Honda Tena

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on why my lights are dim on my Honda 2 stroke. On start up they are bright, then go dim, then bright then... you get the idea. Honda shop can't sort it, wiring seems ok, anyone help. Cheers

Sorry, in spite of quite a bit of experience with Tenas, I don't have a clue about your problem. I have two Tenas at present, both lovely little bikes. I had one previously that had dim headlights.. I sold it for 3,000 baht and bought the ones I have for 5,000 each. So, if you really can't sort it out, get a different one. I love the old two strokes, and alas it is getting really hard to find clean well preserved examples.

Dim lights are usually caused by less than optimum voltage. Bad ground is a leading cause of wiring problems. Check wiring for splices as they are most prone to high resistance, which will cause a voltage drop. A quick check with a volt meter will tell right away if this is the case. If wiring OK, the lighting coil in magneto/alternator is probably failing. Possibly the voltage regulator is so equipped, altho it does not seem to be in this case.

I agree with Seedy, check the electric system. Check the battery if it hold enough current and charges enough. If your lights are dim at low rpm and get brighter the higher you rev the engine you probably need to think about getting a new battery (check it first).

Edited by Richard-BKK

I agree with Seedy, check the electric system. Check the battery if it hold enough current and charges enough. If your lights are dim at low rpm and get brighter the higher you rev the engine you probably need to think about getting a new battery (check it first).

agreed. my wife's scooter needs to get the battery charged every few months. the battery is still good, but it's in the nature of the beast. that's probably why so many Thais turn off their lights, day and night.... to save the battery :)

If low light on idle and bright at revs replace the battery.

If not

I think what Seedy means by checking the electrical system is:

Disconnect and reconnect any electrical connection you can find. This simple action cleans the contact. Amen to the bad ground.

I used to drive an Alfa Romeo where the whole headlight system was grounded through the chrome headlight bezel, If I drove over a really bad bump it would come loose and the lights would go out.

Find any fuses and remove and refit them.

Find the main ground connection on the frame of engine and clean it. If the main ground is on the frame there maybe a ground wire that goes from the frame to the engine. If there is no wire between frame and engine, corrosion may have built up between the engine and frame. This can be solved by adding a wire between the engine and frame.

Just in case you find a mutlimeter.

Electrosport diagnosis diagram

Edited by VocalNeal

If low light on idle and bright at revs replace the battery.

If not

I think what Seedy means by checking the electrical system is:

Disconnect and reconnect any electrical connection you can find. This simple action cleans the contact. Amen to the bad ground.

I used to drive an Alfa Romeo where the whole headlight system was grounded through the chrome headlight bezel, If I drove over a really bad bump it would come loose and the lights would go out.

Find any fuses and remove and refit them.

Find the main ground connection on the frame of engine and clean it. If the main ground is on the frame there maybe a ground wire that goes from the frame to the engine. If there is no wire between frame and engine, corrosion may have built up between the engine and frame. This can be solved by adding a wire between the engine and frame.

Just in case you find a mutlimeter.

Electrosport diagnosis diagram

Thanks everybody. I will get downstairs in the morning and try to check the points you've brought up.

That's a very cool looking little Tena there. It looks like a clutchless one? Anyway looks well worth fixing. I'd suggest finding a good mechanic - tip, look for older men who are working on motorbikes (especially if they are not drunk). The younger guys are generally clueless.

That's a very cool looking little Tena there. It looks like a clutchless one? Anyway looks well worth fixing. I'd suggest finding a good mechanic - tip, look for older men who are working on motorbikes (especially if they are not drunk). The younger guys are generally clueless.

Thanks for your kind comments, brought a smile to my face! Went to a local repair shop at the market this morning,old chap there checked and found the regulator at fault, ended up buying it from Honda Sapan kwai at 220 Baht. Now have a very bright "Funny" By the way she's a 5 speed bike with a clutch and a rear disc.

Thanks for your kind comments, brought a smile to my face! Went to a local repair shop at the market this morning,old chap there checked and found the regulator at fault, ended up buying it from Honda Sapan kwai at 220 Baht. Now have a very bright "Funny" By the way she's a 5 speed bike with a clutch and a rear disc.

Thats great! Yeah the old guys know how to fix stuff. I used to have a five speed clutch Tena and I miss it.. have two click-through four speed ones now. Easier to drive with burdens, but not as fun.