Avenue Plans?

toenail

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they accept everyone but their core business is tour buses

You have eaten there? What is this chicken specialty they do about? How much is it? Etc.

Did I get this right? There is a restaurant in town that you haven't tried yet? Take the bull by the horns, Mr. JT....tongue.png

I'm intimidated by this place. I need reconnaissance.

Don't be intimidated, just carry a jar of pickles with you when you go there.

I'm only a man. I'm not Rambo. What's with this chicken place? It's spooks me. I'm afraid.

Ice rink, entertainment center, theme bars... nothing will bring in business up to its potential/max until a decent predistian crossing is placed in front of the Avenue complex. Trying to cross 2nd Road in front of the Avenue is like playing "Thailand" roulette. It becomes tiring and many people avoid it due to the difficulty of access.

I recall actually several years ago,only slightly before they start building the avenue,there were plans to build a pedestrian bridge,at that location about a hundred meters southwards.

The cinema there at the Villa site, what ? 8 mostly all English language films showing,....dedicate just one of the eight cinema rooms or whatever you would call them to showing films of an era that most elderly ex pats would appreciate Aldo Ray for one,great in his day Clara Bow,Lillian Gish,Vilma Banky,Mary Pickford

Would go down a treat

Edited by 23962323

The cinema there at the Villa site, what ? 8 mostly all English language films showing,....dedicate just one of the eight cinema rooms or whatever you would call them to showing films of an era that most elderly ex pats would appreciate Aldo Ray for one,great in his day Clara Bow,Lillian Gish,Vilma Banky,Mary Pickford

Would go down a treat

I thought of something similar, but not as far back as Mary Pickford. They could do some type of classic film series or something with older movies. There is a theater in Austin, Texas which is running a summer of '82 movie series: Poltergeist, The Road Warrior, The Wrath of Kahn, Rocky III, The Thing, E.T., Tron.

Way back in the 80's the theater (symphony, ballet), in my hometown, put on a classic movie series. Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend, Veritgo, Rear Window (first time I ever saw Grace Kelly... nice). It was a huge success. The theater hoped to get 200 people just to break even but over a thousand showed up.

With the right promotion, this type of series could go over very well in a place like Pattaya. Lots of older people who are tired of the same story lines being rehashed and some of the youngsters might appreciate seeing a classic on the big screen.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I had some liquid courage (green tea actually) and made the brave move of approaching the

Amazing Year of Miracle Chicken Chinese Thailand Restaurant and MahJong Emporium at the Avenue Mall.

I made that up. It's that weird chicken restaurant.

Anyway, I wasn't actually game for eating there when I approached (not hungry) but I was in the mall anyway and there it was.

Entered gamely about 8 P.M. and did see a table of diners and a bunch of people started yelling at me in a friendly way: CLOSED.

Well that wasn't going to satisfy me. I was in there. I demanded INFORMATION.

Why are you closed? Can I see a menu?

OK, the deal is this.

Yes this restaurant is geared towards (Chinese?) tour groups.

Yes you can eat there independently, but you must reserve one day in advance as otherwise they won't have the food in stock to serve you.

Its a new place and maybe later you won't need to reserve, but for now, you must reserve.

What is it?

I'm still not totally sure, but it is very Chinese.

What they do is charge 399 drinks not included (and I'm guessing drinks ain't cheap) and they serve you a bunch of COURSES. Not Asian style all at once ... COURSES. There is only one choice. The big set or nothing.

Bring a course, you eat it, then another course.

The pictures on the menu card, believe it or not did give me all that much information on what this food will be like.

I did glean two of the courses were things I personally have no desire to eat:

Chicken kidneys, yes a plate of chicken kidneys

and

Some kind of plate of bones where you eat the marrow, not sure what animal, I'm just not into marrow

Yes the target market is definitely Chinese people!

I asked what region of China the food was from as was told Taiwan. However, this may be where the owners are from because Guangdong province is on a sign outside. Or is it Guangzhou city? It's possible I got both wrong, must check again. Anyway, those are in Canton mainland China, not Taiwan.

Anyway, I have to say this place isn't for me. A bit too authentic. The kind of Chinese that is into weird organs and dramatic textures doesn't appeal to me. I could waste a few dishes but the pictures didn't excite me either. So I guess I may not be as adventurous as some might think.

Edited by Jingthing

A food court would have to be air conditioned, yes.

Why? Just look at the many open air restaurants around.

The always busy Kiss opposite Mikes is nothing more than a food court with slow service.

Or Tony's Food Court on Third Road.

Won't use Kiss due to slow service and ignorance by staff 2 years ago.

Maybe service has changed nowadays but I can't believe JT classed it as a restarant in a post below yours that I'm replying to.

More like a 24 hour fast food cafe with slow service thrown is what I class it as in my past experience.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I still think Kiss is a restaurant. Different classes and quality levels of eateries are restaurants. They have a menu and waiters. Their tables are only for food from their kitchen. A food court is a bunch of mini food vendors with shared tables. (Duh.)

Edited by Jingthing

I still think Kiss is a restaurant. Different classes and quality levels of eateries are restaurants. They have a menu and waiters. Their tables are only for food from their kitchen. A food court is a bunch of mini food vendors with shared tables. (Duh.)

Duh eh. You want to class Kiss as such up to you I gave my thoughts on kiss in my previous post but according to your definition you must then also class the little wonder cafe as a restarant too which is in the same arcade. it has a menu and waiters and so on eh.

