Avenue Plans?

toenail

I was wondering why California Wow made their upstairs (yoga and cardio room) more small. According to one of the office workers, the MANAGER of the Avenue plans to make that area a..... "food court". This doesn't seem to be a good idea since the 4 restaurants on the second floor (in the back) have gone out of business. I have noticed the night market vendors have done a "nice job" tearing up the landscape around the area (no grass now, just dirt) and the irony of it all it that it is harder to get to Villa Market , CA Wow, or to the stores in the back because of the rows of vendors blocking the area. Plan gone wrong.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic (failure of The Avenue mall and the reasons therefore) has been discussed ad-nauseum on the forum already. Therefore, I will add nothing more to it. [Except that I will add nothing to it.] :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

A food court? :) They really do not know what they are doing. The open space on the second floor is now an area to buy cellphones. Who wants to browse for cellphones in the heat?

The owners should just throw in the towel and put up a stylish hotel.

TheWalkingMan

A couple months back The Avenue brought in a new marketing manager to try and turn things around and the Night Market was a big part of that. But, personally, I hate it. Hard to walk through to get to Wow or the movies at night, hard to see with all the low-hanging bulbs and if I were a shop owner there, I'd be pissed off as anything that I'd paid big rent to have a bunch of flea market sellers block the view and access to my shop.

It has, however, brought a lot of trade to the complex, so....

I think a decent food court could work, particularly at night if they advertise it in the night market.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

A food court could help IF it has some outlets with different kinds of food than at Central. I also hate the night market but they were clearly desperate so I can't blame them really.

Edited by Jingthing

The night market is OK for me but what is behind me is that shopowners here in Thailand always think that they also own the sidewalk and even the road in front of their shop.Why is it allowed to put obstacles on the sidewalk or prohibit people from parking in front of their shop on the public road?

Can't they just keep their business on their own premises?

A food court would have to be air conditioned, yes.

Why? Just look at the many open air restaurants around.

The always busy Kiss opposite Mikes is nothing more than a food court with slow service.

Or Tony's Food Court on Third Road.

The always busy Kiss opposite Mikes is nothing more than a food court with slow service.

Funny, silly arguments.

Tony's is a total flop.

Kiss is a restaurant.

I said food courts. They will be competing with OTHER major mall food courts, all air conditioned.

It's a moot point. If this is happening at the Avenue, it will be an indoor space.

Edited by Jingthing

Funny, silly arguments.

Tony's is a total flop.

Kiss is a restaurant.

I said food courts. They will be competing with OTHER major mall food courts, all air conditioned.

It's a moot point. If this is happening at the Avenue, it will be an indoor space.

Why shouldn't they put the foodcourt indoor.After all they have plenty of unrented space available. :)

Funny, silly arguments.

Tony's is a total flop.

Kiss is a restaurant.

So what about the always busy outdoor food court at the corner of Third and Soi 17?

Edited by PattayaParent

The night market is OK for me but what is behind me is that shopowners here in Thailand always think that they also own the sidewalk and even the road in front of their shop.Why is it allowed to put obstacles on the sidewalk or prohibit people from parking in front of their shop on the public road?

If I was one of the businesses paying high rent at Avenue (such as Addidas, Starbucks, Mc Donalds...) I would be upset how the night vendors are blocking my customers into MY shop. Getting to CA Wow or the movies at night is like walking through a maze. Ok, it is a good idea to bring in the vendors, but enforce the "guide lines" on leaving space for the people to walk through to get to the stores who need business.

Nobody has mentioned the food court in Mikes Mall, opposite Kiss.

Also no-body has mentioned the Thai Style food stalls behind The Avenue, through the hole in the fence on the scrub land.

I was up at Tesco-Lotus South the other day, and see their food court has now an "Up Market" look, like RGP, with central islands of different types of food.

A food court? :) They really do not know what they are doing. The open space on the second floor is now an area to buy cellphones. Who wants to browse for cellphones in the heat?

The owners should just throw in the towel and put up a stylish hotel.

TheWalkingMan

no they cant do that because i have a life membership at cal wow and i always assumed they meant my life not that of the gym------------wait what if i have it the wrong way round ! not fair . right must drink more and make sure i die before they close and get moneys worth out of them he he good plan

I think the Management is doing a good Job. The Avenue was most of the time dead, hardly any People going there, evenings it had a empty look to it. People like to go where people already are (at least when it comes to shopping). The outside Vendors and Stalls did bring in a lot of people. If they have a look around they will maybe also go to the higher priced Shops and buy there.

