Hung Parliament Sends Uk Pound Crashing...!

jasonr3255

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa..I don't know what I would do without 18th century englishmen to guide the way. Simply profound...

The greatest democratic system in the world. Watch and learn everyone. :)

The time machine is remarkable. Show us the way..be sure to provide proofs with your scientific devices...

Whoa..I don't know what I would do without 18th century englishmen to guide the way. Simply profound...

The greatest democratic system in the world. Watch and learn everyone. :D

The time machine is remarkable. Show us the way..be sure to provide proofs with your scientific devices...

This is the true meaning of a hung parliament. Everyone chokes. :)

The greatest democratic system in the world. Watch and learn everyone. :D

This is the true meaning of a hung parliament. Everyone chokes. :)

Simply astounding. I wasn't aware. Maybe English common law should have intercepted the much inferior colonial (American) law to set an example!

Gordon Brown announced he will stand down by Oct but could be before then. The other deal Labour have thrown into the arena is a "whipped" deal on AV voting and a full referendum on PR. The tories would have to go some to top that, not sure they can.

PS. CM, you must be gnawing at the bit by now ? :):D

Edited by roamer

Simply astounding. I wasn't aware. Maybe English common law should have intercepted the much inferior colonial (American) law to set an example!

The stupidity of a three party system. Bring back the true democracy of us and them so us mere mortals can make a proper choice.

Gordon Brown announced he will stand down by Oct but could be before then. The other deal Labour have thrown into the arena is a "whipped" deal on AV voting and a full referendum on PR. The tories would have to go some to top that, not sure they can.

PS. CM, you must be gnawing at the bit by now ? :D:D

If the Labour deal is to happen then Brown must go immediately. Hence the long faces tonight hiding even longer knives... :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but, a so called Lib/Lab pact STILL wont result in a majority government(?)

Needed: 326

Labour: 258

Lib Dem: 57

Total: 315

Even adding the seats of the major "Mickey Mouse" parties such as SNP and Plaid Cymru the total is still short by 2

Either a courtship with "A N Other" parties or a minority government isnt very good news for the Pound i wouldnt think

Penkoprod

He has....... :D ...

everyone (not me) are waiting for the 2 Multi Millionaire playboys Cleggi and Cammi to make up their Bliddy minds.....

I want this ..NO cant have ...well how about this ...NO way ...surely we can agree to...NO you must be joking...

Jesu M & J...what a carry on .....right pairs of ..Divs and Knicks.... :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but, a so called Lib/Lab pact STILL wont result in a majority government(?)

Even adding the seats of the major "Mickey Mouse" parties such as SNP and Plaid Cymru the total is still short by 2

Either a courtship with "A N Other" parties or a minority government isnt very good news for the Pound i wouldnt think

Penkoprod

Ulster Unionists.

Penkoprod

Ulster Unionists.

Irish Republicans.

He has....... :D ...

everyone (not me) are waiting for the 2 Multi Millionaire playboys Cleggi and Cammi to make up their Bliddy minds.....

I want this ..NO cant have ...well how about this ...NO way ...surely we can agree to...NO you must be joking...

Jesu M & J...what a carry on .....right pairs of ..Divs and Knicks.... :)

They love the attention and the free ride! Long may it continue for some of the politicians....its pathetic to watch as the cost to taxpayers continues to spiral upwards.

we should have a pool to see how long the next government will last.

with contagion coming to UK voters very soon I reckon 11 months.

the Greeks would prefer to die on the streets than work for a living free welfare.

UK joining the Euro yes guys ehhhh

Germans will, unsurprisingly, be resistant. In order to ensure quantitative easing doesn’t trigger rampant consumer price growth, they will make every effort to enforce austerity across Greece, Spain and Portugal. Governments will be made to stick to their promises of fiscal probity, of tax hikes and spending cuts, come what may. This, in turn, will drive peripheral Europe into depression and deflation. Their debt loads will remain as onerous as they’ve ever been, but they also won’t have much in the way of growth.

