Shakedown Of Cigarette Smuggler - The Ugly Truth

onlycw

It's let's-head-to-an ATM time, once again. 4 cartons costing 360 Baht turning into a fine of first 17,775, the 18,600 and since some more official wants another 100 Baht, 18,700.

They take the passport. They won't allow that cal to the Tourist Police or the embassy. No one cares to explain how they arrive at such a fine based on the actual cost of the cigarettes of 4 x 90 Baht in a supermarket in Poipet.

Q: isn't that a civil matter?

Q: what would be the correct amount? Receipt is available...

Q: So this is how they enforce civil fines? Jail time? No translator, pushing an incredible number of Thai documents the hapless farang cannot even read?

And then there is the double standard. Don't tell me they throw Thais in jail over some fines. Don't tell me 360 Baht cigarettes justify a 18,700 Baht fine. Don't tell em this is "the law".

First, these crooks push for $ 44,XXX.

Yeah, welcome to tourist paradise!

Enjoy your stay and bring many credit cards for in your hour of need, you need to max them out or else quote "get 70 days in jail without a lawyer". That, I cannot believe. But now, bring it on, your smuggling tale and relevant fines.

They will screw you to the wall the first chance they get in almost every scenario that you can think of.

I generally walk around regarding most people as my enemy (when I'm sober) until they prove otherwise, if you do that then you won't get scammed so often but they will still try, try and try again.

Edited by ukrules

Did this tale happen to you OP...?. If it did get over it and wipe the tears from your eyes, the limit if I'm correct is 1 carton of 200 allowed into Thailand , if it did happen to you then have you learnt a lesson ?...

Dit it happen at the airport or land crossing..?.

Edit, seen it happened at Poipet..

Only thing this thread is good for IMO is a warning to others who read it not to exceed the limits allowed..

Edited by MB1

They will screw you to the wall the first chance they get in almost every scenario that you can think of.

I generally walk around regarding most people as my enemy (when I'm sober) until they prove otherwise, if you do that then you won't get scammed so often but they will still try, try and try again.

I take it then that you

1) don't live in Thailand

and

2) are not a happy person (paranoia = the belief that people are out to get you)

"Individuals found to be in possession of smoking tobacco (includes cigars) in excess of 500 grams, and without duty stamps affixed, will be fined 4,675 baht per carton (10 packs). "

If you smuggle anything they will calculate the fine on all cigarettes, no duty free allowance for smugglers.

4 cartons times 4675Baht is 18,700Baht, same as they fined you.

A lot of people think that the whole world is like Europe/USA etc. You get caught by customs trying to bring in more than you're allowed and it's all a huge laugh and a joke. Just pay up the duty or forfeit the overage and you're on your merry little way.

I was tempted to say that the airlines should make it plain on the approach to Bangkok that if you're over and you're caught it will be very expensive. But then I thought why should they? Their job is to fly all the pax to their destinations, if they are stupid enough to assume all foreigners are "just down from the trees" then they deserve what they get.

OP...Agree that two wrongs dont make a right, but the law has been broken, you are only suppose to bring 1 X carton in, ie 200 cigarettes.....the title of your thread "Cigarette Smuggler".......if it was you, you were smuggling, you got caught...stop crying about it.....

FYI...some info on another website..

"Visitors bringing into Thailand more than 1 carton of tobacco would be subjected to fines of approximately 467.5 Baht per pack for the excess tobacco"

You had 4 cartons = 40 packs = Allowed 10 packs

Therefore 30 packs @ THB 467.5 equals THB 14025.00 + a little tea money for the boys.

We could even assume the info above is out of date so getting sprung for 18k could be right, it also says on the same site that you can be jailed as well...

mb1

re ... the limit if I'm correct is 1 carton of 200 allowed into Thailand ,

you are right 100 %

weather from laos . malaysia , cambodia or myanmar the import limit of ciggaretes into thailand is 200

any more .... pay the fine and smile op : )

dave2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A fortune for the "Cheap Charlie Brand"..Jeez I bet the guy spat his :) out when he realised the fine.. :D

Agree with you though, there cheap enough in Thailand but Farang still smuggles them..Doh..

Edited by MB1

Where exactly is the scam / shake down ? A SMUGGLER is caught and fined. End of. The greedy fool has now been fined nearly 19000 baht for trying to save a few hundred ? No need to bring your credit card just follow the law here and you will have no problem :D

Cheap and stupid. What a combination :)

There must be 20 threads hidden the bowls of this forum on the same subject. OK their methods of apprehension are a little different to the western world BUT well published.

It's well known that in Nong Khai the customs police follow suspects miles into Thailand before making an arrest. We have had friends searched in the river market after a visa run then subjected to a terrible day and 10's of thousands of baht in fines.

