Wrong Plane! Wrong Plane!

sceadugenga

Just curious to know if it was some of our members nearly flew to the wrong city on Air Asia last Tuesday.

The 11.30ish flight to Chiang Rai from BKK was about to shut the doors when these two farang sitting behind me leapt up and ran for the door yelling, "stop stop,we're supposed to be on the Chiang Mai flight". Not sure how they found out, maybe sitting in someone else's seats or they were among the rare few who listen to Captains announcements.

I've heard about this of course but it's the first time I've witnessed it personally in many years of flying.

Isn't this a security breach? I thought with all manner of security checks nowadays this is almost an impossibility. For example no plane will take off without the passenger, whose baggage has been checked-in, aboard. Much less, an unauthorised passenger on a plane!

In the case of the OP, it was fortunately an innocent mistake but geez, makes me think why we subject ourselves to all manner of inconveniences for the sake of "security" when the airport authorities do not do their part as well. Airport security is as good as its weakest link and in the example of the OP, it's precisely how bombers exploit such weak points.

Laughter is the best medicine. That is an eff-ing funny story.

Isn't the gate number printed on the boarding pass? D'oh!!

At least they got the airport right. :)

> How could they check in?

The checking in wouldn't have been the issue, it'd be the boarding ticket check at the gate. It happens. A good way to make this very unlikely to happen is scanning a barcode on the boarding ticket.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Haven't flown domestically with them for some time. Do they still not allocate seating? In the past one boarded and sat where they wanted!

They've gone all high tech now, can pick your seat when booking your flight, which is great.

As for the topic, what about their luggage in the hold, surly if they get off so does their luggage for obvious reasons.

one would hope their baggage went to the right place

Haven't flown domestically with them for some time. Do they still not allocate seating? In the past one boarded and sat where they wanted!

They've gone all high tech now, can pick your seat when booking your flight, which is great.

As for the topic, what about their luggage in the hold, surly if they get off so does their luggage for obvious reasons.

We had allocated seats, a first for me on this airline.

I suppose the luggage was on the correct flight, which poses the question..... is a suitcase smarter than a farang travelling in Thailand?

We had allocated seats, a first for me on this airline.

I suppose the luggage was on the correct flight, which poses the question..... is a suitcase smarter than a farang travelling in Thailand?

Not sure about the farang, but obviously smarter than the people who let them on the wrong plane.

Maybe they bought tickets unwittingly to Chiang Mai and thought it is Chaing Rai and discovered their mistake by looking into the in flight magazine.

So, to avoid loosing face in such a situation as it is custom here or to avoid to become the major subject of a thread, one has to remain silent, accept his failure and take the next bus.

I did hear a story many years ago before the current security hooha about a woman in the States who was going to Oakland, California, and found herself over the Pacific on a non-stop to Aukland, New Zealand. Whether true or not I don't know - but makes a good story!

Here follows a list of the Chiang Mai duos comments after their holiday:

I was bitten by a mosquito - no-one said they could bite.

I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.

It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during "siesta" time - this should be banned.

On my holiday to Bangkok in Thailand , I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served Thai food. I don't like spicy food at all.

We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels.

The beach was too sandy.

Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women.

We bought "Ray-Ban" sunglasses for five hundred Baht from a street trader, only to find out they were fake.

No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled.

It took us 12 hours to fly home from Bangkok to England it only took the Chinese three hours to get home.

My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if they had put us in the room that we booked.

I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends' three-bedroom apartment, and ours was significantly smaller.

The brochure stated: "No hairdressers at the accommodation". We're trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?

There are too many Thai people. The receptionist speaks Thai. The food is Thai. Too many foreigners.

We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white.

We had to queue outside with no air conditioning.

It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel.

A visit at a to the Rose Garden my husband spotted a visibly aroused elephant, the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".

My wife threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been locked in by staff. In fact, she had mistaken the "do not disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.

Maybe they bought tickets unwittingly to Chiang Mai and thought it is Chaing Rai and discovered their mistake by looking into the in flight magazine.

So, to avoid loosing face in such a situation as it is custom here or to avoid to become the major subject of a thread, one has to remain silent, accept his failure and take the next bus.

I suspect that I would have said nothing and just got the bus the 200km to CR.

With my luck I'd have ended up in Hat Yai though.

I was once shoved on to a flight from London Gatwick to Chicago, IL. The problem was I checked in on the flight to Raleigh, NC.

The similarity between the destinations is striking. Courtesy of British Airways. Eventually, I made it from Chicago to North Carolina. Courtesy of American Airlines.

Edited by Forethat

Has anyone ever been to Zanzibar "International" Airport? Had to bribe the woman at "immigration" to let us go outside to smoke or even to go to the loo.

Me, mother in wheelchair, sister and bro on our way to Mombassa and the guy kept insisting we were going to Dar es Salaam.

Finally got on the right flight. After shouting and being shouted at. Quite frightening. Were we glad to get to the beach!!

Nobody has asked the other question - What destination was on their TICKETS?

Maybe there was an error by the agent, and they did not notice the "M" instead of the "R"?

Did they follow the trail to the plane by the Flight number on their tickets?

The ticket totals at the gate should balance the loading list amount.

OK, I have taken the wrong train out of London Paddington, because the the other (wrong) train was on my normal platform, and I was running to catch it - such was life working in The City ( - running from work to the station to get home).

I could imagine that happening in the cattle shed at Kuala Lumpur, aka the LCCT, but even then they still check your boarding pass before letting you out of the terminal.
Trust me, they check your boarding pass at Gatwick as well.

Thought you said wrong planet.

Ah me, age and eyesight...

Well come to think of it, I DID kind of wonder why the earth kept getting smaller and the other guys were putting on these strange outfits. :)