For these countries, this free lunch won’t seem free and it won’t have felt like lunch either. Germans will come to be seen as multilateralists, benefiting at the expense of their European partners. The Euro will be seen as a straight jacket for them, boosting German exports but keeping peripheral Europeans in permanent recession.

Anti-German sentiment will become increasingly widespread across these countries over the years to come, as Michael Pettis, the Peking University economist, recently pointed out on his China Financial blog.

Great. Germans can only hope a potentially weak Euro and the German exports it should stimulate will make up the difference.

is it really the end of the pound.

no

The premise that a hung parliament would create a policy vacuum is wide of the mark, as all parties know they need to bite the bullet and deal with the budget deficit.

we should have a pool to see how long the next government will last.

with contagion coming to UK voters very soon I reckon 11 months.

the Greeks would prefer to die on the streets than work for a living free welfare.

UK joining the Euro yes guys ehhhh

Germans will, unsurprisingly, be resistant. In order to ensure quantitative easing doesn’t trigger rampant consumer price growth, they will make every effort to enforce austerity across Greece, Spain and Portugal. Governments will be made to stick to their promises of fiscal probity, of tax hikes and spending cuts, come what may. This, in turn, will drive peripheral Europe into depression and deflation. Their debt loads will remain as onerous as they’ve ever been, but they also won’t have much in the way of growth.

For these countries, this free lunch won’t seem free and it won’t have felt like lunch either. Germans will come to be seen as multilateralists, benefiting at the expense of their European partners. The Euro will be seen as a straight jacket for them, boosting German exports but keeping peripheral Europeans in permanent recession.

Anti-German sentiment will become increasingly widespread across these countries over the years to come, as Michael Pettis, the Peking University economist, recently pointed out on his China Financial blog.

Great. Germans can only hope a potentially weak Euro and the German exports it should stimulate will make up the difference.

is it really the end of the pound.

no

The premise that a hung parliament would create a policy vacuum is wide of the mark, as all parties know they need to bite the bullet and deal with the budget deficit.

Irish Republicans.

Is a referendum on the 'Ulster Question', beyond the means of holding government.

If both main parties are conceding reforms on the alternative vote, what else will they sell their soul for.

I know, I know not worth even contemplating...........

The rainbow coalition or Lib Lab pact would include 258 Labour MP's, 57 Lib Dem MP's, 3 SDLP MP's ( these are the Irish nationalists you refer to, these 3 MP's always take their seats unlike the 5 Sinn Fein Mp's who do not take their seats), Naomi Long the Alliance party MP a non sectarian from Ireland, Caroline Lucas the green MP and then 3 Plaid Cymru MP's.

All this adds up to 323 and does not include the SNP who might or might not be brought in, and gives a majority in the parliament this government would not last long but would have enough time to force through electoral reform. With the change to PR it would mean that the UK would NEVER again have another right wing government there would never be another tory PM, I for one am praying for this.

Actually if you do the rather convoluted maths it does work out, the factor that you have to take out is the Irish Republican vote , purely on the grounds that they do not take their seats in the House. Then, if you line up, the smaller parties and see who they would normally align with you do get a majority. Having said that, I'm not saying that this won't be pork belly trading, it will be.

I accept that the idea of the Conservative/liberal coalition makes more mathematical sense, but I think there is an important factor here that is not being taken into consideration when you're simply doing the maths. That is the assumption that Conservative MPs will go along with this in their entirety. Simply not going to happen. There is a large group of them, red meat Tories, who have huge majorities in the shires. They will simply not be prepared for any form of proportional representation, let alone making any form of accommodation on other aspects of dealing with the Liberal Democrats.

Which ever way the cookie crumbles I feel we have produced an unworkable government.

I dimly recall an Ancient Greek proverb that the mountains have gone into Labor and produced a ridiculous mouse. That certainly seems to be the case here.

