Export License For Antiques

Rorycook

Please can anybody help me??

I have found a beautiful antique chest of drawers and I want to take it back to the UK but someone warned me that I would need an Export license, I've looked on the Thai customs website for a link to a form or some kind of guidance but to no avail!

PLEASE HELP

you will get all the info in the museum of history.

In any case if there are no Budda images, 99% you can ship without any license (cheaper). Just use DHL.

Go to chatuckak market and the DHL office inside the market will pack and ship everything, don't worry also Budda images are covered with some "glued paper" so that at X ray they appear something different.

If you use the express courier they will tell you what to do and what no to do, the law is something which also the custom police doesn't know. The right shipper and you get the chest.

This is nothing illegal, is just normal thai practice.

Edited by duke69

you will get all the info in the museum of history.

In any case if there are no Budda images, 99% you can ship without any license (cheaper). Just use DHL.

Go to chatuckak market and the DHL office inside the market will pack and ship everything, don't worry also Budda images are covered with some "glued paper" so that at X ray they appear something different.

If you use the express courier they will tell you what to do and what no to do, the law is something which also the custom police doesn't know. The right shipper and you get the chest.

This is nothing illegal, is just normal thai practice.

If it's a large chest of drawers, DHL will charge like a wounded dogs...

here are the rules.

Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or fragments there of are forbidden to be taken out of Thailand. (With the exceptions only for worshipping by Buddhists ; or cultural exchanges; or studying purposes. A license must be obtained from the Department of Fine Arts).

A license must be obtained from the Department of Fine Arts in order that such objects of antiquity or objects of art, irrespective of whether they are originals or reproductions. may be taken out of the country.

Procedure for license application :

a) Photograph the front view of objects and make two postcard-sized prints (not more than 5 pieces in one photograph)

:o The passport of the applicant must be photocopied

c)  Objects together with photographs and applicant's passport with photocopy must be taken to the National Museums Division, Bangkok or the National Mus eums in following provinces : Chiang Mai, Songkhla, Phuket, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani (Ban Chiang) at least 7-10 days before the date or shipment or departure of the applicant in order to process the application and for the date or shipment or departur e of the applicant in order to process the application and for inspection. For further information, please contact the Bangkok National Museum, Tel:2261661.