Is Thaivisa Female-friendly?

bonobo

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What percentage are you talking about? I haven't seen any number yet.

I have just heard that there are women are driven off from here. I don't see any reason why such a statement shall be generalised.

In fact, that is just another opinion. Equally valid as my opinion. I admit, I haven't read all postings in TV so far, and my impression here is that women are not driven away and men (naturally) defend women if they get under attack for whatever reason.

The percentage is irrelevant as far as your statement goes.  You posted women are not driven away. Boo posted that she has spoken to women who are. 

For you to be correct, not even one woman has ever been driven away.  

I never said that. I articulated my impression from reading the forum here. Impressions are not wrong or right.

But for you, as you are so much against generalization, the percentage is suddenly not important.

It is. Because a small number of women, who are driven away for some reason, does not justify a statement "women are driven away".

So back to the facts: if there are 60000 members and 10% are female (6000), how many of them are driven away?

Give us some facts, otherwise to claim that "women are driven away" is just another opinion, based on very little evidence.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, you wrote that women are not driven away.  The only way to take that is that no women are driven away.  And I wondered if women were driven away.  Boo confirmed that at least some women are driven away.  Women, as in plural.  So the statement that "women are driven away" is valid and "women are not driven away" is incorrect. English language 101.  It should be pretty easy to understand that for a native English speaker and for most ESL speakers.

And if one poster here as communicated with a few women who have been driven away, then it is a logical assumption to make that there are others.  Statistics 101.

Now if you wanted to opine that you don't think the number of women to be driven away is very significant, well, I can't refute that without more input.  But for the question at hand, you can't make blanket statements which have already been refuted. As I wrote before, argumentum ad ignorantiam is rearing its head here.

My point is obvious

not really. chicky net have to refuse males posters to get their female posters to join as they don't want to have to deal with idiot posters who slag off women, thaivisa is a forum for both men & women so therefore nothing like chicky net.

SOOOOOOO if you want to know if they are trying to get male posters to join then email them to ask why, as they are not thaivisa. simples right?

see my above post. Thaivisa could attract a lot more women who live in Thailand if it were not for the minority of posters who feel the need to blame women at every turn for every thing that has messed up in their life. Why are forums like chickynet & farang girls in thailand attracting huge amounts of women who live in Thailand? becuase they don't have the stupid "all women are xyz" negatives being posted whenever someone feel like airing yet again whatever little problem they have ever had with a women in their life.

Do those sites run campaigns encouraging more male posters? Do those sites seek to modify the behaviour of their existing members in order to attract more male members?

No? Oh.

:)

I think this is actually a very good point.

Why on earth would I want to go post on "chickynet" and "farang girls in thailand", if the name of these sites already suggests those sites are not general forums about Thailand but specifically for women?

Edited by tgw

Now if you wanted to opine that you don't think the number of women to be driven away is very significant, well, I can't refute that without more input

Or you could 'opine' that all the 'women members' driven away were actually men pretending to be women and therefore no women members were ever driven away!

chicky net have to refuse males posters to get their female posters to join as they don't want to have to deal with idiot posters who slag off women

How do they know what sex their prospective members are?

(PS I joined with my wife taking the call)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Boo is well know for some very extreme views.

I almost left Thaivisa because of insulting things she said about me, I kept the PMs.

I have evidence that at least 1 other member feels the same way.

Give me a break!  "Boo is well know (sic) for some very views" and "I have evidence that at least 1 other member feels the same way?"

So two people think that, but you post it as a fact that she is "well know" for that?

Let's keep the personal attacks out of this and stay with the facts and opinions.

Now if you wanted to opine that you don't think the number of women to be driven away is very significant, well, I can't refute that without more input

Or you could 'opine' that all the 'women members' driven away were actually men pretending to be women and therefore no women members were ever driven away!

Or, we could opine that Elvis is alive and kicking and is secretly a man pretending to be a woman on thaivisa. :)

the dregs of the global society live in Thailand and you can only assume that any Thai forum consists of that very demographic. and me? i'm just happy to be here...

And you know this because?

Having spent 10 years in London, I ( IMO ) reckon there are a lot more "dregs" there than ever lived here.

My point is obvious

not really. chicky net have to refuse males posters to get their female posters to join as they don't want to have to deal with idiot posters who slag off women, thaivisa is a forum for both men & women so therefore nothing like chicky net.

SOOOOOOO if you want to know if they are trying to get male posters to join then email them to ask why, as they are not thaivisa. simples right?