The rainbow coalition or Lib Lab pact would include 258 Labour MP's, 57 Lib Dem MP's, 3 SDLP MP's ( these are the Irish nationalists you refer to, these 3 MP's always take their seats unlike the 5 Sinn Fein Mp's who do not take their seats), Naomi Long the Alliance party MP a non sectarian from Ireland, Caroline Lucas the green MP and then 3 Plaid Cymru MP's.

All this adds up to 323 and does not include the SNP who might or might not be brought in, and gives a majority in the parliament this government would not last long but would have enough time to force through electoral reform. With the change to PR it would mean that the UK would NEVER again have another right wing government there would never be another tory PM, I for one am praying for this.

See where your coming from but the best estimates for PR are around 4 years, it involves massive amounts of work, referendum preparation and boundary changes, a lot of this has statutory time limits etc, not likely could be done within the life of this parliament.

However there is another way. If you use the term "left of centre" to describe Labour & Lib Dems they take 55% of the vote even on this poor showing, throw in the "others" it becomes a lot higher. They only need to put together this rainbow coalition for a few months and then call another election, having agreed an electoral pact that in certain constituencies they will not field candidates against each other. Not saying this won't cause problems but they are by no means insurmountable. Simple fact is that in many seats Labour and Lib Dems split the vote massively, and I do mean massively, it would take a wholesale defection from their ranks to the Tories to change the outcome.

The net result would leave the Tories pleading for PR as the only way of maintaining other than a token presence in the Commons.

For those who would say this is not possible, you might be right. I would simply say that the two parties know how close they are in ideological terms and that now anything becomes possible.

See where your coming from but the best estimates for PR are around 4 years, it involves massive amounts of work, referendum preparation and boundary changes, a lot of this has statutory time limits etc, not likely could be done within the life of this parliament.

However there is another way. If you use the term "left of centre" to describe Labour & Lib Dems they take 55% of the vote even on this poor showing, throw in the "others" it becomes a lot higher. They only need to put together this rainbow coalition for a few months and then call another election, having agreed an electoral pact that in certain constituencies they will not field candidates against each other. Not saying this won't cause problems but they are by no means insurmountable. Simple fact is that in many seats Labour and Lib Dems split the vote massively, and I do mean massively, it would take a wholesale defection from their ranks to the Tories to change the outcome.

The net result would leave the Tories pleading for PR as the only way of maintaining other than a token presence in the Commons.

For those who would say this is not possible, you might be right. I would simply say that the two parties know how close they are in ideological terms and that now anything becomes possible.

If the rainbow coalition could pass PR as law with no referendum, then the long process you describe could begin and no future parliament could stop it.

As for the left of center standing down at different constituency I do not believe this would work because there are too many local issues across the country that individual party members on all sides would just not give up.

Noel,

You're a bit out of place on this thread - you actually do know what you're talking about! :)

Just to add some background the SDLP usually take the Labour whip and therefore can be considered as close to Labour without being Labour - they wouldn't thank me for saying it but in practical terms they're almost a Northern Irish Labour Party

The Unionists on the other hand have an almost equally close with the party formerly known as the Conservative & Unionist Party. It's strethcing the point (but not by much) to say that in effect Labour have 261 and Cons have 314

The 6 SNP are almost begging to join the Lib-Lab coaltion and PC are expected to want in too - plus the independent parties makes well over 330 natural bedfellows versus 314 in the Tory/Unionist camp out of 655 active seats, which means that as Sinn Fein never attend 328 is the effective majority

This may be the most logical outcome for now and a good result for those who didn't want either Cameron or Brown!

Edited by Gambles

So...............not a "Lib /Lab" pact, but a Lib/Lab/UU/ (Do the Republicans even take their seats in Parliament?)