However if they put much more Restaurants and Foodoutlets in that Mall then they may better change it to the Food Avenue, the Eat out Hub of Pattaya.

Nobody has mentioned the food court in Mikes Mall, opposite Kiss.

Also no-body has mentioned the Thai Style food stalls behind The Avenue, through the hole in the fence on the scrub land.

I was up at Tesco-Lotus South the other day, and see their food court has now an "Up Market" look, like RGP, with central islands of different types of food.

Do they sell beer now or is it still a BYO?

For me Carrerour is best as I can get a beer there with my lunch.

I can't say why this is in general, but many places it is because they DO own it. For example the "Day-Night" area in South Pattaya - the area behind Tukcom included - is all private area and shop owners who bought property in the area have been given the right to the sidewalk and street part in front of their shop by the Day-Night group. And I also don't understand why anyone would be upset about that when there is a 5 story parking house available for free in the area.

I can't say why this is in general, but many places it is because they DO own it. For example the "Day-Night" area in South Pattaya - the area behind Tukcom included - is all private area and shop owners who bought property in the area have been given the right to the sidewalk and street part in front of their shop by the Day-Night group. And I also don't understand why anyone would be upset about that when there is a 5 story parking house available for free in the area.

Phil,I have to disagree with you on this up to a certain point.

First of all second road and most of the roads in Pattaya aren't private area so they don't own the sidewalks.However it has happened countless times to me already that when I park my car on central Pattaya,or some other public big road where ther are parking spaces marked on the road,that the shopowner opens his window and demands that I move my car out of the front of his shop.I doubt this happens only to me and I question his rights to demand this but you know ij you don't move the car you risk it to be damaged on your return.

Then back to Soi Day-Night,indeed this is a private area,however if I remember correctly there are parking spaces marked on the road with an intention don't you think.Also I know that a private property owner can transfer the rights to the roads to the government so that in that case the Government takes care of the maintenance of those roads.Best way to know if this is happened to look if the public garbage truck picks up the garbage from the premises or if this is done by a private company.

As far as I remember this is done in this case by the public service,but as you live there you can surely confirm if this is the case,so once again they have no rights to block the sideways.

First of all second road and most of the roads in Pattaya aren't private area so they don't own the sidewalks.However it has happened countless times to me already that when I park my car on central Pattaya,or some other public big road where ther are parking spaces marked on the road,that the shopowner opens his window and demands that I move my car out of the front of his shop.I doubt this happens only to me and I question his rights to demand this but you know ij you don't move the car you risk it to be damaged on your return.

Then back to Soi Day-Night,indeed this is a private area,however if I remember correctly there are parking spaces marked on the road with an intention don't you think.Also I know that a private property owner can transfer the rights to the roads to the government so that in that case the Government takes care of the maintenance of those roads.Best way to know if this is happened to look if the public garbage truck picks up the garbage from the premises or if this is done by a private company.

As far as I remember this is done in this case by the public service,but as you live there you can surely confirm if this is the case,so once again they have no rights to block the sideways.

I think as long as you pay for the garbage collection the government will pick it up whether private or public area. I don't know if it is a private or public garbage collector but I know I have to pay, I think 40 baht/month for the collection. As for marked parking areas, that just show you which area belong to which shop. You will see many shops, particularly restaurants who have converted their parking space to an al-fresco dining area. BTW I don't live here, just have a shop.

Anyway, as you pointed out yourself, it is the same everywhere you go, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some rule here that offers the shop the space in front of the shop. Maybe someone with the appropriate legal background can settle the question.

Edited by Phil Conners

I think as long as you pay for the garbage collection the government will pick it up whether private or public area. I don't know if it is a private or public garbage collector but I know I have to pay, I think 40 baht/month for the collection. As for marked parking areas, that just show you which area belong to which shop. You will see many shops, particularly restaurants who have converted their parking space to an al-fresco dining area. BTW I don't live here, just have a shop.

Anyway, as you pointed out yourself, it is the same everywhere you go, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some rule here that offers the shop the space in front of the shop. Maybe someone with the appropriate legal background can settle the question.

I'm pretty sure nobody offers a shopowner a part of second road or central pattaya road. :)

I'm pretty sure nobody offers a shopowner a part of second road or central pattaya road. :D

You never know with Thailand. They have some weird rules on the books. Did you know for example that you're allowed to drive a motorbike on the sidewalk if there is a lot of traffic? It's in the highway code. :)