My New Tiger Boxer 232.6cc

CMX

Riding a New Tiger Boxer 250RS

PreScript about necessary gear

Let me mention, even before fully testing and prior to reporting on the first experiences of the ride on my new Tiger Boxer 250RS, that while this year avoiding Chiang Mai’s March Madness - its Traditional Thai Smoke-in and the Modern Farang Whining Competition – followed in April by the particularly ineffectual Rain Dances, that I assembled back in the States some bits of equipment, including my Bell helmets, mesh armor, luggage, GPS stuff, tubeless tire mushroom-style repair kit, reflective tape and so forth. I wish to thank those who offered ideas for my preparations.

Although tempted by pictures of skulls and other manly and nihilistic expressions available by trainloads - Born to Die, War Beats Peace, and representations of iron crosses, fires galore, national and Confederate symbols, and on and on – I avoided purchasing any, as I felt such trappings might appear, oh, a little silly on a 250cc, particularly in Thailand. My bandannas just say “Feel the Wind,” as I figure that I can live up, at least, to that. (Why motorcycles in the U.S. attract so many riders who love such gear is hard to say, though of course it is particularly handy to be suicidal if we like to ride in Thailand.)

I am opposed to the idea of traveling light when touring with a motor vehicle, even a motorcycle. It would be intolerable to me to visit a village in furthest Thailand without having at hand, at least, one cummerbund. Damp inner/underwear to pack or don in the morning goes behind where my imagination will reach, and any frank GF will tell you that salty is one thing, rank clothes another (no linguistic ability required), and she's gonna be downwind. It goes without saying that in touring by bike, we should always have room for our silk sheets, for one does not use a motorcycle to abandon comfort and the senses, but to improve upon them. There are even isolated spots where one is wise to have fetched towels and other such things. In case of heavy rains, I carry some materials to read, a deck of cards, sometimes hard to acquire beverages. In fact, I like to know that I'm prepared for all emergencies.

Thus it was that I ordered the top case (and a windscreen) from the factory. (I absolutely agree that the addition of a top case to a bike with a high rear end is spectacularly ugly, but generally speaking, except for myself, I prefer function to beauty.) Additionally, I brought a large duffel and saddlebags (latter festooned now with reflective tape). Then I got a tank bag for the tux (didn't fit, only good for pillow cases). But anything else would be uncivilized. I hope to post a picture this month showing the appearance of a properly kitted travelling bike.

Respectfully submitted,

Paul Pseudonym Delagardi

Edited by CMX