Your foodie reviews on TV will be taken with a pinch of salt by me from now on. :o

Yes the Little Wonder is definitely a RESTAURANT business. I think this might be some kind of cultural difference. To me restaurant doesn't have to have a minimum size or quality level. They serve MEALS there, don't they? They have a discreet location and tables. What's the problem? I might call it a greasy spoon but that would imply I'm talking about a restaurant, not an eating utensil.

Are you under some bizarre impression that if you call a food business a restaurant that means they actually have great food/service, etc. or something? Weird.

Even McDonalds is a restaurant. A fast food franchise chain restaurant. A TYPE of restaurant. There are so many types of restaurants.

I'm just a private person who likes to comment about food. I'm not a professional reviewer, so deal with it. If you don't value my comments, I think I can deal with that very well as well!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes the Little Wonder is definitely a RESTAURANT business. I think this might be some kind of cultural difference. To me restaurant doesn't have to have a minimum size or quality level. They serve MEALS there, don't they? They have a discreet location and tables. What's the problem? I might call it a greasy spoon but that would imply I'm talking about a restaurant, not an eating utensil.

Are you under some bizarre impression that if you call a food business a restaurant that means they actually have great food/service, etc. or something? Weird.

Even McDonalds is a restaurant. A fast food franchise chain restaurant. A TYPE of restaurant. There are so many types of restaurants.

I'm just a private person who likes to comment about food. I'm not a professional reviewer, so deal with it. If you don't value my comments, I think I can deal with that very well as well!

Discreet location. :lol::lol::lol:

Can't wait to take the GF out for a meal and tell her it's a discreet location.

We turn up at Kiss and get seated at the front being choked by trafiics fumes from second road and have to listen to the blaring of horns with the odd beggar or street seller plying their trade.

Yeah JT very discreet indeed.

Thanks indeed for the laugh you have given me.:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by MB1

Discreet location. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

We turn up at Kiss and get seated at the front being choked by trafiics fumes from second road and have to listen to the blaring of horns with the odd beggar or street seller plying their trade.

Thanks indeed for the laugh you have viven me.laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

OK. Say hi to the GF. Enjoy your food.

BTW, I was using a secondary definition of discreet in regards to Little Wonder Restaurant. I get that you misunderstood me (or acted like you did, ha ha ha) though and glad I have provided fuel for your hilarious escapades.

http://onlinediction...m/word/discreet

2. Differing; distinct.

Edited by Jingthing

Discreet location. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Thanks indeed for the laugh you have viven me.laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

OK. Say hi to the GF. Enjoy your food.

BTW, I was using a secondary definition of discreet in regards to Little Wonder Restaurant. I get that you misunderstood me (or acted like you did, ha ha ha) though and glad I have provided fuel for your hilarious escapades.

http://onlinediction...m/word/discreet

2. Differing; distinct.

Then Try to make it clearer when posting and it avoids confusion JT and also if you were referring to the Little Wonder then you should have pointed that out also.

I have balls but there not crystal

Just so you know what I would think a discreet location would be.

A quiet place where one could go with your mistress off the beaten track where the hope and the chances of being detected are nil.

IMO that counts both Little Wonder and without a doubt Kiss out of being classed as discreet locations.

Anyway I'll drop this now as I feel we are veering way off topic.

Rgrds.

I see now that you were reffering to Little Wonder so apologies.

I stick by my words of not classing LW or X as discreet locations.

Edited by MB1

Nobody has mentioned the food court in Mikes Mall, opposite Kiss.

Also no-body has mentioned the Thai Style food stalls behind The Avenue, through the hole in the fence on the scrub land.

I was up at Tesco-Lotus South the other day, and see their food court has now an "Up Market" look, like RGP, with central islands of different types of food.

yecch. Never liked the quality of the food court at Mike's mall. And I in general like a place like that where I can people watch.

A food court would have to be air conditioned, yes.

Why? Just look at the many open air restaurants around.

The always busy Kiss opposite Mikes is nothing more than a food court with slow service.

Or Tony's Food Court on Third Road.

Won't use Kiss due to slow service and ignorance by staff 2 years ago.

Maybe service has changed nowadays but I can't believe JT classed it as a restarant in a post below yours that I'm replying to.

More like a 24 hour fast food cafe with slow service thrown is what I class it as in my past experience.

I very much doubt it, that describes the Kiss service when I first came here 18 years ago.

The roof covering the centre is being installed at the Ave

Guess they figured out that people get tired of walking around in the hot sun.

When they built this place the first thing i wrote was along the lines of who is ever going to an open air mall in this heat? it just wasnt thought through,we only ever go there for villa and then not that often.

Just to add my tuppence worth. Perhaps the spelling was wrong and should be discrete as in distinct or separate, and as to what is a restaurant my dictionary says a commercial premises where they prepare and serve food.

So Kiss and Little Wonder are both.

Just to add my tuppence worth. Perhaps the spelling was wrong and should be discrete as in distinct or separate, and as to what is a restaurant my dictionary says a commercial premises where they prepare and serve food.

So Kiss and Little Wonder are both.

Thanks for the correction. I did indeed misuse the word. The word I should have used is DISCRETE.

Wow I never knew Kiss was that bad! I used to go quite a bit and I like it. The first distinction in my book here and back home in the States is - indoors with AC or outdoors!

Kiss can be slow at times but usually (and hopefully) it is because they are busy. I've eaten at quite a few upscale places mostly back home and the food was subpar, in my view because they don't sell enough food and the perishable food gets served well beyond its due date.

At least with Kiss if you have to be outside there is some activity to check out.