Which Bank -- Why?

Your bank of choice?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If this has been covered before I cannot find it!! But, we appear getting a number of enquiries on the subject and I thought it might be a reasonable guide to new comers.

I’m with Kasikornbank only because I could fall into it’s doors after falling out of my BKK apartments bed.

Good Points: Branches and ATMs everywhere, ATM card works internationally, good internet banking facility, good customer services. :D

Bad Points: Poor interest – 0.8%pa, endless ques, relatively high fees – cost me 60 Baht to deposit 40K because I wasn’t at my home branch!! :o

Non residents can open accounts but get much lower rates than Thais.Now if you get on well with the bank they may tick the box that gives you the higher rate. :o Thai Military are an excellent small bank with good personal attention and bend the rules once you get to know them.

I'm at Bangkok Bank, but only because my wife is... (made it less hassle, as she asked if I could open an account while she was depositing some cash in her account...).

Also used the one in London to transfer funds before now. Simple way to ensure they transfer Sterling (assuming it's a fairly big lump of cash) is to say it's for purchase of a condo (even if it's not...).

If your UK bank tells you they can't transfer Sterling, tell them the same thing, and, in writing, that you will charge them the costs (including FX rates) involved in recrediting the funds to the UK and redoing the transfer in Sterling if they screw up.

All UK banks (apart from the Nationwide) seem to have one goal in life - to milk you of as much of your money as they can.

Edit: - Why are Siam City and Siam Commercial Bank the same option. I didn't think they were related. (if they are - why does Fashion Island in Bangkok have branches of both?)

Edited by bkk_mike

Edit: - Why are Siam City and Siam Commercial Bank the same option. I didn't think they were related. (if they are - why does Fashion Island in Bangkok have branches of both?)

Cause I don't know enough about the Thai banking system hence the thread :o