I tried to visit the chicky net forum to see what it is all about, but you can't even read it if you don't have an account there.

chicky net have to refuse males posters to get their female posters to join as they don't want to have to deal with idiot posters who slag off women

So I suppose the exact opposite is taking place there (i.e. women slagging off men), but with the difference that there aren't any men there to protest.

They apparently had to create their own playground because men disturb the harmony. :):lol:

Nothing wrong with that :D

interestingly this topic has turned into another "what women should do, or think, or not do, or blah blaa blaa" when in fact the op was aimed at the male population on thaivisa & what they do & say.

Shocker that it turned into another "blame the woman" thread hey??? :)

Let's turn it around.

By default we are being blamed for the reason why TV doesn't have many female members. Sorry to say that if this forum has evolved into something dominated my males, perhaps the owners etc should look inward instead of blaming the membership or trying to condition them.

Failing that, why not launch a site Ladiesonlythaivisa.com to ensure that you don't feel discriminated against.

Unbelievable.

You do seem to keep trying to twist things around here to suit your own agenda.  I asked a question on whether the misogyny exhibited by some men makes the forum less "friendly" for women. I also stated my views that we should have common courtesy to all others, but towards women in specific as the topic of this thread (I have taken similar stances before on gay-bashing, Muslim-bashing, and fat-bashing, for example.)  

You keep trying to change this to "what about the men-bashing?" point.  I don't hold with the male-bashing either, but as I wrote before, that is a red herring.

And who is blaming the men for there not being many female members?  As has been pointed out by many posters, there are factors involved here which results in there being more men than women here.   But in the course of trying to determine if this is a less female-friendly forum due to the misogyny, evidence was presented that at least a few women have left here because of it.  And that is a pretty good indication that they anti-female tone does make this forum less female-friendly.

So I quote you yet once again:  "unbelievable!"

Perhaps TV could add a subforum for "men that want to slag off western women" which would allow those of us ( many many many ) to let it all hang out, and which the obviously few women on TV could avoid, thereby not getting their knickers in a twist. Normal rules would continue on all other subforums.

Of course, in the principle of equality there should also be a similar subforum for women. Be good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a Thai related forum on which I can slag off western women without getting "banned"?

sorry to upset your ego tgw but no, the women of chickynet don't post slagging off men, women tend to have better things to talk about :)

Okay, I believe you.

My respects to the chickynet members then.

(could be good if the forum was publicly readable though, it could give an insight about what is actually being discussed there)

Perhaps TV could add a subforum for "men that want to slag off western women" which would allow those of us ( many many many ) to let it all hang out, and which the obviously few women on TV could avoid, thereby not getting their knickers in a twist. Normal rules would continue on all other subforums.

Of course, in the principle of equality there should also be a similar subforum for women. Be good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a Thai related forum on which I can slag off western women without getting "banned"?

I know tons, but it is forbidden to post links to competing forums here.

bonobo says

evidence was presented that at least a few women have left here because of it.

Can you point me to the post that contained the 'evidence' please.

Or could you point me to any post on Thaivisa where the poster demonstrates "hatred towards women" ..... not peevishness, or a little bit annoyed

but outright hatred towards women. I'm pretty sure you can't.

Edited by sarahsbloke

We have 96,000 members.

No you don't. That figure includes the thousands of banned members.

Yes I do.  

Whether the figure is 96,000 or 10,000, the ratio remains the same.  The only kicker is if there is a higher percentage of banned or inactive male members as compared to female.

If we have 50,000 members, then that means we have 5,000 females, roughly.  So the ratio of female mods to males changes not one whit.  The only thing which changes is that instead of 0.06% of women members being mods, it is roughly 0.12%.

sorry to upset your ego tgw but no, the women of chickynet don't post slagging off men, women tend to have better things to talk about :)

shame the same cant be said about thaivisaforum(the ladies forum)

what turns you off?

things that men do that make you go"ughh!"

started by no other than one of our new resident mods! :D

ahh tigerfish, sensitive soul you are, those threads are not slagging off men & are no worse than what is posted & allowed to run in farang pub & general about women on a near daily basis.

But again, if you see something that upsets you then use the report button rather than just bitch about it months after the fact. :)

interestingly this topic has turned into another "what women should do, or think, or not do, or blah blaa blaa" when in fact the op was aimed at the male population on thaivisa & what they do & say.

Shocker that it turned into another "blame the woman" thread hey??? :)

Let's turn it around.