What a ferking mess !!!!!! :)

Penkoprod

No ...they dont recognise the family at the end of the Mall and will never take an "oath of alliegance.......hence word REPUBLICIANS :D

Not sure but believe that they now take their salary :D ...need to ask Gerry Adams :D

Just for info>...

It is a quirk of history that Britain's first female MP not to take her seat in Parliament ... Countess Markievicz had won a Dublin seat for Sinn Fein in 1918, while Nancy Astor (Tory) becomes the first recognised woman MP on the 28th of November 1919.... :D

Noel,

You're a bit out of place on this thread - you actually do know what you're talking about! :D

Just to add some background the SDLP usually take the Labour whip and therefore can be considered as close to Labour without being Labour - they wouldn't thank me for saying it but in practical terms they're almost a Northern Irish Labour Party

The Unionists on the other hand have an almost equally close with the party formerly known as the Conservative & Unionist Party. It's strethcing the point (but not by much) to say that in effect Labour have 261 and Cons have 314

The 6 SNP are almost begging to join the Lib-Lab coaltion and PC are expected to want in too - plus the independent parties makes well over 330 natural bedfellows versus 314 in the Tory/Unionist camp out of 655 active seats, which means that as Sinn Fein never attend 328 is the effective majority

This may be the most logical outcome for now and a good result for those who didn't want either Cameron or Brown!

The maths are correct but the reality is that it can only ever be a very short lived government and forcing through any type of electoral reform would be extremely difficult, quite a few Labour MPs not happy about this either, some of them voicing the opinion that they would be better off in opposition until either a Lib/Con coalition or minority Tory goverment collapses in flames. IMHO they may be right.

Either way I think sterling is gonna go west for a while :)

It does not matter who Clegg lines up with it will not improve the exchange rates especially where the baht is concerned.

Britain produces very little in the way of exports but imports an astronomical amount of goods. Pick up any article in a British shop and see where it was made!

The welfare payments now exceed the total amount of the nation's income tax.

Some families are 3rd and 4th generation benefit recipients. They are content to watch TV all day and surf the internet. Were they to be found jobs they would be incapable of getting up to go and do them. That's why companies are happy to employ Eastern Europeans who still have a work ethic.

Housing is so expensive that rent and council tax make many folk worse off financially if they were to find a job on the minimum wage which many employers refuse to exceed.

We are still sending out millions in overseas aid.

Apprenticeships and training schemes for our youngsters are practically non existent.

Our cities are awash with unemployable third world immigrants who need to be taken care of financially. Many of whom speak very little English, that's why benefit offices display notices in a multitude of languages.

We have 6 million public employees who the tax payer has to pay for along with their pensions.

There is a steady stream of professionals and tradesmen quitting the UK to seek a new life overseas, taking their expertise and life savings with them. They are doing so because they hate what the UK is becoming and wish to get away from the high levels of crime, tax and drunken thuggery.

None of the political parties have a clue as to how to tackle these problems so don't expect to get more baht for your pound unless the Thai economy collapses.

Lots of speculation over the last hour that the Lib/Lab deal is off and that packing cases have been arriving at the back of Downing St. Some senior Labour figures came out against the deal today so could be the truth. Its a result for Labour if so. Government is a poisoned chalice to inherit at the moment and any Con/Lib package will end in tears....certainly there will be a few tears at the next election. My neighbours are Lib canvassers and activists, they are ready to tear up their membership at any deal with the Tories and they tell me that's the view held by many. Think the Libs will end up getting sodomised by the Tories, would have thought that Jeremy Thorpe taught them its better to give than receive :)

Oh well suppose CM will be getting in touch to claim his case of beer soon... :D

Well the fat lady has started singing and Cam boy has done the hand shake but stiill no firm news as yet as to what the "arrangement" might be.......

....however Lib Dem MPs and peers are meeting in a few minutes to vote on whether to accept the deal agreed between party leaders and the Conservatives

so should come out in the dirty washing..... :)