What Price Are You Getting For Your Fish ?

My wife has a small fish farm operation. It's a new enterprise for her, and she has a bunch of Pla Duk which have reached market size. The fish range from 4-6 fish per Kilo. They are healthy and look nice, they also taste good. Although BBQ is not my favorite way of eating fish. It seems to me that people are trying to get the absolute lowest price out of her for the fish, and so far she has stuck to her guns. 45 Baht retail and 40 Baht wholesale. I am trying to stay out of it, but I did tell her to just sell to everyone for 40 Baht. In town they sell for 50Baht at the market.

We usually sell pla duk at 45 baht a kilo, but have had times when there was a glut and we sold at 100 baht for 3 kilos. I don't think we would do that again, because we have a better distribution system! By the way, we are in Buriram.

I pay 45 Baht per Kilo for Catfish in the local market, so I would have thought that wholesale prices would be a fair bit lower.

The retail price is substantially higher in Khon Kaen or rather it was, I haven't enquired recently.

his wife's selling at retail price, mine's selling at village community price(villagers come and buy from my house)...60/kg is the right price at the moment if i buy from pop n mom shop or the talat.

In post 5, you said they were selling for 40 and 50. The price seem to go up, when you sell them out of your place to 60. Don't get that. Maybe you can explain it. Has to be a reason for this.

his wife's selling at retail price, mine's selling at village community price(villagers come and buy from my house)...60/kg is the right price at the moment if i buy from pop n mom shop or the talat.

In post 5, you said they were selling for 40 and 50. The price seem to go up, when you sell them out of your place to 60. Don't get that. Maybe you can explain it. Has to be a reason for this.

Hi Guys

In the market at retail in Nachaliang Phetchabun, the price is 60 baht per kilo, to the locals in our village, the price will be lower, 45-50. When we have the family around and they have grazed all that has been on offer, my better half will sneak down to the pond with a net, I usually spot her tricks and start yelling hok sip baht, to no avail, so then the price will drop to zero. I must say that I have enjoyed our little enterprise, not made a lot of money, but looking to expand somewhat, we also have some frogs on the go as an experiment. Will let you know how that works out. To Red Bull Horn, many thanks for all of your help in the past, if you are ever in Phetchabun province please feel free to visit, guess what will be on the menu, or part of it at least!

Chris H

Edited by aitch52

It works like this...farmgate price currently's at 39 THB/kg, wholesalers deliver to retails plus another 8-10 THB on top of 39 THB/kg they bought from pond owners, retailers sells at 60 THB/kg to cusumers end.

I told my wife if she sells at 60, she can give another fish that weight about 100-160gm for free (use her judgement). But if she decides to sell Big 50 and Small 40, then HEL'L NO !!!... Sometimes when it's over by a 100gm, she must collect 55 for Big and the same apply to Small. Villagers usually will understand but there's still a handfull of those cheapskates who will try their luck :) ...and the excuse i'll give is pellet feeds are expensive and moreover we're selling cheap already :D , not the retail price that they'd pay...at 60 :D

Edited by RedBullHorn

Hi Guys

In the market at retail in Nachaliang Phetchabun, the price is 60 baht per kilo, to the locals in our village, the price will be lower, 45-50. When we have the family around and they have grazed all that has been on offer, my better half will sneak down to the pond with a net, I usually spot her tricks and start yelling hok sip baht, to no avail, so then the price will drop to zero. I must say that I have enjoyed our little enterprise, not made a lot of money, but looking to expand somewhat, we also have some frogs on the go as an experiment. Will let you know how that works out. To Red Bull Horn, many thanks for all of your help in the past, if you are ever in Phetchabun province please feel free to visit, guess what will be on the menu, or part of it at least!

Chris H

My pleasure :) ...Glad things work out well, one day i'll visit and PM me if you're coming my way...i'll let you try one of my favourite dish...

Laup Pla Duk and wash down with chilled beer !

Had a guy call the wife this morning, wanting to buy fish at 35Baht/K. He also wanted her to pay for the transportation of the fish. He previously wanted to pay 30 B/K. Don't want to understand the price, for which they are being sold for. I imagine when he needs some fish, he will come and buy them at the proper price.

Please check around a bit...ask pond owners for current farmgate price (Thais call it "pond front price"-La Ka Na Bor ) to confirm the price you're been offered. The further you live away from Bangkok central area the more expensive the pellet feed price are due to transportation cost thus fetching a higher selling price...example...Chiang Rai = 39 THB/kg , Phisanulok = 37 THB/kg, Nakorn Sawan 35 THB/kg...so on...

Sometimes it will happen, when wholesalers are living far away or in other province, they may ask for some monetary incentive to cover gas or just pass the cost of transportation to pond owners.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Please check around a bit...ask pond owners for current farmgate price (Thais call it "pond front price"-La Ka Na Bor ) to confirm the price you're been offered. The further you live away from Bangkok central area the more expensive the pellet feed price are due to transportation cost thus fetching a higher selling price...example...Chiang Rai = 39 THB/kg , Phisanulok = 37 THB/kg, Nakorn Sawan 35 THB/kg...so on...

Sometimes it will happen, when wholesalers are living far away or in other province, they may ask for some monetary incentive to cover gas or just pass the cost of transportation to pond owners.

No, this guy lives barely out side of town, and appears to sell to the local market at 42/K. Which is none of my business. My wife sell's out the back door at 45, 10K or more at 40, and it's preferable then just selling out as low as possible. She doesn't depend on this for survival. I do encourage her to stay within the market prices, to which you all have contributed much, thank you.

• 1 year later...

We raise pla duk for our family consumption, brought 500 fingerling's to raise and found out how expensive it is to raise them from fingerling size. We ate quite a few of the big one's and had about a hundred left that quit growing, remain at the same size, my girls like them that way, I do not like to purchase from the local market because many of the fish I find have an earthly taste in them.

I found a solution to my problem, where the local fish truck visits the village selling pla duk for 30 baht a kilo, my wife buys 5-10 kilos of fish ,I put them in my cement pond and keep them there long enough to take the dirt taste out of them, before eating them , it requires a change of pond water once or twice a week, which I used to water my garden with great results.

The going price in our village is 30 baht / kilo, it cost more to pellet feed them, from fingerling's to eating weight, the only satisfaction I get is eating my own great tasting fish. I see no profit margin to sell them so They are for the family.

Cheers

I don't buy pla duk from the local market, any market and anywhere else, period ! I only eat my own fishes that i raised because there's nothing else except pellet feed that goes into the ponds...other farms production, they wash everything of their piggeries into the ponds...I kid you not ! :lol:

Edited by RedBullHorn