By default we are being blamed for the reason why TV doesn't have many female members. Sorry to say that if this forum has evolved into something dominated my males, perhaps the owners etc should look inward instead of blaming the membership or trying to condition them.

Failing that, why not launch a site Ladiesonlythaivisa.com to ensure that you don't feel discriminated against.

Unbelievable.

You do seem to keep trying to twist things around here to suit your own agenda. I asked a question on whether the misogyny exhibited by some men makes the forum less "friendly" for women. I also stated my views that we should have common courtesy to all others, but towards women in specific as the topic of this thread (I have taken similar stances before on gay-bashing, Muslim-bashing, and fat-bashing, for example.)

You keep trying to change this to "what about the men-bashing?" point. I don't hold with the male-bashing either, but as I wrote before, that is a red herring.

And who is blaming the men for there not being many female members? As has been pointed out by many posters, there are factors involved here which results in there being more men than women here. But in the course of trying to determine if this is a less female-friendly forum due to the misogyny, evidence was presented that at least a few women have left here because of it. And that is a pretty good indication that they anti-female tone does make this forum less female-friendly.

So I quote you yet once again: "unbelievable!"

My view point:

Given that any forum is the product of the people that post on it ( if you want a good example, The Lonely Planet Thailand sub forum went down the gurgler when most of the regular contributors left after the BBC bought it ), if there is a trend to misogny and anti western women feeling, that is because many of the posters are that way inclined. So why should the above posters care if women post on TV. I'm sure the vast number of regular posters could care less is there were no women on TV at all. I certainly don't read TV to get western women's view point on things Thai related, especially as I come to Thailand to get away from the female dominated anti male PC western world.

ahh tigerfish, sensitive soul you are, those threads are not slagging off men & are no worse than what is posted & allowed to run in farang pub & general about women on a near daily basis.

But again, if you see something that upsets you then use the report button rather than just bitch about it months after the fact. :D

been there done that.

funny though that thread was and is still running with over 175 posts

yet when a thread was started about what women do on the same line of thought, guess what?

it got closed! :)

Edited by tigerfish

But again, if you see something that upsets you then use the report button rather than just bitch about it months after the fact. :D

been there done that.

yet when a thread was started about what women do on the same line of thought, guess what?

it got closed! :)

Deserves a bit more than Boo's reply, I feel:

lol.

The women who post on thaivisa care. Accept it & move on

Edited by tgw

been there done that.

yet when a thread was started about what women on the smae line, guess what?

it got closed!

The thread in ladies has remained civil without resorting to derogatory & offensive language & terminology. I very much doubt the one you claim was closed about women was conducted in the same manner :)

bonobo says
evidence was presented that at least a few women have left here because of it.

Can you point me to the post that contained the 'evidence' please.

Or could you point me to any post on Thaivisa where the poster demonstrates "hatred towards women" ..... not peevishness, or a little bit annoyed

but outright hatred towards women. I'm pretty sure you can't.

I'm sure there aren't any, but only because the posters desiring to post such know they'll get banned if they do.

I doubt if western women know how many western men hate them, for all the reasons that I can't write here, or it'll get deleted, but they should be worried.

How do you use the 10% figure Bonobo, it seems a very high figure if the Thai Visa members list is correct.?.

According to the members list there are 4847 x 20 pages of members total which = roughly 96,940 members total, of those pages only 54 pages are female members which = 1080 female members, of those 112 are banned.

IMO most women don't use this site for certain reasons, mainly because of language barrier for Thais, farang women don't use the site because they probably see it as male dominated and farang women also don't use Thai Visa because they think that farang males have no interest in farang women and are only interested in Thai women.

It would be nice to see more women use the site but I can't see it happening in the near future..

I will freely admit that I am using a figure I have read being bandied about since I joined TV.  And I only brought that up when a poster wrote that 80% of all female members are mods/admin.  Even with your, figures, and I don't know if those are right, 0.6% is hardly 80%.

OK. I am done.

I've issued warns about discussing moderation. I've issued public warns about discussing moderation.

Next person to cross that line will receive a suspension and this thread will be closed.

Okay, I believe you.

My respects to the chickynet members then.

(could be good if the forum was publicly readable though, it could give an insight about what is actually being discussed there)

There is an international forum for bargirls and strippers. Threads: 109,181, Posts: 1,669,721, Members: 64,906 . It is almost 95% women. Anyone can join and if you want to hear men bashing that is the place to go. I don’t think I should post the name here. I’ve been suspended there a number of times. The women don’t like it when I talk about Thailand. The men don’t like it either, I think it makes them feel stupid.