which one gives funds (I have a private foundation that funds programs in Thailand and elsewhere). Seems like a better reason than "escaping from my wife" and "I like it hot."

Thanks for any responses.

Hey Rhaugland! I opened my bank acct. at BKK bank,Bangkapi branch,Sukhumvit Rd.

(Had both passbook and fixed accts.)

and did it on a tourist visa with no problems at all,using my hotel as res.

Also,you can get ATM card for easy access to funds anywhere in the kingdom. BKK bank should be a fine choice for your needs.Interest rates very low right now,

as they are most everywhere. Passbook acct. is the one you want. Have barcode

printed on it to use automatic "update "

machines available in lobby. Hopethis helps and all the best,"harpman88"

rhaugland,

1. You only have to report every 90 days if you were here in Thailand 90 days. If you travel your exit ends one period and your entry starts a new one.

2. For most banks any address will do as with you passbook account they will not normally be mailing anything. Others have used hotel rooms. You could also rent an unfurnished condo (room) for very little which would give you lease type paperwork. This would probably work out well for storage (non high value).

3. Bank is just for the form. Most will never send anything. Bank address will not involve government officials.

4. The 800k is for your use during the year of your visa. So, yes, you can use it. It can be in any bank here.

5. Would not think so and expect you will need an address to register vehicle.

6. Watch out for the no work provision of your visa.

I obtained a type O visa in Canada when I first came here. I then applied for a retirement visa and it is true that the balance in the bank must be 800,000 baht. However, If you only have 500,000 in the bank and can show that you get 300,000 baht per month on a pension or income then it works the same way at least that is what my lawyer has said. I receive a widows benefit and all you need is a letter from your government to prove that income monthly and you shouldn't have any problems at all. I think you can just go to your embassy here and get the documents you need for proof. It really is very simple. As to next year they may up the amount but that is not law as yet and may never be for quite a while so get through your first one and learn the ropes and worry about any adjustments next year. Good Luck!!!

P.S

If you need the name of someone here to help you with all of this let me know

1. In cm boy's case: If he wants to get this Multiple entry visa and go out every three months, does he have to show some money in his bank account?

Because of some investments, I have a friend who will have some problems showing 200,000 Baht next month.

2. What's the avantage of having the Multiple entry visa? No need to show the 200,000 Baht?

3. Every 90 days, he will have to go to a consulate or will be able to get it at the border?

Thank you.

1. If he goes the retirement route he will require money in the bank, and should be on a visa extension within 90 days. A marriage based multi entry O visa would not require any money.

2. For marriage there is no need for money with multi entry O visa. No need for re entry permits or address reporting.

3. Every 90 days or less you have to leave Thailand and return at your will. Only have to visit a consulate about every 15 months for a new visa.