Do the crime do bla bla bla. Up to U!

"Shakedown Of Cigarette Smuggler"

As an adult, you should be ready to pay for the consequences of your actions. By your own admission, you tried to smuggle cigarettes into Thailand without paying the appropriate duties. I do not have any sympathy for you, and I applaud the police for holding you responsible.

Seems OP has not been in Suva watching Thai citizens returning from working overseas having their bags gone through with a fine tooth comb.

The law is the law. If you are unhappy with it, then don't try breaking it next time.

Amazing ... foreigner comes into another country, knowingly breaks law, gets caught and subjected to unfamiliar red tape. Then, same foreigner says sarcastically :"Yeah, welcome to tourist paradise!"

Some people will always think themsleves as above the law of developing countries ... anything short of red carpets and kowtowing natives to ALL farangs shall be most unacceptable. :)

A mate of mine took two (2) PACKS (40 single cigarettes) into Singapore from Batam, he declared his one pack in his pocket but forgot he had a second pack in his bag, which was found.

Remember we are talking about packs, not cartons of fags here, he was fined SGD200 (4,600 Baht) for the second pack.

I guess lucky he didn't take 4 cartons in. 1 open pack allowed in Sing, 39 packs over the limit = 179,400 baht.

What i do when i go to the UK (where the price of cigs are double what they are here in Switzerland) is i buy a few packs and put them in my luggage and then i buy a carton in duty free. I try to assess how many packs i will need for a weeks holiday. There is no way i am going to pay 7 quid for a pack of cigs.

I have never been caught.

The first time i went to Thailand I bought a thousand Bensons in Duty Free in Geneva. I went through customs in Bangkok with no probs. But that was ten years ago. We also had about 30 litres of French wine, cheese and salami!!! Between three of us.

Never again!!

I think that if you have open packets of cigs in your backpack - they are for personal use? Dunno.

I respect customs now, and would never try to smuggle anything into any country anymore. Apart from the UK.

Meat. There is a special sausuage that you can only get here that my mum loves. So I pack a few of those in my luggage.

I know it is against the law, but what the hel_l.

Same when i come back i have a suitcase filled with bacon, sausages, haggis, cheddar etc.

I just go through the green channel with my angelic smile - works all the time.

And don't tell me you have not done it....

Meat. There is a special sausuage that you can only get here that my mum loves. So I pack a few of those in my luggage.

I know it is against the law, but what the hel_l.

Same when i come back i have a suitcase filled with bacon, sausages, haggis, cheddar etc.

I just go through the green channel with my angelic smile - works all the time.

And don't tell me you have not done it....

Guilty! And Bangkok Airways codeshares have made it even easier...! :)

I merrily carted 2 litres of spirits through Thai customs upon arrival eight times in the past two years, it wasn't until my last trip that i discovered (on this forum) that the limit in Thailand is 1 litre. I guess I'm lucky they don't check the duty free bags too often, the bags they pack the booze in Sydney are bright yellow too.

Isn't the issue the smuggling itself? You get off the plane, you get your bags, you go through immigration and customs. You claim you have "nothing to declare" or you claim you have things to declare. Failure to claim means you pay the duty and the penalty.

Scottish elders rebuking sin - well done! Should I pour ash over my head and should mea culpa?

Tales of Suvarnabhumi airport shake downs come to mind.

4 cartons = stupid but not the crime of the century. And now tell me are they throwing some old woman into the slammer over this until the 18,700 (first 44,XXX) is paid? Oh, it's the racial thing again? Bein Thai versus being a farang? Or having an ATM card which can be maxed out?

Wait until you get blackmailed and driven by armed guys to an ATM. Wait till you have to sign stuff and have no clue what you are signing. Wait and see that they won't let you make that phone call to the embassy - then let's discuss this again.

The economic and other stupidity of it all (360 Baht purchase price, what a bargain) is kinda obvious, isn't it? Rub it in, you who won't make mistakes.

Scottish elders rebuking sin - well done! Should I pour ash over my head and should mea culpa?

Tales of Suvarnabhumi airport shake downs come to mind.

4 cartons = stupid but not the crime of the century. And now tell me are they throwing some old woman into the slammer over this until the 18,700 (first 44,XXX) is paid? Oh, it's the racial thing again? Bein Thai versus being a farang? Or having an ATM card which can be maxed out?

Wait until you get blackmailed and driven by armed guys to an ATM. Wait till you have to sign stuff and have no clue what you are signing. Wait and see that they won't let you make that phone call to the embassy - then let's discuss this again.

The economic and other stupidity of it all (360 Baht purchase price, what a bargain) is kinda obvious, isn't it? Rub it in, you who won't make mistakes.

You've been unfortunate to get caught but would you run the risk again? :)